Chinese-Forums

2007-2008 schoolyear dates (Yunnan Normal University)

wanderliz

Hi there

I have an offer for Yunnan Normal (BA Chinese Language & Lit) - it starts from 3rd Sept. 07.

They are really terrible at answering emails so you better call if you have questions: 0086-871-5516251 - speak to Ms Liu Xin. I'm not sure if the deadline has passed already!

thanks for your reply clive.

they've already accepted my app, i'm just waiting to receive my visa materials from them.

do you know if September 3rd is the date classes actually start? I know there are registration/placement tests beforehand, just need to know how far in advance. (sorry to be so specific - trying to buy plane tickets that maximize my time before I need to be there)

thanks for the phone number too :D

Hi

As far as I know the registration covers the placement test...not sure though as it doesnt say - but you must be available to register during the dates above otherwise 'you will be regarded as giving up this admission' (from the notice of admission that they sent me).

Best call to clarify

cj

beating a dead horse...

"dates" above? your reply makes it sound like perhaps it gives a date range (such as 3rd september through some other date, or some other date through 3rd september.) if so i just need to know what that "some other date" is

thanks very much cj :)

Liz

http://www.icis.cn/en_Article.asp?ArticleId=169

from their website; out of date, but fall semester schedule should be similar.

the whole process will take about three days, due to disorganization and their new,

improved 4-1/2 hour lunch break.

the "placement test" only takes five minutes where they have you read samples from

the textbooks.

thanks, that's just what i was looking for.

no worries, they've mailed my docs, just didn't mention anything about dates in the email they sent me and i'm trying to buy my ticket now

so, guess i'll see you this fall. thanks again for your help - i owe you a beer or something:D

Liz

Hi Everyone,

Many of you probably know this already, but just in case...

Yunnan Normal University now has an updated calendar posted on the English version of their website:

http://www.icis.cn/en_Article.asp?ArticleId=273

22 Aug -- 29 Aug 2007: Registration, checking visas, placement test, and paying tuition

28 Aug: Orientation

29 Aug: "Take physical check"

30 Aug -- 31 Aug: Buy textbooks and pick up timetables

3 Sep: "Class starts according to your timetable"

I know I was confused at first too though. They sent me an email on May 14th telling me they were sending my acceptance letter and visa forms, but they never told me anything about the school calendar until June 24th. (I am grateful that they took the time to email me back though. :)). Anyway, Ms. Liu Xin also told me that the semester ends on January 11th and that their National Holiday goes from 1 Oct to 7 Oct 2007.

I'm getting a little worried because my JW202 and Notice of Admission haven't arrived yet. Should I be concerned? Maybe if it doesn't arrive within the next week or so I'll write them another email or actually call.

I'm excited to start this new school year (if my paperwork comes in time that is. Hehe). I've never been to China before so this will definitely be an adventure. Maybe I will meet some of you there sometime. :)

• 3 months later...

There is an online application form at http://www.icis.cn/index14.asp and you can get the English language explanation of the whole application process at http://www.chinatefl.com/yunnan/study/ynsfdx.html

I applied this way a couple of months back and received my JW202 and notice of admission without any problems recently.

I don't know the exact dates of the Spring 2008 start as they haven't updated the university website (as far as I'm aware), but going on last year's dates the registration process for the next semester will start in the last week of February.

If anyone else knows the Spring 2008 dates I'd certainly like to know!

Cheers. :D

• 3 weeks later...