Chinese-Forums

Need info and experiences help with Wuhan and uni there...

Shadowdh

Hi all,

well as it turns out its looking like I might be off to Wuhan 武汉 and the university will be

华中师范大学 Huazhong normal university... I would love to hear of anyones experiences with Wuhan (what it was like for learning, amenities etc) and especially what the University is like... many thanks for any info anyone can provide (especially first hand)...

I visit this unversity several times. It is a nice unversity and very good study atmosphere there. there are many Osmanthus fragrans Lour trees there. Very nice smell in autumn :)

but a bit hot in summer. during summer vacation, you had better choose other cities to go travelling

have nice days in Wuhan :)

• 3 months later...

I was a student of 华中师范大学-附属第一中学.

Wuhan was the one of three (or four) hottest city in China, but not any more. bcz today, other cities also as hot as Wuhan, some of them even hotter than Wuhan.

The food is yummy for me, hope you can enjoy it~

Thanks Magudo, I have been here for about 6 weeks now and the University is top notch, teaching is excellent and people of 武汉非常好!Apart from missing my wife and kids like you wouldnt believe I am really enjoying the experience... the learning curve is very steep but I am hoping that I am rising to the challenge... I must post a review at some point...

• 1 month later...

Hey Shadowdh,

Actually, I am in Wuhan teaching right now, and I think I would like to enroll in Hua Shi next year... Can you tell me what kind of program you are on? What it is like? Why you chose it? And if you are on a scholarship? Well, any help you can give would be great. Actually, I don't live too far from you either.

Thanks,

Nate

Actually, I am in Wuhan teaching right now, and I think I would like to enroll in Hua Shi next year... Can you tell me what kind of program you are on? What it is like? Why you chose it? And if you are on a scholarship? Well, any help you can give would be great. Actually, I don't live too far from you either.

Hi there,

I am on a year course just learning Chinese. Its very very good and I am rather pleased with the University but more importantly I am really really pleased with the teaching. I didnt actually choose it, it was chosen for me as I am on a scholarship. I originally wanted to go to Beijing and one of the unis there but the scholarship people had other plans for me...

When I arrived the enrolment process was pretty painless as was the process for getting accommodation (but that I assume wont be an issue for you)... They people here are very friendly and helpful. (But that does not mean the usual uni bureaucracy isnt here)... I had to sit a brief test to check my level of Chinese for class placement and they seemed to have got it spot on with me. The classes are divided in a pretty standard format. Comprehension, reading, speaking and listening. All of my teachers are really really good. They are clear easy to understand and really approachable. I wish I could take them back to the UK with me next year. If there is anything else I could help you with just PM me or send me an email, if you like we could meet up to chat too... in all I like this place and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn Chinese.

• 3 years later...

I would like to revive this thread (after years of inactivity)!

It's looking like I am in the same position as Shadowh was in a couple years ago (CSC scholarship recipient, originally gunning for Beijing, but placed in Wuhan instead). From what I can tell, the reviews for Huazhong Normal (judging by this forum) seem to be quite favourable. (I have to admit, when I received the acceptance I was surprised that I would not be going to Beijing, but, after discovering this thread, I am thoroughly looking forward to firing up my studies next September!)

However, I know absolutely nothing about either the university or Wuhan! It would be greatly appreciated if people share their experiences of Huazhong, or, more generally, Wuhan with me!

Has anyone found it difficult to improve his/her Mandarin in Wuhan - that is, was the local accent/dialect very strong? Are there any places that you would recommend I check out (especially landscapes)? What is the food like? Did anyone have a tough time with the weather?

Also, is there anyone else going to Huazhong Normal this coming September?