Chinese-Forums

FUDAN OR JIAOTONG UNI? IN SHANGHAI

ziazia311

Hey people this is my 1st thread and post! :)

Yes i am a newbie, but i seriously need help. For months i have been thinking about which uni i should attend for my mandarin class, urgh fudan or jiaotong? Please help! I just want to get the best mandarin education, as i am chinese who doesn't speak chinese! :lol: Yes i'm a weirdo! so people, please help! i know you guys are the best! :D

btw the reason for this is 1st fudan uni apparently is full for sept intake, but jiatong still has space.. so if everyone agrees fudan is better i might just go shanghai march next year instead of this sept!

so people please please help me! i really want to enjoy my time there while learning!

thanks thanks thanks heaps! :wink: :wink:

EDIT: Link to Ts&Cs, see below

lol。i'm a student from high school affiliated to Fudan University。

Fudan is regarded as the best university in Shanghai and received high remarks about its learning environment。^^~

if you got admitted, maybe i can show u around~lol。

Remember that as a foreigner learning Chinese, the ranking of the university is of close to zero importance. Foreign students are admitted to Chinese classes completely unselectively irrespective of the ranking of the university, so the foreigners in your classes at Fudan will be just as clever (or stupid, you choose) as anywhere else.

As for learning environment... I'm not quite sure about what is being referred to. Am I the only one who never visited the library or other communal studying facilities during my studies in China?

As for the Chinese kids at top universities, they will all be extremely clever, and extremely busy studying all the time. Since you will not have any classes with them, however, that won't affect your studies at all. Rather, it might be more difficult to find easy-going and laid-back Chinese friends in this environment than at a lesser university (where students have more time for fun and play). Even here at Jiaotong in Xi'an, a lot of students are very busy because they have to study most of the time, and one of my Chinese teachers said that the students here are quite different compared to those at other universities around the city.

If gato isn't a moderator here, someone promote him.

ziazia, what yonglin says is true. Frankly, the relative "prestige" between the major universities should not play into your decision as to which university's Chinese language program you should enroll in. Furthermore, don't even think about doing something incredibly silly as attaching which "university" you studied "chinese" in on your resume/CV.

Given that the language programs from all of these schools will only occupy 3-4 hours a day, all these programs are more similar than they are different (and you'll likely be playing a lot more than you'll be studying). Your own dedication towards learning and your teachers will play a far more important role in how fast and well you learn than which school you choose. The first depends on you and the second is something you can't really control by choosing schools. They all have good and bad teachers.

If you're a beginner, going to Fudan would't really make a difference.

I would advise you to go to East Normal University or Shanghai Foreign Language University the location is more convenient, Chinese students are more friendly and girls are prettier.

If your Chinese is good (at least HSK 7/8) then going to Fudan, JiaoTong & TongJi would make more sense, not because of the Chinese classes, I think they all are similar, but because you can also go audit classes in other majors, with Chinese students. For example Economy, Politics, IT etc...

I went to JiaoTong as a newbie student and was really impressed by the quality of the teachers there. I was in a class for western students and all our teachers had a PhD in teaching Chinese as a second language. During the second term our pace was a bit slow as the student groups got rearranged. Overall I am very happy with my time at JiaoDa.

Fudan uni is much better place to learn mandarin simply because Fudan's chines language and literature major is very famous in china while jiaotong is good at science.

That's for students in the regular academic programs. May not be true for teaching of Chinese as a foreign language.

That's for students in the regular academic programs. May not be true for teaching of Chinese as a foreign language.
Could not agree with you more. JiaoTong XuHui Campus (where School of International Education is) is also located quite close to downtown Shanghai, which is a nice perk. I haven't been to any FuDan Campus but I think it's rather far from city center.