Chinese-Forums

Good Chinese music?

OneEye

Oooh! Interesting post. I'm a big Bjork and Radiohead fan too, amongst other "alt" music. That being said I do enjoy some mindless C-Pop every now and then.

My two favourite Chinese singers I'd recommend to you are Sun Yanzi 孙燕姿 and Faye Wong 王菲, although I'm not sure if you'd call them C-Pop in the traditional sense of the word. Especially Faye Wong, seeing as she'd had a pretty monolithic career - not all her albums have that washed out treble-max sound like Cyndi Wang, et al. Their clips are all up on youtube if you want to check them out.

Very intersting post, indeed. You are right, Faye Wong has realy something special. I never forget her version of Sinead O'Connor's "Thank you for hearing me" (can be watched here: [http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=9gPZ4N86R5g witch is almost better then the original (only my opinion :mrgreen:).

But I also listen to Sammi Cheng and Denise Ho (or Hocc), both with great voices and (sometimes) very good lyrics. And - gone but a real Queen of Canto Pop - Anita Mui.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Many thanks for these and the other recommendations - it's been ages since I plugged any new Chinese music into my collection - probably one of the early Modern Sky samplers from back in the day, when 面的s still roamed the streets, and I could afford to buy two 鸡蛋灌饼s at a time. Am going to listen to some of this stuff - not sure how much of it will stick, but it's all good fun.