Chinese-Forums

How do you say 俄?

Guest shinjo17

• 2 weeks later...

When we were learning the names of different countries, my Chinese teacher told me that in the word 俄国, 俄 can be pronounced either with a rising or falling tone. So according to her, Russia is either e2guo2 or e4guo2, it's just up to the speaker and which one he/she prefers. That sounds a bit funny to me. I have a theory, though: maybe since it's such an unusual character and nowadays only used in the names of foreign countries etc, people have mixed the new pronunciation with the old one and ended up using both. Personally I would prefer second tone.

When we were learning the names of different countries, my Chinese teacher told me that in the word 俄国, 俄 can be pronounced either with a rising or falling tone. So according to her, Russia is either e2guo2 or e4guo2, it's just up to the speaker and which one he/she prefers. That sounds a bit funny to me. I have a theory, though: maybe since it's such an unusual character and nowadays only used in the names of foreign countries etc, people have mixed the new pronunciation with the old one and ended up using both. Personally I would prefer second tone.

你的老师很有意思。呵呵,我没听说过俄国念第四声过,以后有空查一下字典。

呵呵,我马上查了“金山词霸”(一种最流行的英汉词汇学习软件)里面的解释很全面,可以看到,里面并没有第四声(4tone),just 2 tone and 3tone。但是3 tone is only used in ancient chinese。

字典里的解释很全面,恐怕很多中国人都不了解,除了俄国的意思外,其它都是古语。有兴趣可以看一看。其中还有一些英文解释。

BTW,i recommend this software highly: 金山词霸(kingsoftpowerword)。very useful and very powerful。

===========================

é

<形>

(形声。从人,我声。本义:倾斜)

同本义 [inclined;tilt]

俄,行顷也。——《说文》

侧弁之俄。——《诗·小雅·宾之初筵》

俄轩冕。——扬雄《羽猎赋》。注:“卬也。”

于时曜灵俄景。——张衡《归田赋》

又如:俄景(偏西的阳光)

通“峨”。高耸 [high;towering]。如:俄俄(庄严的样子)

é

<副>

短暂的时间,一会儿 [in a moment;momentarily]

俄而可以为其有矣。——《公羊传·桓公二年》

俄见小虫跃起。——《聊斋志异·促织》

俄,百千人大呼。——《虞初新志·秋声诗自序》

老人俄死,田宅没官。——《笑林》

又如:俄顷时(不一会儿);俄且(即将,马上);俄延(拖延,迟延);俄瞬(短暂的时间,转瞬间);俄刻(顷刻,不长的时间);俄忽(一会儿,极短的时间)

é

<名>

俄罗斯;俄罗斯人 [Russia]

俄语 [Russian]。如:俄汉词典

back, 谢谢 for your answer :)

I'll be dull and answer in English because my 汉语 really isn't good enough yet. :( I had to look up several words from your text too. And I don't want to wear myself out because I still have to write an essay this weekend... 一篇大概2000个汉字的作文, 关于中国的传统节日. That's a lot of work for me. :roll:

I was suspecting my teacher may not be right in this... 一般来说, I think she is very good. 她是北京人, a professional teacher, very nice and all, but sometimes I feel like she simplifies things too much or sth.

Do you know where I could get this 金山词霸? BTW, I love the word 软件! 我想,听起来很可笑。 :lol:

Alleluia:

maybe you could download that software here. but i am not sure . i did not try. and if you need chinese softare, you could put its name in the google. such as "金山词霸 下载"(下载means download),and in most cases,you can get them。just try。

http://www.weste.net/html/200311/20031121SOFT113925.html

i think 软件 is called 软体 in taiwan or HK。

BTW: 如果你愿意,你可以把你的作文post here。大家可以看一看,点评批改一下,共同进步。