Chinese-Forums

What is considered good / recommendations of schools

xuechengfeng

I'm open to going anywhere to teach English for the next year. I'd like to go to Beijing or Shanghai, but I'll go elsewhere. What would a "standard" contract, if that exists, look like for one of those cities? Also, I found a position in Qingdao, is the following considered reasonable...

25hrs/week

7000+ RMB, negotiable

Accommodation with private bedroom

All Chinese Holidays and 14 days/year with pay.

Contract completion Bonus: Additional 1 month salary

Medical, visa, roundtrip air

Work Permit provided by school

Hi Xue Cheng feng,

25hrs/week - is a lot of teaching time, 4 classes a day is exhuasting and 5 will be a strain, Most universities are 12-16 hours a week, this sounds like a private for-profit place)

7000+ RMB, negotiable The going rate in Nanjing also a medium sized city for that much time is 9,000-10,000 including housing (which is about 1,500)

Accommodation with private bedroom (This could be bad as it doesn't say private bathroom, or apartment or kitchen. It might be a guest house room . You should ask them to send pictures or ask for 3,000 more RMB and get yourself a nice place. having your own kitchen and bathroom should be possible.)

Contract completion Bonus: Additional 1 month salary

Medical, visa, roundtrip air

Work Permit provided by school

Apart from the 14 days a year and the bonus, these other things are pretty standard.

Also it may be the case that you will arrive and they you can wait to sign the contract a day or 2 after you arrive.

Dave's ESL cafe often has ESL job listings you can try there to compare salaries etc. 25 hours is a lot of time , you will find it hard to study Chinese as well if you had planned on doing that.

Qingdao is a good tourist place, by the sea, known for it's beer. I plan on visiting in the fall. It is a bit crowded in the summer.

have fun,

Simon:)

P.S. Shanghai and Beijing have better rates, the lowest range is about 7000 for 14 hours but can go up to 14000 RMB a month, if you work a lot and/or get substitute positions at International schools. Their rents are also higher though 2200 plus usually for decent places in relatively convenient locations.

This line caught my eye as unusual. Usually schools have 2 months holiday in summer, 2 months winter and a week each in May and October. I got paid for the week long holidays but not during summer and winter breaks other than what classes I scrounged myself.

As for simonlaing comments on income, the earning vary a lot from city to city. So do the costs of living. 7000 in Shanghai would be skimping a bit but 7000 in Liaoning and you'll be wondering what to spend it all on.

My school - in Anshan, Liaoning - pays 3000 per month for 15 hours a week. 5000 per month for 20 hours a week. Extra hours at 100 per hour. You should note that hours and classes don't always tally. In middle school, classes are were 45 minutes each. So for 20 hours teaching I did 24 classes.