Chinese-Forums

The six most ancient cities in China...what are they??

Shadowdh

Hi there all,

A comment was left on my blog about Nanjing being one of the six most ancient cities in China, and if this is the case what are the other 5?? I wouldnt mind knowing what they are and maybe visit them... a bit of a historical tour if you like... thanks for any help on this...

I mean skylee listed six capital cities. But what about ancient cities that were not capitals?

I think when people talk about "Nanjing being one of the six most ancient cities in China" (as in the comments left in the OP's blog), they actually mean the six most ancient captials in China. I am not sure which are the most ancient cities that were not capitals in China.

rootfool, the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the OP's post was also 六朝金粉. But that is not what the OP asks about, sadly.

Holy cow so much info, I like this guys... so what are the 六朝金粉 exactly and I like the maps Gato thanks, will give me something to look over and maybe plan some things... I appreciated all the info...

If you are talking about the most ancient cities, then the capitals of Xia and Shang dynasties should be mentioned.

But for merely ancient and worth mentioned cities, then Kaifeng should be the most outstanding city in China and even in the world at that time (11th century).

Kaifeng was the world's largest city in the 11th century (exceeding 1 million population). And it was probably the most financially and technologically advanced at that time. Legal tender paper money was in wide circulation and arch bridges were built (both didn't happen until many centuries afterwards in Europe).

so it would be like the most flourishing cities of the six dynasties. Or would that be prosperous... what made them so special if I can ask?

sorry but I can't follow you.do you mean "why the six most ancient was so prosperous" or "why people choosed them as capital"?