Chinese-Forums

A Cantonese idiom : “唱念经歌”.

Myriam

I recently learnt that “唱念经歌” is a Cantonese phrase to express one's discontent at listening to a singer who apparently doesn't connect with*/relate to their audience.

Is there a 普通话 equivalent for “唱念经歌” = 不好听的歌, 因为*我/你觉得*歌星不知怎么connect with* their audience, 所以我/你不喜欢?

I recently learnt that “唱念经歌” is a Cantonese phrase to express one's discontent at listening to a singer who apparently doesn't connect and/or relate to their audience.

“唱念经歌”? Hmm, I haven’t heard of it. What I often hear in my daily life is “唱歌唱到好似念口簧” or “唱歌唱到好似喃无念经”. Are these what you’re talking about? :D

Is there a 普通话 equivalent for “唱念经歌” = 不好听的歌, 因为歌星不知怎么connect to their audience, 所以我/你不喜欢?

I don’t know the 普通话 equivalent in such a case, but you can try “唱歌唱得好像背书一样,一点感情都没有” or “唱歌唱得没有一点感情”to express the similar idea.

Thanks!

It's often light-hearted humour (ie :mrgreen:) as opposed to sarcasm and the like. eg :

我:*lalala, singing along* "我好鍾意聽。。。唱歌,你呢?"

朋友:"哦,我覺得唔好聽,我哋話。。。唱念經歌!:mrgreen::mrgreen:"

我:*stopping the music* :shock::oops: "噉樣啊...,噉我哋聽。。。啦。:mrgreen:"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose there is no way to convince the OP that "唱念經歌" is not an idiom / phrase in Cantonese. Everyone responded (#2, 3, 5, 7) said that there was no such an expression but hey here comes a recording.

Makes me feel that I've wasted my whole life speaking Cantonese. :cry: I should probably have myself 傾沒在海洋裏 ... :cry:

I know this expression is far from elegant, but I'm a bit surprised by all this reluctance towards trying to perceive the analogy between what could be called an excessively introverted "scenic language" and the traditional rendition of 念经歌s. The girl who told me this and wanted me to remember this phrase as an expression is Buddhist like her mum and she follows the traditions. And when she said "we" it meant she and all her friends.

Then perhaps you could try to say it to people outside the girl's circle and see if they understand it and accept it. I am outside your friend's circle and I find it odd and unacceptable. And I have been speaking Cantonese and living in Cantonese-speaking HK for over 3 decades and I have not heard of such an expression. That's all.