Chinese-Forums

ways to say 我愛你 ...

geek_frappa

Shanghainese:

我欢喜侬。 (ngu/wu hueshi non) = I like you (it's a little bit stronger than the Mandarin).

我吃死侬。 (ngu/wu chiesshi non) = More intensive.

我非常爱侬。(ngu/wu fizan ei non) = Most intensive (it sounds a lot better in Shanghainese than the Mandarin pronounciation of that, I promise. the "z" is an English z).

We usually don't say 我爱侬 (ngu/wu ei non), when we do it's usually in Mandarin 我爱你 wo ai ni. The Shanghainese 我爱侬 sounds too fast, edgy, and suggests false intentions. It just sounds blatantly unconvincing (since the syllables slur to form: ue non 为侬 :( ).

no more boring than "I love you" in english I suppose :)

i avoid say 'i love you' because talk is cheap... but when i do want to say it, i want find other ways...

very nice replies. thank you (^_^) (_ _) (^_^)

any more ideas? how about 'i love you' when you are in trouble?

ngo hek sei lei?

should be 我锡死你? ngo sek sei lei

I've always thought it was 吃, or more accurately in the traditional character: 喫. In Shanghai, we use 喫/吃 for everything (to have a crush on, to eat, to drink, to smoke, to get beaten, to take a chess piece, to suck). 我喫侬 in Shanghainese means I have a crush on you or I want you. So 我喫死侬 implies eternity, it doesn't mean "eat you to death" at all (eat you to death in Shanghainese is 我吃杀忒侬). 欢喜 in Shanghainese is more solemn, while 喫 is definitely more flirtatious and sexual.

喫香烟 = smoke cig, 喫棋子 = to win a piece in chess, 喫茶 = drink tea, 喫生活 = to get beaten.

喫 = in ancient times had meanings as diverse as this also, it translates as "consume" or "take."

'Eat you to death' reminds me of the story I heard about a Japanese translator who translated 'I love you' spoken by a heroine in an English novel as:

死んでもいいわ

Shinde mo ii wa

'I'd be willing to die (for you)'.

That was a long time ago -- possibly 19th century. Times have changed. Now the Japanese are used to saying 'I love you' and this brilliant translation just sounds quaint and dated.

But I think it is rather good, nonetheless.

Well in Cantonese,

"sek" means "to care for" or "to kiss"

"sik" means "to eat"

I believe "sek" is the same word as the shanghainess "chie" in the context of love and care. Maybe shanghainess merged the two sounds, or maybe cantonese variegated the original sound.