Chinese-Forums

我给你说

SeekerOfPeace

I have this 2001 edition of "Xiandai Hanyu Cidian" (現代漢語詞典) published by the Commercial Press of Beijing (ISBN 7-100-01777-7). Although it is a bit old, I hope it is authority enough.

On 好 / 好不

cimg3015wr0.th.jpg  cimg3018ue8.th.jpg

On 战败 / 战胜

cimg3020jk9.th.jpg  cimg3022ng4.th.jpg

On 差点儿 / 差点儿没

cimg3024ml4.th.jpg

Thanks for posting that. That's more of what I was going for since I was already fully aware that this happens (hear it a lot, don't see it much though).

I once took a test that had a question that went something like this "XXX差一点没买到". Does this mean the person did purchase or didn't purchase? The problem is when you hear something yet still don't know what it means. If you have to add another sentence to make sense of what happened, why speak that one in the first place? I feel as though I answered correctly (2 answers didn't make sense at all and the other 2 'fought' between the did/didn't). I asked two people that I would consider to be experts in Chinese (both native speakers with language doctorates) this question yet got two opposing answers (and explanations). How would you answer?

I once took a test that had a question that went something like this "XXX差一点没买到". Does this mean the person did purchase or didn't purchase? ... How would you answer?

The person was able to make the purchase (but only just).

this is a sentence that someone express angry emotion to somebody,and he/she thinks that this person is bad.

Here's one that would be directed to a man from a woman:

你(真)不是个男人!

It's not as tame as it sounds, and would be considered a severe loss of face for the receiver:

I am a Chinese,

I explain "大胜" and "大败" in this way,

"大胜" is a common expression in Chinese and most of people can understand what it means.

"大败" is kind of meaning from ancient Chinese, it means make somebody lose, "使....败".

for "差点" and “差点没” , I think it depends what activity next to them, if something bad such as "摔倒". they mean same, if something should be good such as "赶上公车", they mean different.

so "差点摔倒" and “差点没摔倒” both mean "没摔倒"

but "差点赶上公车" mean didn't catch the bus, "差点没赶上公车" mean did catch the bus.