Chinese-Forums

Book of the month in July 2007?

hales73

While I'm not going to commit to reading, I'm keen to encourage people to do things like this. I'll add a link to this in the next newsletter (currently overdue, but I want to hold off until a couple of things are ready so I can include them). Let me know if there's anything else that might be useful.

It might encourage more people to get involved if you can let them know what type of book it is, when it was written, why you've opted to read it, etc.

What newsletter? Did I miss something?:conf

But it seems that Hales73 is not with us anymore (I hope I'm wrong). I didn't start to read this book yet, because I have to finish a book that I'm reading now (about transition from antiquity to feudalism, not connected with China:)). I'm planning to read 贾平凹's book after my moving to Changsha (after Aug 1st)

There already was a thread about collective book reading once (book of the month club or something) and 贾平凹 was also mentioned. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time then and couldn't participate (in fact, I totally removed myself from this forum :oops:).

There is also one problem regarding our book reading. It's summertime and people went to vacations/summerschools/etc., away from computers. It would be better to start our book reading in autumn. What do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've changed my mind. Maybe reading long books is, for now, still hard for us, so I propose that we begin with short stories. And I also think that it doesn't matter (for now) if stories are original Chinese or translated into Chinese (although translations can be sometimes awkward).

I propose that we read Arthur Clarke's short story 岗哨 (The Sentinel), which was a basis for his famous novel 2001: A Space Odyssey. Here is a link:

http://www.kehuan.net.cn/Clarke/1071.html

I just bought a collection of short stories and essays by Yu Dafu (郁达夫), one of the best but lesser known writers from the pre-1949 years.

You can read an article about him here:

http://www.cctv.com/lm/176/71/88858.html

Yu Dafu

I read the short story 春风沉醉的晚上 over dinner. It's quite fantastic . The style and the psychological details are a bit reminiscent of F. Scott Fitzgerald and other writers of that era.

If others are interested, I'd be interested in reading and discussing 沉沦, one of his most famous short stories.

See this earlier thread about it:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/1435-yu-dafus-sinking-is-one-of-the-best-short-stori

Yu Dafu's "Sinking" (沉沦) is one of the best short story

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone still do Book of the Month reading? I'm a newcomer to this forum and would love the opportunity to do something like this, partly because it would greatly help my Chinese, but also because it would give me a much needed introductio to contemporary Chinese lit.

Anyone interested in doing this? Failing that, anyone have any suggestions for good contemporary Chinese lit? Something that's moved you recently, or was fun, silly, funny to read? I'll look back through the archives to find some titles, but getting some live feedback would be great.

多谢!

Hey, if you are still interested in reading and discussing 沉沦 (Sinking), here is an online copy:

http://www.white-collar.net/01-author/y/20-yu-df/002.htm

沉沦

■郁达夫

Take a look. I just skimmed through it, and I'm not sure if it's the best choice for a discussion (as it's not plot-driven at all).

Perhaps we could try 春风沉醉的晚上 (Spring Night), which I mentioned before. It's a great story and might fit better for a discussion.

http://www.oklink.net/99/1222/yudafu/003.htm

春风沉醉的晚上 (Spring Night)

Yeah, I looked at that online version of chen lun, too. It is pretty long, but I wouldn't mind reading it. gougou, if you think you could finish the second one, though, I'm as of right now impartial--I'd love to read along with you. What say ye, gato?

I'm in. Read the first two paragraphs just now, and I think it's quite a beautiful way of writing! Quite easy to understand as well - while I didn't know a few phrases, I've been able to guess most from the characters they were made up of.

Will be back for more during my lunch break. Or when I get bored again, whichever occurs earlier :)