Chinese-Forums

Requirements for teaching in China (and other general things)

Barton Fink

My school has employed people with only a TESL cert before. We found them to be good teachers who made creative classes. Wouldn't be a problem for us as far as bureaucracy. Some people will look down on you if you are not old enough. Our TESL certified teacher was only 18 going 19. She was described to the parents of the children as a 25 year old American. Don't know if the parents bought that or not. (I didn't)

I am 21, and will be 22 by the time i finish with my AA Degree, and TEFL Certificate. So age isn't a problem, most people I run into think that I am older yet--my biggest worry is not being able to get a visa to teach because I don't have a BA yet. I have wanted to go over and teach for a long time now, and a lot of people are saying that a BA is almost mandatory, I would hate to get over there and not be able to procure a job. However like I said I will have my AA Degree, and a TEFL Certificate by the end of the Fall.

Get on Dave's Cafe and the other links for jobs in China. I would start applying to language schools / training colleges.... now and see if you get any offers with your AA degree.

I would say that you need a BA to get a Z-visa, but I've heard of people getting jobs with Z-visas without any experience or qualifications.