Chinese-Forums

了 in chain constructions

freefall

Can a native speaker tell me which of the numbers in the sentences below can have 了?

Thanks very much!

a. 护士放轻(1)脚步屏住(2)气走进(3)病人床前。

b. 我带着所有的文件去见(1)律师。

c. 两个老师争着付(1)钱。

d. 哭着哭着他晕(1)过去。

Okay so I might as well cut to the chase. According to my native speaker sources, sentences a, b, and c cannot incorporate 了, but sentence d can. I'm trying to figure out the logic.

In these "chain constructions" you have an accompanying verb (or verbs) which may or may not incorporate 着 before the final verb. In some cases the final verb can have 了, for instance

我带着她去看了一部电影。

Sometimes they cannot (sentence b above 我带着所有的文件去见律师。 )

Why?

Yep, it's fine with or without the 了. But I don't think it's a person as the object that decides whether or not le can occur because take this sentence which is in my grammar book:

他怀着满腔的热情接受了这个任务。

The object here, 满腔的热情, is not a person.

Sentence a, b and c are all fine to me both with or without 了, but d would sound a bit awkward without it. Can't give and in-depth explaination coz my grammar sucks; however I think it's got to be something to do with the "过去"... Any expert would like to confirm my guess?

So ANOTHER native speaker said 我带着所有的文件去见了律师 with the le is okay. This is a definite pattern in my study of Chinese. I pick up random sentences from TV or other people and freak out over supposed "contradictions" only to later find out it's all pretty flexible. :wall

I agree with xiaocai. I think a, b, c are fine with or without 了. But of course they seem to be slightly different.:)

EDIT:

a. 护士放轻(1)脚步屏住(2)气走进(3)病人床前。

I think this sentence can be 护士放轻了脚步屏住了气走近病人床前。 Or, 护士放轻脚步屏住气走近病人床前。 (1), and (2) are ok to have 了 or not. However, (3) cannot use 了 .

freefall, the example you provided isn't parallel to the one cited. The verb + 着 is used in a much different way with respect to 带/怀. It doesn't necessarily take away from the validity of your point, but it does make it harder to comprehend in that example.

怀 would only seem to take 了 in one circumstance (怀了孩子)whereas 带 could be used in several (I'd consider them in a different class of verbs), just what pops into my head.

Anyhow, thanks so much to everyone for pondering these.

I think this sentence can be 护士放轻了脚步屏住了气走近病人床前。 Or, 护士放轻脚步屏住气走近病人床前。 (1), and (2) are ok to have 了 or not. However, (3) cannot use 了 .

According to several native speakers, (3) can use 了。

chinlearner83, I'm not too sure what you're geting at. But it seems to be a moot point anyway because I was wrong about 我带着所有的文件去见了律师 being incorrect (with that final 了).

In my opinion, if a verb followed by ''了",it would be considered this action has been finished, while a verb without "了" often means the action is still on going. As following two sentences:

1. 我带着所有的文件去见律师 (I've not met the attorney yet, most probably I'm still on the way to visit him/her currently)

2. 我带着所有的文件去见律师 (I've met the attorney, maybe I'm back at home now)

Both are correct.