Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
sthubbar

I Hate Hanzi

renzhe
It is those additional hours that allow others to appear to learn faster than me, when in reality they are just putting in more hours.

It has been my experience that 1 hour every day for 7 hours is much better than one hour every week for 7 week. Although the amount of time spent studying is the same.

I think that everyday exposure is important because it keeps things fresh in your mind and helps cement things in your memory.

Perhaps you just need to find something that's fun enough to do every day. For me, it was comics, later books. I never could get into simplified stuff written for learners.

• Like 1

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

trien27

If you don't like it, don't do it. simple as that! If you don't like Chinese then learn something else!!!

paperbagprince23
The purpose of a written language is to convey a specific meaning to the reader, they are not paintings

Typical post by a typical ethnocentric pig. What says that a written language is not supposed to be beautiful? You are taking your own, personal, western look at language. Remember, you are learning Chinese now, open your mind. What gives you the right to dictate a 5,000 year old system.

And no, actually the more Hanzi you learn, the easier they become. When you learn a lot of hanzi, you begin to learn all of the parts that make them up. And I don't just mean radicals. The more characters you learn, your brain becomes used to learning them. It is to the point now when I can look at a character and pretty much remember it.

I suspect you are not as much of an ass hole as your title implies; so If I could offer any advice to you or anyone else learning Chinese it would be to not just try to "memorize" characters, that is the biggest mistake Chinese language learners make. Learn how to write them, not memorize them.

And a quick word to anyone who thinks I am being rude or trying to start a flame war; I am not. I simply care, not love, Hanzi. More than I care about hurting douches feelings at least.

daofeishi
Typical post by a typical ethnocentric pig. What says that a written language is not supposed to be beautiful?

I'm not sure about your definition of "ethnocentric", but I find that Thai, Devanagari, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew and Armenian are both functional and beautiful.

paperbagprince23

This doesn't go against my point, actually. I am not saying that many written languages are not beautiful (I would agree to the list above and could add many many more), but his assertion that a written language is not meant to be beautiful is, or that somehow it being beautiful took away from its usability.

The definition I am using for ethnocentric is the sociological one, that being the usage of ones won cultural background and expectations to judge another one.

roddy

I don't think anybody took him seriously and he got laughed at already. In 2007. I'm fairly sure someone must have said something more stupid more recently. Quite possibly me. Could probably have just let sleeping typical ethnocentric pigs* lie.

*that's porcinism, BTW.

paperbagprince23

I guess so, what can I say, i'm late to the party. But, after all, what is a forum for but putting in your two cents :conf

roddy

Shedloads of stuff - have a look around. I can't believe you read back to 2009 and didn't notice . . . ;-)

paperbagprince23

Haha, I was searching for something and I just came across it. I think I was looking up for a thread about "funny" characters, kinda that on the lines of 肏 when I found it. Last time I started a thread, it was about a movie, but someone else already made a thread about it, and I felt kinda jackassy for duplicating it...was just checking, but got distracted...like always.

paike

Just stick to it. I can't write. Maybe a hundred of so characters?

I can read thousands and spend most of my "study time" reading newspapers and short story collections. Big difference in those two types of language, but other than that, not much else.

Wish I could write, though I can on a computer just fine.