Chinese-Forums

speakgoodchinese

newyorkeric

The single tone tests seem to work fine and are very insightful. The two tone tests either work poorly and/or my tone combinations are really bad and/or I am doing something wrong. In most cases I get red-line gobbly gook that I can't make heads or tails of. Any advice?

make a screenshot and post it here :) My kong3pa4's are great, and I don't even what it means :) What do you get in the feedbackline?

Are the reference lines also meant to indicate the length of the tone? If the red line is longer that the reference line does this indicate that I am holding my tones too long?

Lengths have to do with intonation. This tool is directed on practicing two syllable words. The visible indication can be handy to view what is 'really' going on with your voice. But by *absolutely no means* a way to tell you right or wrong. The algorithm that does that is *by far* more advanced. And really checks your speech against any possible tone combination, including a dutch one ;)

The visible indication can be handy to view what is 'really' going on with your voice. But by *absolutely no means* a way to tell you right or wrong. The algorithm that does that is *by far* more advanced. And really checks your speech against any possible tone combination, including a dutch one ;)

This is good to know. I was taking the red line as more reliable than the algorithm because of the wiggle room included to encourage new learners.

The two tone tests either work poorly and/or my tone combinations are really bad and/or I am doing something wrong.

Hehe, maybe it was me. I am doing better now.

This is a really cool program! :D

Is it possible to run this software on Win2000?

I got this error message when I tried:

"The procedure entry point ShGetSetSettings could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.DLL"

I hope your answer is yes

You might want to try updating your shell32.dll by installing a newer version of internet explorer.

See this thread:

http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2005-April/025423.html

> The version of my SHELL32.dll is 4.00.

>

> That's the problem. You need 4.32 (or anything close to it or newer).

>

>

> > Does this mean, WinPT does no longer support Windows NT (like Microsoft...)?

>

> WinPT supports all Windows versions (95 limited). The problem is that some

> OS components are too old. This is also a problem for other programs and

> not just WinPT. If you update the Internet Explorer, you will get a newer

> version of the needed components. You can also use the MS update site to

> get a recent version.

I don't know anything about GTK, but I see that you might be compiling against an older version of the GTK library.

From your MINGW32 Makefile:

LIBS := -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,--disable-auto-import

$(shell PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$(PKG_CONFIG_PATH)

pkg-config --libs gtk+-win32-2.0 libglade-2.0 gthread-2.0)

-L$(PRAATDIR) -L. -lpraat -lzip

Maybe you try the package here:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

GTK+ for Windows

Current releases: GLib 2.12.12, Pango 1.16.4, GTK+ 2.10.13

But note that:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

The GLib file name encoding change in 2.6 means that especially on Windows you have to be very careful. You are advised not to blindly replace your existing GLib and GTK+ 2.4 with 2.6 or 2.8 without testing.

The 2.8 and newer versions of GTK+ won't run on Win9x because it uses cairo which uses some APIs that are implemented only on NT-based Windows.

My Internet Explorer version is 6.0.2800.1106

My SHELL32.DLL version is 5.0.3900.7105

As far as I know, It's not possible to install IE7 on Win2000. Maybe I am wrong?

In Windows Update there are no updates available for my computer, so I guess I already have the newest IE for my OS.

I manually downloaded a SHELL32.DLL-file from the 'net. It's version 6.0.2900.3051.

Now, how safe/unsafe would it be for the stability of my operating system to just replace the old version of SHELL32.DLL with the newer version?

If you place the downloaded shell32.dll in the same directory as the program you want to run (i.e. in this case sgc), it will load that version of the dll instead of the one in the windows directory. This way you can test to see if it works and you won't disrupt anything else on your system.

I can't get this to run either. I am using Windows XP Prio SP2. I don't get any error in the dos box, just a windows error box. I would be very interested to try this out if we can get it to work. I have tried the 2 versions, the main one and the 27-07 beta release, but neither work.

I'm running ubuntu feisty and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the binaries to work. After downloading and compiling libzip, I get this error whenever I run sgc.sh:

GThread-ERROR **: GThread system may only be initialized once.

aborting...

Aborted (core dumped)

Thanks for the help.

I'll look into the errors, the ubuntu person: I suspect an incompatibility between gtk/glib versions.

Shell32-error: We can fix this, but I think 'Praat' *will* need it, so in the end it won't fix anything

Gtk+: All gtk+ thingies are hand compiled on MingW32. If you can produce better

results with the gtk+ installer, please tell me :)

Ubuntu: the error is reported by another ubuntu user too. And it looks that the Ubuntu gtk+ libs aren't vanilla and thus initialize the threading mechanism inside gtk, which is plain wrong. If there is anything to check if threading is initialized I'm happy te build it in, but ask the ubuntu dudes why they made this change.

Skinkie, I've toyed with the idea of running linux as dual boot a couple of times, and have gone as far as getting damn small linux running within windows. This has got me thinking about doing so again.

Is there any linux version which will come with everything needed to run SGC that I can use? Or would I just need to download any version and then compile in (:help) the extras?

I've got to say that what you've done looks very promising - I've seen similar stuff as part of other programs, but this is the first specifically for Chinese learning, and free. Just wish I could try it out. Perhaps you could compromise your open source principals and just get at least one Windows developer? :mrgreen:

Again: how do you Quote on this forum?

... ok something very interesting. Someone on the Dutch Forum gathering.tweakers.net suggested that the failure of WinXP could have to do with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention if some computer techies with problems could look if this is enabled. I'm very happy to hear about it!

Is there any linux version which will come with everything needed to run SGC that I can use? Or would I just need to download any version and then compile in () the extras?

Our build environment is Gentoo Linux. (Combined with hand build Win32 components.) Except for two things everything is in there:

- libzip (I can provide you an ebuild for it)

- praat (to create a praat .so / .dll you need some manual labor, which is in the HOWTO)

I've got to say that what you've done looks very promising - I've seen similar stuff as part of other programs, but this is the first specifically for Chinese learning, and free. Just wish I could try it out. Perhaps you could compromise your open source principals and just get at least one Windows developer?

The project is technically finished (lets say: there is no money anymore, and everything that is still been done, is because we believe that there are enough users to benefit from it. Hey we are uni people ;)) If someone with specific windows skills is interested to join or want to take a look *sure*.

Tried adding DEP exclusions for both SGC and Singleword - didn't make any difference unfortunately.

There's no one-click quote button, scroll down below the reply box to see a list of recent posts to copy and paste from if necessary. See also the quote.gif button for quick quote tags.

i might have a look at getting this working on Linux, but it won't be soon . . .

If you want to try Linux, try downloading one of the Ubuntu live cds. Pop in the CD and reboot and it will load up into Linux (assuming you have enabled your computer to boot from the CD). Have a look around, see if you like it and that everything works, and if so then proceed with the install. Personally I prefer KDE over Gnome, so you might want to check out Kubuntu instead.

Again: how do you Quote on this forum?
There's a little button in between the picture and the # that looks like a speech bubble that will add quote tags to any piece of selected text. Alternatively, you can add them yourself using [ QUOTE ] and [ /QUOTE ] (minus the spaces before/after the [ ] )

It is not very smart to advertise Ubuntu, if a Ubuntu user has problems with GTK+.
Actually, if someone wants to try Linux this distribution is going to be one of the easiest to take for a spin, and presumably the problem your software has with Ubuntu will be solved at some point.