Chinese-Forums

speakgoodchinese

newyorkeric

Well... I have a new version of the Windows error... I have been trying to run the program on a Chinese version of Windows XP SP2... when I try to start the program... all I get is a black dos window and then a error message saying that it is going to close.

I tried to do the workaround, but I cannot identify what is the option... and cannot find anything indicating a US version of unicode. Any other suggestions about what to do?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've tried installing SGC on the latest Debian but the process tells me that I need libzip.so.1.

Libzip.so.1 isn't available in any of the Debian repositories. I could try and install a rpm of it, but I've been told that could get nasty. If anyone has a solution... Thanks.

• 11 months later...

I'm still having a problem with this on Windows XP like others.

I followed roddy's steps to get it working but after right-clicking the properties on the sgc.bat I do NOT see anything related to "Options" or "current code page".

I see three tabs labeled "General", "Compatibility", and "Summary" and none them have anythiing useful even when clicking further into the "Advanced" sections, etc.

I also went to my Region and Language settings in Control Panel and made sure everything was set to United Sates and English, still no luck.

Any advice?

Hey, I had the same bug on Vista and the current code page thing is not available, so I just adjusted the bat. Have to do so by running the windows editor as administrator and then just replace the command lines with:

sgc.bat=>

"@echo off

chcp 437

cd /d %~dp0sgc.exe"

singleword.bat=>

"@echo off

chcp 437

cd /d %~dp0singleword.exe"

that's how it worked fine for me.

• 2 months later...

This program doesn't work on my computer, but has anyone tried MyCT. It was developed by National Taiwan University and I think it's very good tool for seeing errors in pronunciation and tones. Has anyone used both and compared the two?

• 12 years later...

It looks like the beta version of SpeakGoodChinese 3.0 was released in 2017. It’s an online version in Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. It’s at the link below. It seems to work. (I’m pretty sure it was trying to tell me that I have the absolute worst pronunciation on the planet. That sounds about right, lol.)

https://robvanson.github.io/sgc3/SpeakGoodChinese3.xml

The main website is at the link below, if anyone want to take a look at related stuff.

https://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/sgc/

On 4/9/2022 at 1:17 PM, Jan Finster said:

This is utter rubbish.

I said "zhōngwǔ 中午" about 10 times with virtually the same pronunication and the feedback ranged from correct to too deep, too high, too wide, wrong 3rd tone, etc. 

It sounds like a random answer generator :).

• Like 1