Chinese-Forums

Dragon fruit

Myriam

It sure is a pretty fruit. As to liking it or not, I guess you could say that I am indifferent to it - I'll eat it if it's on a fruit tart, but I won't go out and buy one.

Though I wonder what kind of nutritional value it has? Obviously, the low sweetness is a plus.

PS - where are you headed?

They're very expensive (the fruit, not Oakland) in the UK. I don't usually buy them, although if they're reduced for any reason my boyfriend buys them and makes a fruit salad with them. And other fruit. And cherry tomatoes.

Adding tomatoes to a fruit salad is a very Chinese thing.

The one I tasted was home grown, I remember I bought some in hk with watermelon and another kind of melon but it didn't taste anything.

If this fruit isn't grown locally (I don't know if it is or not), then it could very well be that what you got from the supermarket wasn't ripe when it was harvested.

I can say that the dragonfruit I've had here (or anywhere else for that matter) didn't have much taste either. A bit boring, but not offensive either.

By the way, now is the time to be buying peaches. Both the crispy and the soft and really juicy kind (my favourite) are good now. And 5 yuan for 3 jing, you can't beat that!

I've also had some good watermelon lately as well.

Quote:

Adding tomatoes to a fruit salad is a very Chinese thing.

Well it's also a fruit, isn't it?

Well, one can categorize tomatoes also as vegetables, doesn't it? Even potatoes.

A Chinese thing?

I remember dimly that the daoist philosophy is against eating tomatoes, haven't found out why. But probably this needs a new thread.