Chinese-Forums

Have any ESL teachers gotten into a good MBA program?

mandarinstudent

I posted this question on Dave's ESL Cafe, but only received one straight answer...

Right now I am in the process of applying to MBA programs. I'm writing the application essays and now I am in the "paranoid stage". I have decent academic stats (Click here for more detail), but now I am a bit worried about my work experience. Before, I was confident that my experience as an English teacher in China would be an asset, as it is "unique". However, after cruising countless MBA forums, reading up on admission gurus' advice, and researching my target schools, I have yet to find ONE SINGLE ESL teacher that has successfully gained admission to a top 25 US MBA program. I can't even find a story where an ESL teacher applied to such a program! Of course, this isn't going to change where I apply, but I would like to know if anyone has successfully taken this path before me. Like all MBA applicants at one point or another in the application process, I'm just feeling a bit paranoid now.

Here is my question: Do any of you know of any ESL teachers that got into a top 25 program? Are there ANY other people like me, or am I the only ESL teacher aiming for a decent school? I know that knowing X teacher got into Y program doesn't guarantee me anything, but it would be nice to have a frame of reference. People in other professions like managers, engineers, consultants, etc., all can see how their fellow colleagues fare in the MBA process, but there is no such information for ESL teachers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

No doubt you have a very unique experience. But that doesn't give you a leg up on any of the other applicants. There are thousands of thousands of ESL teachers in many countries all over the world. You chose to spend your time in China, while another applicant may have chose to spend her time building a framework for her finance career. There are probably people who worked in China or other countries for investment firms or international firms trying to get into a top 25 MBA. So it will no doubt be competitive, just as it is for getting into top law schools.

What you need do to do is demonstrate your business/entreprenuial side in your statement in the application. I don't know how long you have been teaching, but generally most work at least three years before they stop working to go for an MBA. Executive MBAs usually require more work experience, normally 5-10 years with some management level experience. So think about your work experience as an ESL teacher and try to show how it demonstrates your business apptitude. What have you done at your ESL school(s) that demonstrates your ability to succeed in a business work place? Have you worked on any marketing and advertising campaigns with your school? Have you performed any management functions, such as supervising entry-level teachers and managing their time schedule? Think of anything you can use to sell yourself to the school.

Novemberfog, thanks for the advice. I already know what I have to do, as I've spent COUNTLESS hours researching the MBA admissions process and prospective schools. My question is whether or not any ESL teachers before me have successfully made it into a good MBA program, not what I need to do to get in. I already have my own game plan, I'm just curious as to how other ESL teachers have done. I know that I can't be the first one to try to go from ESL teacher to top 25 MBA program. Anyway...I hope I'm not...

Hi MandarinStudent,

I didn't get into a US Business program, but I did go to UK one. Leeds University has a Joint program MA Busines and Chinese. (It was funded partly by the UK government)

There were 4 other ex English Teachers in the program. Most of whom also had decent Chinese skills and experiences.

However I can't recommend the program that much as it wasn't as rigorus as US program. (Well my BU undergraduate program anyway). I have Dual citizenship and thought it would help reduce the tuition but it still ended up costing as much as a good state school in the US. Even though it was half the cost of London Uni and living costs.

I found the confidence gained from teaching and presentation skills where helpful in the degree (there was lots of presentations and public speaking ).Plus understanding Chinese working style and part time jobs as a bar manager, AC company PR speaker, etc. Gave me input into the classes.

The good thing was that I kept most of my Chinese and even built on my vocab some. The bad part was that program left me a bit wanting.

I think it is possible, Good luck,

Simon:)

P.S. I think HK Univeristy has an MBA program that is decent if you get shut down from the other programs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, I've been accepted by the University of Minnesota' s full time MBA program. I just missed the top 25 (the program is ranked #27 http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/mba/search). Actually, the program was ranked #25 until today, when the new rankings came out. If I made this post yesterday, I could claim top 25...

So, this shows that it is possible for an ESL teacher to get into a good MBA program. If any other teachers out there want to make a career change and would like my take on the application process, feel free to PM me. Obviously, I can't tell you how to get into Harvard, but maybe I can give some advice on how to get into the top 25.

Hey Mandarin Student,

Thanks for the update. Congrats on getting into the program.

I have a question for you on finances. Are you taking out a loan to pay for tuition or will you pay out of pocket?

If you do have a loan do you think that will affect if you will be able to come straight back to the PR of C, or will look for a job in the US to pay for the loan? Or you were planning to work in the US either way?

Thanks, Congratulations again.

Hey Mandarin Student,

Thanks for the update. Congrats on getting into the program.

I have a question for you on finances. Are you taking out a loan to pay for tuition or will you pay out of pocket?

If you do have a loan do you think that will affect if you will be able to come straight back to the PR of C, or will look for a job in the US to pay for the loan? Or you were planning to work in the US either way?

Thanks, Congratulations again.

Simon

First, thanks for the congrats!

Of course I will be taking out a loan. I definitely don't have a spare $100K lying around. I came to China right after graduating. Let's just say that you can't get rich teaching English in China...

Ideally, after graduating I would like to work for a company that has offices in China, then get transfered to China with the nice expat package that comes with it. I figure if I jump on a plane to China right after graduation I will be in the same position I was when I first came to China--freshly graduated with no experience. I learned from my mistake the first time.

I want to work in the Minneapolis area for a while and gain experience before I think about coming back to China. First of all, the University of Minnesota has great connections in the Minneapolis area, which recently was voted the number 1 city in the US for business (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/minneapolis-tops-among-metro-centers/story.aspx?guid=%7BCA19E070%2D81F3%2D4D15%2D9559%2DCFF9194DC6C0%7D). Secondly, my whole extended family lives in the Minneapolis area. Granted, the University of Minnesota is no Harvard, but it has a 93% placement rate within 3 months of graduation and an average salary of around $100K after bonuses. The only catch is, because the University of Minnesota is a reigonal school (vs. a "national school" like Stanford, etc.), it places most of its graduates in the Minneapolis area. Also, if you want to work in something like Investment Banking or want to be a consultant at one of the "Top 3", then you will probably be struggling if you attend U of M. Since I want to live in Minneapolis while I gain experience before heading back to China and I don't want to be an Investment Banker, the U of M seems like a good deal to me. Given that my salary in China is so low, even if I end up earning a salary below the average after graduating, my return on investment is still extremely high.

So, there you have it...that's my plan for the next 5 years or so. Hope this helps any other ESLers thinking of going for an MBA.

Looks like a good plan.

In hindsight your looks better than my UK masters . 3 months for placement sounds really good, plus with the US MBA you are garraunteed a good base salary.

Like most places in the US there are trade links to China with the Midwest and Minnesota. I used to know some people importing Ginseng from Wisconsin and Minnesota. Some others were in the machine tool trade with some midwest firms. I'm sure you will find you way back to China eventually.

Good luck.