Chinese-Forums

让 and 使

Strawberries513

different usage in different context.it lies on what you want to express.

1.like rootfool have told, A make/tell/direct B feel/have to/do /or sth ,A can be some person ,one's action or some affair ,B have the same options like A.It's used in normal description.

2.same usage like 1,but the meaning of the sentence is B has the licensed to do sth.

我让你用我的车.  means you can use my car if you want,I allow .

3.another meaning is A possess negative attitude to B or one's action

我让你开这辆车,看,坏了吧. means you should not drive this car ,you did ,and it broke.there is allusive meaning of blame.

maybe it's hard to completely understand for a people whose mother language is not chinese ,but keep studing.

in general,让 and 使 have totally differenct meaning.

让:

allow ,give away, give up, let make, yield

使: employ, envoy, if ,probe, send, use

there's only one situation you can choose any one of them to use:

sth/sb make sb feel/have to/do /or sth else.

让/使他很生气(angry).

and even though,there is also a small difference in the situation of expressing 'make sb do sth'. Please refer to the following example

让他做这个工作=使他去做这个工作。 and the first sentence is commonly used

My understanding of the difference has to do with the peculiarities of 讓. When 讓and 使are both used to mean "cause s/o or s/t to do something" the difference seems to me to be that 讓is more of someone with position or authority over someone else causing the thing to occur. 使doesn't have the position/authority/status implication.

他使我說話 and 他讓我說話 can both mean the same thing- "He made me speak" but the 使 is more like he was compelled to do so against my will, whereas 讓 could also mean, he LET/ALLOWED me to speak, or that he was someone whose status is higher than mine, like a teacher or a parent or boss.

If used before a verb of senses (感觉/看起来/听起来/闻起来...), either "使" or "让" is correct. For example:

1). 这件事让/使我感觉很兴奋。 - This let me (feels) exited.

2). 新衣服让/使她看起来很漂亮。 - The new dress makes her (looks) beautiful.

3). 调料让/使这道菜闻起来很香。 - Ingredients make this dish (sounds) great.

In other circumstances "使" could not not be used to take place of "让", for example, "他让我去开车" is correct while "他使我去开车" is a bad one in modern Chinese.