Chinese-Forums

HSK Taiwan?

deterius

Hi guys

I've been studying Chinese for a while, and for a year on the mainland. I have a two part question, first; is there any HSK study programs in taiwan, any place that tutors in prep-HSK? Second, how good of a place is Taiwan to study for intermediate to high level chinese, on a budget? Any good schools or do i have to go through uni's (which are expensive)

Thanks!

My understanding is that HSK is not given in Taiwan - they have their own version called the CPT -Chinese Proficiency Test. A major distinction of the tests is HSK uses simplified Chinese, whereas I believe the CPT uses traditional characters.

I suggest checking out the forumosa.com learning Chinese thread. There are a lot of posts from folks who are learning Chinese at universities in Taiwan, discussions on scholarships, etc. (The heading at forumosa says the search function is disabled, but it seems to be working)

You can find a few threads in the forum on different institutions in Taiwan. As for the HSK, I doubt whether anybody in Taiwan would teach a prep course for it. You could get the prep books and work on it with a tutor, though. The nearest place where you could take the test would be HK or Macau.

I haven't taken the CPT, but it's not a very well funded and well researched testing system. The creators of it make claims about CPT levels being equivalent to certain HSK levels, but I'm 100% certain that they haven't done any real piloting of their test with people who have taken the HSK near the time at which they took the CPT.