Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

extrapages, if you get your second year of scholarship (which seems far from impossible) you must have soooo much luck in you! care to share some? :lol:

to all of you anticipating your scholarship this year... good luck!

wait for me guys, i'm gonna have mine next year! (i hope.. haha!) :mrgreen::lol:

Thanks to extrapages and everyone else who has added info to this thread. I am waiting to hear from the DC embassy too, and I got the same email from the DC embassy that other people received. I replied with my address as the email requested, and I asked a few questions, but I haven't heard a response - has anyone else heard back?

I have some visa issues that I don't know how to take care of - I'm working at the Olympics in August, so I have a multiple entry L visa that doesn't expire until next march - but it's only good for 60 days at a time in China - so obviously its not the right visa for studying. Does anyone know if I will be able to apply for another visa when I already have a valid visa? I leave for china July 31st no matter what - and i'm afraid that I won't get the J201 form until I'm over there - does anyone know if it can be taken care of in Beijing? I sent an email asking the Embassy this... but no reply. Thanks a lot if anybody has advice!

I'm also curious if anyone else applied through a US university agreement. My university professor seems to think that I'm 'guaranteed' a spot since he "has an agreement" with someone at the Embassy, and they take someone from my school every year. BUT he also thought that the Embassy would pay for my flight, and that's definitely not true. So was anyone else "guaranteed" a similar deal? I haven't been able to contact my professor, so I feel out of the loop on all this, but I'm glad to see there are other people on this thread going through the same thing. Has anyone ever heard of someone not getting accepted to any of the Universities they listed on the application?? I'm sorry this post was so long, but I greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks so much, and good luck to all - hope to see you in Beijing in the fall!

kaili22,

1. if your prof has a "guaranteed" spot then he/she is probably an official representative of your university - which is probably considered a "partner organization" (see first post).

2. flights are definitely not covered for recipients from the states. thats not part of the agreement between china and the us.

3. ive never heard of people not getting the top choice they list in the application.

4. switching visas while in china is very simple as long as you have all the papers. and youll be getting all your papers from the embassy soon - id say within the next few days. however, i dont know if youll still be legally allowed to work with the olympics if you change your visa. although you should still be able to attend classes under the scholarship even if you stay on your L visa. this kind of stuff should be discussed in person with someone at the embassy.

3. ive never heard of people not getting the top choice they list in the application

I have and I hear it happens a fair bit. My sample size (2 or 3) is probably pretty skewed, but lots of people don't get their first choice. One guy I knew at Beishida put it as his 3rd choice and that's what he got. I think another guy wanted to study in Beijing and they placed him in Wuhan.

FYI both guys were Polish and did not get full scholarships (a different arrangement then what most of you are facing). There was a 3rd person I think too, but I forget his/her situation.

Yeah, I've also heard of several people not getting their top choice either. Basically, if your first choice was Beida, Tsinghua or some other top school that most people are going to put as their first choice, you're probably not going to get it.

i think iam part of the " guaranteed" group because my professor from my university has connection with the department of education of the chinese government. but i still waiting on the the letter. also i put Fudan as my top choice do you think i have a chance? i have a gpa of 3.67 out of 4

Just spoke with my contact at the San Francisco Consulate's education section.

She told me they still have not received acceptance or rejection information from the Scholarship Council. She actually apologized for it being so late and acknowledged that it's rough because we have so much work to do with plane flights and Visas. She also said she had just emailed the Council asking about them sending the information soon. She said she would contact me by email when the documents do arrive.

They're just late this year ... we haven't all been rejected :D

So, good luck to you all! I'm looking forward to the deluge of happy posts in (what I hope is only) a week or two.

I also applied through the DC embassy and although I confirmed my address via email the with the first email sent, I received another email today saying they had not received my confirmation. Frustrating, but I send in the confirmation again, so hopefully all is good. At least they are being vigilant about confirming my info!

What should be interesting to see is, in the case I am awarded the scholarship, which school I would be enrolled in. My first choice on the app was Tsinghua, but since my recommenders were asked before I fully explored my schooling options, one of them mentioned BLCU by name in his letter, which is my second choice.

Another quick question I'm not sure has been addressed in this thread: Are most applicants students right out of or shortly out of school? Just curious, as I've been in the workforce for about six years now, and wondering whether this would help or hurt me (or have no effect).

Good luck, everyone.

The Chinese consulate representative in Tel Aviv had told us that we'd get answers about where do we go only by mid-July. Hopefully there'll be answers by next week.

Until then, I'll have to nervously wait.

Another thing he said was that because our forms are handed to the universities so late, we'll probably not get into highly popular universities like Fudan, Tshinghua or Beida. I hope he was WRONG about that one, but they work in mysterious ways in China...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been following this thread for a while. Thanks for all the info everyone has posted here--this whole thing was a mystery before I found this forum.

I'm going to be a senior next year, and I'm exploring my options for what do to after college (hopefully going to China to get an English-taught masters since my Chinese isn't stellar). I have found a couple of these English taught Masters programs online, namely one at Fudan (which according to an email I got back from them is apparently not eligible for the scholarship) and one at Xiamen University.Does anyone know of any other English-taught programs? I want to study Chinese Literature/Culture/Philosophy.

Also, does anyone know of any scholarships that would pay for my airfare? It would be nice if I could get over there for free.

A quick note for kaili22: Even if you can't switch your visa, if you have a multiple entry visa that's good for 60 days for each entry or something of that sort, you can always go to Hong Kong or another country for a few days if you have the cash and then come back. I had a few friends who ended up doing that and they said they enjoyed the trip.

Another note: From my snooping around on the internet I found this for anyone applying for the CSC Scholarship next year in the Chicago area: http://www.chinaconsulatechicago.org/eng/jy/news/t112503.htm apparently the consulate has people designated to talk with prospective applicants about the scholarship, although I haven't tried calling yet. I also found a memo from the association of american universities announcing the scholarship for 2007 that said questions about the program should be directed to Mr. Jiangyi Liu at jiangyiliu@yahoo.com.cn or 202-328-2535. Again, I haven't actually tried calling those numbers, just wanted to put them out there.

Sorry for the long post,

I just got this email from my contact at the Singapore consulate:

Dear Ms yueni,

Your application are being processed. The official result may come late July or early Aug.

regards,

B.

x.@ This is getting pretty stressful! If it comes in early August, I'm starting to worry about getting plane tickets and visas and so on since I'm in the US.

I GOT IT!

I just got off the phone with my contact in the San Francisco Consulate. She confirmed they got the acceptance decisions last Friday. She didn't email anyone who applied through the SF consulate yet because the visa forms are arriving separately and late. She recommended I fill out the visa form available on the consulate's site and mail it to her.

I got into my 3rd choice, BLCU and I'm totally excited. When I asked about it, she said I should have studied more Chinese if I wanted to go to PKU or Tsinghua, my first 2 choices :) Thats OK -- I'll still be in Wudaokou. I'm a little concerned about the dorms, though, as BLCU's website seems to say there is no internet access in the rooms; there appears to only be access at an "internet bar." We shall see.

So now I have to find out when BLCU's Fall term starts. On to some research on BLCU.

Good luck everyone. I'm checking this thread every day in case it's updated and in case anyone has questions I may be able to answer.

One more time: Extrapages, you rock. I hope our paths cross in Beijing this Fall!

Congrats, zmblum! That's good to know about Tsinghua and PKU as well.

Has anyone heard from the DC people? I was on the verge of sending a follow-up email in light of this news that US decisions have dropped, but I reread the email we were sent last month and it says we would be told via email as soon as results were in. I'm wary to piss off someone that has probably been deluged with emails.

Hi guys, I applied in Sydney, Australia. Just thought I'd let people know that I've also been told over the phone I've been accepted and just waiting for the official papers to arrive. So it looks like the decisions have been made but all the info won't arrive till end of july/early august. I applied through a special route as in australia you can usually only apply through your uni and that wasn't an option for me at the time. I will post more details on that soon. But beware if you apply from outside uni like I did you gotta do a lot of smooth talking and be really motivated to find a way and convince people you should have a chance at it.

Edited by ChevanY