Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Hello! I am getting started with my application for the scholarship and I have a question:

I am planning to go to China with a friend and we would both like to apply for this scholarship. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do you think it seems likely that we could be placed in the same place given that 1) our applications will come at the same time and from the same place 2) we have the same Chinese level and 3) we will apply for the same schools?

Is there anyone out there who has applied with someone else?

Thanks for the help I am thrilled to have found this site!

First of all, thank you extrapages and other users for this great post!

Right now I'm in Beijing (I first studied a 3 months course at BLCU and now I'm in other school) and I'd like to know if it's possible to apply for the scholarship from here. I read in the first post that is possible, but there isn't any other infomation yet.

Also, i was reading the webpage for the EU schoolarships (http://en.csc.edu.cn/Lianhua/ae15c3a91fc6416daaf2c787518619f2.shtml) and it says:

Eligibility

2. Applicants must be at least high school graduates or university students.

Chinese language students must be high school graduates under the age of 25.

Applicants for general scholars must be university students under the age of 35.

while for others countries (http://en.csc.edu.cn/Lianhua/c1e7463d02704511940e91faa7ba7942.shtml):

- Chinese language students must have senior high school diploma and be under the age of 35, will study Chinese language program in China.

Anybody knows if this is a mistake? or the age limit is different for Europe? Because I'm Spanish and I'm 26...

thanks!

ABQGirl,

None of us know anything about the chances of one person getting in, let alone two people together. Sorry. Why don't you give it a shot and share with the forum when the results are in?

Josu-,

If that's what it says on the site for EU applicants, that's what it says. Sorry. I doubt that there's a mistake. But if you have the time and the energy, you can try to contact them (CSC contact or EU representative contact) to confirm the age.

Ok and maybe I should go change that on the first post about applying from China. There really isn't much information to be waiting for. What exactly are you waiting to find out? All we needed to know was if it was possible, and it turns out it is. The application process would be the same as if you were not in China.

ahh, I thought that maybe I should do something different, for example we're to do the Physical Examination.

As for the age, I'll try to contac the spanish embassy and the EU representative contact, because in "http://www.chinamission.be/eng/" only says:

Are you eligible?

1. Applicants must be a citizen of a member state of the European Union

2. Applicants must be high school graduates, undergraduates or graduates under the age of 35.

I'll post the information they give me.

I am filling out the CSC form for the 2009-2010 school year. My GPA in Chinese classes is good, but my overall GPA isn't great. So, just out of curiosity, what is the lowest GPA of people who have receive the scholarship?

Olivia Shanks,

Haha! Good luck getting people with low GPAs to post their grades up on the internet. I don't think it really matters as long as you're not failing out of school. And you can make up for it by getting extra recommendations and writing a phenomenal personal statement.

Hey all,

extrapages and contributors, this forum is fantastic, a wealth of information. I was intending to go to china on study abroad this semester, but due to the lovely state of the economy, loans are no longer a viable option. I've been looking into the CSC for a few months at the recommendation of my Chinese professor, but she herself couldn't tell me much more than that she knew the scholarship existed. I live and go to school in New York state, and am trying to work all angles to get to Beijing in the fall. Before dealing with the horrors of calling the embassy or consulate, I decided that I would try getting in touch with the Asia society and the Confucius institute (The Confucius Institute in New York is part of the China Institute), but couldn't find out much of anything from them, other than the fact that I need to speak with someone at that consulate. Once I'm finished with this I'm going to try getting in contact with Mr. Fang Jun at the D.C. DoE, but as I've read he's hard to get in touch with. I'll just have to hope for the best and document the results. Oh, and my GPA isn't all that great either, but I think thats the least of my concerns for the moment.

Extrapages,

It's really comforting to hear you say that the recommendations and the essay are the most important part of the application. I can do those and make them great! I'm curious though, is there any reason we know this? I'm wondering if perhaps you have more information about what they want to see or is this just a guess based on some kind of evidence you have gathered.

Man. I don't think I would even attempt this process if it were not for all of you out here to make it seem possible and help along the way! Thanks!

ABQGirl,

I'm curious though, is there any reason we know this? I'm wondering if perhaps you have more information about what they want to see or is this just a guess based on some kind of evidence you have gathered.

Honestly, in any application process, this is a given - work, college, fellowships, whatever. It's common sense. When you're going to screw up one section, you make it up in the others.

Understudy,

Who is Mr. Fang Jun? Never heard of him, but if you've heard that he's someone whose part of the process, try to contact him! I'm surprised that the Confucius Institute didn't know about it! They're one of the only actual partners of the CSC. Thanks for joining and sharing. =]

Fang Jun is listed as one of the "Sino-US Educational Exchange and Chinese Language Affairs Officers" at the website of the education office in the Chinese Embassy in D.C. I don't have any confirmation of anyone speaking with him directly, but I was feeling bold this afternoon and made a list of people that I wanted to try and get in touch with. No luck yet, but I'll try again tomorrow. As for the Confucian Institute, who knows. I only had a brief conversation, but they have another number which I haven't pursued yet. I live close enough that I might just take a day to go visit directly, as it seems that a physical presence is often a bit more motivating than someone on the other end of the phone.

Hi Extrapages,

Sorry about the slow reply after you quickly responded to my initial question... holidays... Anyway, I was wondering when the CSC was going to officially open the new application window and perhaps release a new version of the application form. Three days after I posted my question that info came up on the CSC website, and it appears that the application itself hasn't changed from last year's.

Many thanks

It looks like most of the CSC website pages regarding the scholarship application were updated on December 23, so I would assume that everything there is up to date. It says that the applications for the scholarship will be received January through April, so it seems like the application window is open now. I'm also assuming the application there now is still valid. Nothing on the application indicates what year it is for, as far as I can tell.

Good luck! I'll be starting my application soon as well.

Hello all!

I'm looking at applying for the master's program of this scholarship and I am wondering two things:

1st: Should I choose a field I have experience in? I have an undergrad in Linguistics and I have quite a bit of experience in Education. Do I need to apply for one of this programs? will they throw out my application if I am not qualified to get the degree I want?

2nd: Can and I should I specify a 1st-3rd choice for the two primary years of language study and a separate list of 1st-3rd choices for my master's?

Thanks!

Hi! I'm planning to apply for the 2009 scholarships. I called up the Chinese Embassy here in Manila last week but someone from the Cultural Section told me that they don't have any information regarding the scholarships for this year yet. Is there anyone else here who's from Manila and is also planning to apply this year? Thanks!

ABQgirl,

I'm really sorry if I come off sounding like an ass.. but regarding:

Should I choose a field I have experience in? I have an undergrad in Linguistics and I have quite a bit of experience in Education. Do I need to apply for one of this programs? will they throw out my application if I am not qualified to get the degree I want?

What kind of question is this? Are you serious about getting a Master's degree? And it is not the CSC that reviews your application for acceptance into a program - they're just looking to see if you're eligible to receive the scholarship. I would assume that the school would decide if you are qualified for their graduate program.

2nd: Can and I should I specify a 1st-3rd choice for the two primary years of language study and a separate list of 1st-3rd choices for my master's?

Have you even looked at the application? There isn't a section for that. You can only choose your top three schools. CSC will decide where you will learn Chinese - and you will most likely get only 1 year of remedial Chinese. Usually, you will learn Chinese at the same institute you will get your degree from.

It's hard for me to feel like you are actually serious about getting a Master's degree or the scholarship considering your lack of due diligence.

I'm having a rough day at work. Sorry for being an ass, but I'm not going to waste my energy trying to sound nice.

jamielynn,

read the first post. you cant just come in here thinking we're going to give information to you when you are a total stranger not telling us anything about yourself. read the post and tell us about yourself before thinking we're going to tell you anything about getting the scholarship.

sorry. like i said, rough day at work. so read the first damn post.

dear roddy, imron, regulars of the csc forum, and strangers (read the first post),

i know im not being a good chinese-forums representative, but i dont want to have to pretend to be nice or put in any effort trying to post responses coated with sugar and spice and everything nice - especially right now when i have really many other huge things to deal with. so please excuse my behavior. thank you.

ps. does anyone know if there are obama inauguration parties going on anywhere in beijing?