Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Re: Where did you get documents notarized?

Try going to your bank. Where I live (Michigan) I have found out that almost all the banks have one person on staff that is a notary, and the service is free to customers who have an account there. I got all my documents notarized and stamped within five minutes, completely for free. Quite nice since last time I had to get something notarized it costed 5 dollars a page if I remember right.

I thought you all might find this interesting. I am going to be applying to schools in Cheng Du (incidentally, if any of you have gotten scholarships there, I would LOVE to talk to you)

Here is a note on the page I thought might be of interest:

Date:2008-4-8 9:46:18

For CSC students whose scholarship will stop on 15th July, 2008 while want to continue study at China, please come to International Affairs Office before 20th of April 2008 to get the Form for Extension of Chinese Government Scholarships.

http://fad.swjtu.edu.cn/english/NewsDetail.aspx?id=198

This might just mean there is a chance of renewing the scholarship or extending it at the end of our terms. This is not something I need as I have not even applied yet, but I wanted to share. I know the application says that there is no way to extend this, but that makes this post all the more intriguing.

Extrapages: thanks for the response. I hope your days gets better. I'm a definite believer that there's no such thing as a stupid question if you really don't know and in a process as nebulous as this one and in country whose universities I know nothing about, there appear to be NO clear answers. Thanks so much for humoring me I really appreciate it.

Hi would any body be able to help me with applying for the scholarship in Australia? I'm from Perth and I've been to the local embassy here and I was told that they don't deal with scholarships there but that I should speak to someone at the Education Office at the consulate in Canberra. I called them, but I was told to speak to the WA Department of Education, which seems quite odd. I know my university has some programs with the CSC, but from what I can gather it's only for post-graduate studies, I can't find anything about studying solely Mandarin.

Thanks!

Well, after sending a message to the EU representative contact, there is no problem on being 26 years old...maybe it's a mistake in the chinese webpage...as for apply for the schoolarship while being in China their answer was "You can, but your chance of success is not as big as those not in China"

I'll cross my fingers...

Hey guys,

I found this forum a couple of months ago when I started doing some research on studying in China. I'm in my last year of uni in Vancouver, Canada right now and I graduate in June. Wanted to head off to China for about 2 semesters starting Fall 09 to learn Mandarin, get that independent experience, and do some travelling. Then I plan to come back and go to law school, if I get in. If not, at least I'll have travelled the world :D .

My plan is to study in Beijing (prob BLCU) if I get the scholarship....and if I have to fund myself, probably Shanghai because tuition/accommodations seem to be cheaper from what I've found.

Just wanted to post on here cuz I haven't seen any Canadians post here yet...so I guess I'll kind of be a guinea pig. I e-mailed the Chinese consulate in Vancouver (whose education section has the address of a residential house - shady right?) and am waiting to hear back about whether the application can be submitted to them or needs to be passed on to Ottawa. From what I've read on here, I'll be lucky to find even 1 person at the embassy/consulate who even knows what CSC is...

I'll keep everyone updated...thanks for all the info on here...it'll definitely help as I put my app together. Most of all, I hope I'm eligible for this scholarship as a Canadian haha...let me know if anyone on here is from Canada and has applied.

and if I have to fund myself, probably Shanghai because tuition/accommodations seem to be cheaper
Shanghai is probably not the best place to go if you're looking to save on costs. You'd be better of picking a 2nd-tier city somewhere if funding is a critical issue.

Imron,

Thanks for the advice...I looked at tuition/dorm prices for Shanghai and it seemed to be cheaper than BLCU...but yeah I know cost of living for sure is pretty high in Shanghai.

Does anyone happen to know who I can contact at the Chinese embassy/consulates in Canada about the scholarship?

Wow.... I tried to read through the entire thread but I feel rather confused now...... I suppose I'd better explain my situation:

I am 16 years old and in 11th grade of high school, and in 1st year of college, in the USA (Florida). I am in an accelerated college program, which basically means that when I finish 12th grade of high school, I'll also have two years of college done, with only 2 more required for the Bachelor's Degree. I am also quite a Sinophile :mrgreen:. So then, I want to go to a university in China for my degree, which hopefully will be in Mechanical Engineering. If I've read this thread and some other relevant info correctly, getting this CSC Scholarship (the undergrad degree, right?) would mean I spend 2 years learning Chinese, and then 4 years studying Mechanical Engineering at a Chinese university, in Chinese. Right? So then, what should I do? When I should I take any of the steps that lead to the scholarship? Should I apply as a normal High School graduate (I don't mind losing the 2 years of college here in the US at all if it means going to a University in China), or something else? Please help! What do I do to get a full scholarship to a Chinese University???!!!!!!:help

ximeng8,

I think you should seriously reconsider where you get your undergraduate degree. An American degree will be (at least for another 5 years) worth more than one you may get from a top Chinese university in the global market.

I think you might be better off continuing your accelerated program, graduating early, and taking a year or two to learn Chinese and get experience in the Chinese job market doing whatever you want during the time you saved with the program. And if you do decide to pursue a degree in China (undergraduate or graduate) it should be directly related to Chinese or Chinese culture, not something where you can get a better degree in the States (like mechanical engineering).

If you are a serious Sinophile and want to continue in engineering, I would recommend that you finish school in the States, and then consider a graduate degree in China in a very specific area in mech eng that China is a world leader in.

You should engage in serious conversation regarding your future and where you want to take it with your mentors and your parents and your guidance counselors.

Thanks for the reply, extrapages! :D

I've been thinking about it a lot and have consulted several people, and I think finishing my degree here in the USA and then doing the Master's in China is the best idea. I suppose I'll apply for the CSC scholarship then, and hopefully I'll have enough money to at least visit China during the summer sometime during the next 4 years. Anyways, thanks for the advice!

Dru, I'm canadian, and did get the scholarship for this year. There *is* someone in the Vancouver consulate who knows what's going on, but for the life of me, I cannot remember his name or email. I checked, too. Sorry! Anyhow, you shouldn't need to send it to Ottawa. I'm an Albertan, and I'm pretty darn sure my stuff went to Vancouver.

I didn't apply directly to the Vancouver consulate unfortunately, since the AB government has some kind of deal going on with the Chinese, so I applied through them.... but I think Vancouver is where it all ends up anyhow.

Plus, I'm in the process of reapplying, and I'm not going through the AB government this time, so if I find out anything else, I'll let you know!

Hi everyone!

I have been reading this thread for quite some time and have found it extremely useful. I would like to start out by thanking everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially ExtraPages.

A little bit about me: I am finishing up my bachelor's degree at a small college in Northwest Iowa and hope to be able to go to China for a year or two after I graduate, in order to study Mandarin and learn about Chinese culture. When I found out about the CSC scholarship it seemed like the perfect way to accomplish those goals.

So far, I have been working on getting all my application materials together. I got my passport, letters of recommendation, Official Transcripts, Letter of Enrollment, and I am currently trying to complete my Foreigner's Physical Examination form. I visited my local doctor today and the hospital was able to do all the tests that I needed, however, they did not understand what tests were required for the Laboratory Exam.

Here is my question: Does anyone know what tests need to be done for the Laboratory Exam? The application states AIDS, Syphilis, etc... My doctor of course has no idea what is meant by etc. and suggested that I make sure I know what is needed to avoid wasting money and smooth the visa process. So if anyone can clarify what tests are required I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Yaoshuya

Yaoshuya,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad this thread has been helping you. Thanks for being part of it. =]

The "Laboratory Exam" is for AIDS and syphilis. Those are the only two they need to test for. It would be good to get a copy of the actual lab results (but I don't think that's necessary). Everything needs to be "stamped" (office stamp with address is enough) and include a signature.

Make sure every page has the office stamp and signature of your doctor. After all is said and done, photocopy and scan (if you're anal like me) all the pages for your records. Keep and treat the original like your passport.

If unsure, you can ask the Chinese embassy (if you are close enough to stop by) or send them a fax of it, just to double check before handing it in with your application.

It would be good to get a copy of the actual lab results (but I don't think that's necessary).
It is if you want to have any chance of the medical being accepted when you get to China and not have to through the whole process again. You may well end up having to do that anyway, but having hard-copies, if possible, is best. A lot of places however refuse to give out hard copies of blood tests for AIDS, so make sure to ask them beforehand if they can do this.

Does anyone have anymore information on applying within China? As to whether you can use your current China address vs pretending to be in your home country. Also in regards to getting a notarized Diploma copy. Is it acceptable to have an official transcript from my school listing my degree and info?

As I will be in china when applying does anyone have any experience using their physical exam results from within China?

Also any fudan students recieved the csc by applying through them?

DogPyro,

You CAN apply from China. We have people here who have and received the scholarship... and there are certain clinics that specialize in the visa physical exam. You just need to ask around or call an agency to find out.

Having the transcript is NOT enough. You also need a notarized copy of your actual diploma. Both are required. You might just need to have someone at home send mail it to you.

Just as an update, I heard back from the Chinese Consulate in Vancouver and they forwarded me to another person from the BC Ministry of Education...so for anyone wanting to apply from British Columbia, Canada, here it is:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/offshore_schools/os_scholar.htm

Only bad news is the deadline is actually March 1 so I have to bust my butt to get everything ready for the app and send it off to Victoria, BC on the island.

I was also told that while 2 reference letters are required from people who have taught you, additional reference letters from other ppl such as work supervisors can be included as well, so this also confirms what you guys have been saying earlier about just including an extra letter to be safe. Unfortunately I haven't kept in touch with a lot of my professors because I was off campus for 8 months so one of my references might be someone who classroom trained me at work for about a month.

Hi All!

Just happen to see this post looking through the forum and glad i did. Have been planning for the past year to come to china to study mandarin for a max of three years but savings have taken a hit with the financial downturn. Didn’t even know the scholarship existed till reading the information on here, all of which has been very useful, so thanks.

Just wondering, is there anybody who has successfully applied from the UK? I have read all the information on the boards and official website but am after more information on the notarisation requirements for the Degree Transcript and Certificate, i.e. do both documents need to be legalised? Can the two documents be notarised/legalised together? Can a UK university notarise an undergraduate degree?

I have tried sending e-mails to both the EU Consulate and CSC but have thus far had no response. The reason i ask is that to get two university documents notarised, stamped by the foreign commonwealth office, and legalised by the Chinese embassy is going to cost in excess of £300.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Jon

Hello!

I have just registered in the forum! =) . Let me tell you how i got interested with the CSC Scholarship. I read a newspaper add last week that informed the openings in my country for the scholaships to learn chinese language for the year 2009-2010, after i did a research about the requirements I came across with the fact that the scholarship goes from sept 2009 to july 2010,....I want to know if the CSC gives another one that begins in Feb 2010 ?? It would be great because I'm a peruvian university student, at the moment i'm still studying to become a food ingineer ( i finish in 2010 ) and when i saw the add i thought about the possibility of missing a school's year to go to china and then return to Peru and finish my career , but if the program in china begins in sept. and finishes in july 2010 it would imply that I'd have to miss 2 years , because in Peru the school's year begins in march-april and i can't start classes at the middle of school's year ( meaning september) So pleaseee inform me if there's another chance to apply maybe for the Feb 2010 scholarship ??

thanks a lot and sorry for my english u.u

JDavies,

I wish I could help, but I applied from the States. I'm sure there's someone from the UK that's still around that might be able to help you. All I know is that universities do not notarize documents - BUT you can send an unofficial copy of the transcript that you can get from your school(s) - usually free of charge (or very cheap) for alumni.

There are only two things that need to be notarized - the certificate of your diploma and the physical exam (but I think EU people don't need to do that until after you get the scholarship).

Please read the first post thoroughly.

---

Sophie.T,

Classes start in September, and February would be the middle of the year - the opposite of classes in Peru. But you DO have the option of doing only one year instead of two. I think you should finish school and try to apply for September 2010.

---

Oh, P.S. - welcome to the forum!

Edited by extrapages
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!