Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Hi! another question...

Under "Education Background" we are asked to list instutions. So far, i've only been to University and Highschool.

According to the guidelines on the last page of the application form we are also asked to provide diplomas and transcripts.Looking at page 1, extrapages seems to be saying that we include copies of all transcripts and diplomas.

My question is: should i be including my highschool graduation results as a "diploma" with my current university transcripts, or is my university transcript sufficient?

Usually a diploma in Australia is just a short term course.. so i'm a bit confused!

Well, it is not a negative paper. In fact, it is a very positive paper that highlights economic, political and social struggles/changes over its recent history. It's more along the lines of how China became the way it is now, and why it should be understood and respected. If anything, I would imagine a Chinese person would be more proud after reading it than angry or upset. As it is 12 pages long, it naturally includes some "questionable" material, but I was hoping it would be overlooked by the final outcome.

Another note, this was my final paper for class a couple semesters ago and my teacher mentioned it was one of the most interesting he has read from an undergrad student. I'm just not sure about everyone else...

I see your point. If you think your work is good, then go ahead and send the same. After all, our concerns for each other are our opinions only. At the end of the day, it will all boil down to the decision of the CSC board.

Evaseige,

My university academics have told me that they never recieve grants from Mainland China as what they publish is seen to be a bit too dicey.

Just subjective experiance, but its worth keeping in mind that what your academics find interesting is definitely not what the Chinese government does!

Where are you applying from?

Beijing, China, though using my permanent address in New York (my mom will mail to the DC Embassy)

Are you currently in China?

Yes

What did your local state embassy say?

Unresponsive. Coordinating with DC.

Where and how did you get your papers notarized?

Will go to the US Embassy in Beijing.

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand?

No, because the advice on these threads recommended me not to.

Where did you get your physical exam done?

I'm planning on going to the International Travel Health Clinic, Haidian Qu, Dezheng Lu #10, 8240-3675, next week. But I've gotten the run-around from every hotel/clinic in town so far, and I'm skeptical that this place will work. ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about?

As others have said: Everything I learned, I learned from this forum.

Any hiccups you had to work through?

In addition to finding a place to get my physical exam done, I'm worried about getting my recommendations in on time, because they're coming in from all over the globe. Do you think I could ask my recommenders to sign and then fax their letters to my home in New York, and then stick the letters in envelopes there? It will be much faster than waiting for snail mail to arrive from Papua New Guinea, Beijing and Rio de Janeiro.

My work has mostly been involved with media, a lot of times writing as a journalist for Western news outlets. Does anyone know if this could be held against me, and would lead the CSC to reject my application? I'm concerned that they won't support a journalist coming to China to study for a year, in fear of writing about so-called sensitive subjects.

I've searched the thread and didn't find any information on this topic. Any help on this will be much appreciated!

Awesome job on this thread, btw.

Where have people gone for their health cheaks in the UK? Im going to my GP but they want to charge me about £500. Has everyone included chest xrays and had lots of blood test for AIDS, the plague ect? What has everyone elses medical included and have you all had your doctor fill out the form online? Loads of thanks x

Extrapages,

Mind sending me the info about the guy in DC? I've basically been having the same issues as other applicants from the US because none of the other consulates seem to know anything about anything, and apparently the people that are suppose to know, don't answer the phone or respond to emails. Would be much appreciated.

Extrapages,

I would also like to ask for the DC Embassy contact info.

In my case it is my local embassy, but all 6 phone numbers and 2 emails I have tried for it have been a dead end. Seems they don't like to be bothered :lol:

My contribution to the community will be a bit of info discovery that I haven't seen here before. My employment history has been entirely within the US DoD, and its just not possible to scrub all references to it from my application when all my recommendations and my sponsor are all affiliated with it in some way.

I suspect this will be a red flag that may prevent me receiving a scholarship, but there's only one way to find out for certain. I'll be sure to post when I find out if I have received the scholarship or been rejected.

Thanks.

I guess my question is, mostly geared towards extrapages but others feel free to chime in as well, but do you know of anyone who hasn't received the scholarship? I've looked through this thread and it seems like everyone has received the scholarship that's applied for it, but perhaps there is a "survivorship bias" i.e., anyone who didn't receive the scholarship wouldn't have posted the bad news here?

Here's my two cents worth:

Chinese Government set up its scholarship program to attract foreign students to study in their universities. Thus, the main purpose of the scholarship is to invite foreign students to study in China regardless whether they are excellent or not.

Based on facts, China is not yet at par in terms of quality education compared to English speaking countries in the west. One way of establishing Chinese education to the rest of the world is to make the universities international in nature. The scholarship the Chinese Government offers is the key to attain China's goal.

I think the number of scholarships is greater than the number of applicants. In view of this, I guess that CSC accepts all the applicants who have shown enough interest to study in China.

Compared to UK for instance, British Chevening was set up also by the British Government for foreign students but only for those who have demonstrated excellence in their respective fields.

To summarize, the former is for foreign students who have shown interest to study in China, while the latter is for foreign students who have demonstrated excellence in their respective fields. Of course, interest to study in the UK is already given.

lizzie86,

All you really need is the AIDS and Syphillis test, a chest x ray and an ECG. Those are the only results that should be included, and they're extremely common procedures.

In australia its covered by medicare, i can't imagine the english NHS is any differant.

Try a differant doctor!

More confusion about notarized copies. I finally got my physical examination done (whole process was a large pain in the ass for me and I still might get billed $250 in the end). Anyways, my local bank is telling me that to notarize something is to confirm a signature actually belongs to that person. They told me the copy of physical exam is not something you can get notarized. They told me the form already has the official stamp of the doctor, which should be enough. Am I missing something here?

Hi Bedan,

I hope you could help me again. I just realized that your suggestion of applying directly to the university of my choice is only applicable to postgraduates. Therefore, I am not eligible. Which means, I have to resort in contacting the Chinese embassy here in the Philippines again. As what you have stated, the said embassy tends to be "unaware" of CSC, but I have read barb_punk's post (page 1), he said that the embassy helped him with his application. I wonder how it happened.

Anyway, since I am an undergrad, does anyone have any idea if CSC allows university transferring ( some subjects are credited)? Sorry if this question sounds lame, I just really wanted to know.

P.S. Can anyone teach me how to send a PM? I would like to message barb_punk and ask some advices on how the Phil embassy was able to help him. Thank you.

More confusion about notarized copies. I finally got my physical examination done (whole process was a large pain in the ass for me and I still might get billed $250 in the end). Anyways, my local bank is telling me that to notarize something is to confirm a signature actually belongs to that person. They told me the copy of physical exam is not something you can get notarized. They told me the form already has the official stamp of the doctor, which should be enough. Am I missing something here?
I was told the exact same thing when I went to have my transcript notarized. Ultimately I just submitted my official transcript and a photocopy of my physical exam with a "stamped official stamp" (:D), but I am applying through my university's own CSC program, so they essentially vouch for everything. (The first post here is quite correct -- it is much easier to have a university near a Chinese consulate handle the Chinese Government Scholarship for you than to submit it individually.)

As I learned afterward, the basic problem is that in most states you can't notarize the face of a document. Notarizing something usually entails signing a piece of paper and swearing to its authenticity in front of a notary, who will stamp and/or sign it. Documents that are meant to be notarized typically have a section at the end expressly meant for you and the notary, which is where the confusion comes in. It's a complicated procedure and it varies from state, but here's what you should do if your notary won't notarize your transcript at first:

It's your college degree or transcript and you have been asked by your employer to provide a notarized copy or perhaps an Apostille.. It sounds simple, but there are a few things for you to consider, and some decisions for you to make. The simplest procedure is for you to write a statement that the document is yours, and have your signature on the statement notarized.

Alternatively, you can have a notary go to the school, obtain a letter from the registrar that the attached copy is authentic, and have the signature of the registrar notarized. Both procedures involve the notarization of a signature, but the first is your signature; the second is the signature of the registrar.

The first procedure, the notarization of your signature is the valid, but, does not constitute notarization of the degree or transcript. It might be acceptable; but that determination can only be made by the person or institution where you submit the documents.

[...]

The alternative involves more work. A notary must go to the educational institution, meet with the registrar, obtain a letter stating the attached document (degree or transcript) is valid; and notarize the signature on that letter - that refers to the document. With this procedure the document itself has been notarized and is far more acceptable, compared to your statement of the documents validity. The letter from the registrar should be on official school stationary and the title of the person signing should be on the letter. They must be an official of the school, authorized to make a statement as to the validity of the attached document. Ideally the letter describes the attached document in detail, the signature must me handwritten not imprinted or a stamp.

Educational documents are among the most difficult to process for Apostille or Embassy/Consulate Legalization.

Anyway, since I am an undergrad, does anyone have any idea if CSC allows university transferring ( some subjects are credited)? Sorry if this question sounds lame, I just really wanted to know.
According to its website, it does not:
Students are not permitted, in principle, to change their specialties, institutions or the duration of study specified in the Admission Notice after registration.
I don't know what "in principle" means, though.

Salipot,

There are inconsistencies in the information on this thread. Lanzhou University, where I have applied accepts undergraduates to apply directly for the CSC scholarship. Unfortunately, 15th March was its deadline. I suggest to you to have patience in searching for other schools which accepts undergrads too aside from Lanzhou Uni.

In the past two years, Chinese Embassy was able to help applicants. However, it does not apply this year because the person in chrage of the scholarship already resigned and I was told that she went back to China already. It does not make sense though that no one took charge in managing the concerns of the applicants. I was also told that if I am interested in the scholarship, I should contact the CHED which I called subsequently but nobody either in CHED knows the existence of CSC.

P.S.

I think that we have the same interest in Law. Since I also want to take law right away during my undergrad but we cannot as we have to have a bachelor's degree first, I took Legal Management where I was trained to become a law student. After 4 years of study, I understand the gruelling experience of becoming a law student. After graduating last year, I decided to do a master's degree first abroad to gain more confidence when I finally take the law in the Philippines.

I hope we can exchange arguments in Court in the near future. Good luck to you Salipot.