Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Hello all!

I have just put my application in the mail to the DC embassy. so it's out of my hands. so I am free to chew my fingernails until July.

Here are a few things folks might find helpful:

I too had trouble getting stuff notarized. They told me they could only notarize things I had signed, not copies. I think this is the common service banks offered since others here have had the same problem and I went to a few banks. When I went to a place that charges and specialized in notary, it was not an issue.

My insurance appears to have covered most of the costs of the exam. If you are insured, you might not be looking at a pricey exam. FYI.

Good luck everyone! did anyone else apply to schools in Chengdu?

Your insurance coverage must be comprehensive.

My insurance only covers medical expenses arising from accidental causes. Physical exam for purposes of applying for whatever reason is not covered.

Btw, let's wait for the final judgement until July 31.

A few pages back, another forum member asked about getting the medical check done in Beijing. I just went on Friday, so here's my experience with it.

The Beijing International Travel Health Clinic is located at:

北京国际旅行卫生保健中心

海淀区德政路10号 (10# De Zheng Lu, Haidian District, Beijing)

Tel: 82403675

There is a map here: http://www.fileqube.com/shared/tudhxEtb52158

The Clinic is way far out in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you take the phone number with you for your taxi driver because no one knows where this place is. To make things worse, their opening hours are only from 8:30 am to 11:00 am, and I have heard stories of people showing up at 10 am and being turned away because there were too many people. The moral of the story is, go as early as possible!

I arrived at about 9:45 am and luckily, it was very quiet, and I was finished at about 10:30. The doctors and administrative clerks were very efficient and cordial.

Depending on where you are, you can take the bus (use http://bus.mapbar.com for exact routes) or the subway. The closest subway stop from the clinic is 西二旗 (xi'erqi) on line 13. A taxi from there should cost about 13RMB.

You should be armed with at least 1 2-inch passport photos, mine had a white background and a copy of your passport. You may also need more photos if you decide to get official copies of the form (which will save you having to run to the embassy to get it notarized for your application).

When you register for your medical check, you should request official copies of your form. Each one will cost 30 RMB and you will need to have a photo for each copy. You can also have your form and copy sent to you via courier for 30 RMB. It takes a few days to process, mine is taking 4 working days.

The pricing is different depending on your visa. As a student, mine was 346 RMB.

I hope that will help all applicants in Beijing with their medical check!

---

Is the deadline for sending in application materials really April 15th for Washington DC? Crap, I have been working on the April 30th deadline and my medical won't be coming until Friday. :(

Is the deadline for sending in application materials really April 15th for Washington DC? Crap, I have been working on the April 30th deadline and my medical won't be coming until Friday.

Time is of the essence in sending scholarship application. If you're not sure about the REAL deadline for the DC embassy, you should have used the 15th instead to put yourself on the safe side. Nevertheless, the damage has been done. Your medical won't be released until friday. I suggest you call the embassy this coming monday to clarify things.

Good luck moderntime.

Hi!

I posted on this forum the first time a while ago, and have been lurking a little since.

To introduce myself... I am a senior in college and my girlfriend and I want to study next year in Beijing under the CSC scholarship. I have three questions.

First would one of you who is already in China mind serving as my girlfriend's and my's guarantor? I would be willing to do so for someone next year and help with the thread in any way I can.

Second, is the April 15th deadline really the deadline for the DC embassy? (I, like others have heard april 30th elsewhere). Is that the date that the stuff should be postmarked by or get there by?

Third: I have seen that you can apply to the scholarship through the American Association of Colleges (I think that's what it's called, they posted some memo about applying through them.last year) does anyone know anything about applying to the scholarship through them?

Thanks!

Five_Elements

Hey! A couple things:

1. The deadline situation is a little fuzzy. I'm trying to see if one of the many people I sent the DC contact to (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) can get the official deadline from the guy. Hopefully, that will be cleared up soon. But from what I understand, if you are applying directly to DC, the deadline is the 30th. But you're trying to apply through another channel, so it's probably earlier. You will have to contact "American Association of Colleges" to see when their deadline is. If anyone knows anything about that, please post.

2. I'll be the guarantor for you and your ladyfriend. Just send me a PM.

So my boyfriend's trying to apply for the scholarship via the Chinese Embassy in Washington D.C., and he is using the information that extrapages has. However, the embassy has since moved, and UPS doesn't know where the Chinese Embassy is in Washington D.C. Does anybody have the new address of the Chinese Embassy there?

Thanks!

We've tried both the Connecticut Avenue one and the Wisconsin Avenue one already, and both are incorrect. UPS is sending the package back to his Mom who is in the US, but we're going to have to find the correct one. I was told that they're at International Place now, but again, no concrete street address. His mom's tried calling them, but again, like my previous experience, nobody picks up the phone, and my boyfriend is trying to call them now. He's sent off an email to the contact info that extrapages has, but we're waiting on a reply right now.

I wish they'd figure out where they're located and let me know! There's this thing called a deadline looming!

That news about the unknown D.C address and the apparent April 15th deadline have me freaking out! My entire city has been under varying degrees of shut down for a few weeks due to severe flooding, and so I was looking forward to getting everything accomplished this week and in the mail early next week..... I can find nothing on the CSC website that states the 15th being the deadline, but.... this is bad news. I know I should have had this completed earlier than this, but going to China in the fall was pretty much my #1 plan, so if this falls though I am pretty much screwed :wall

@extrapages thanks! I really appreciate it. But how do you send a PM? I read that they may be disabled for new users; I made my account a while ago, but have only posted a couple of times, so I don't know if they are enabled for me or not.

Also, would you mind sending me the info on your DC guy when I pm you?

Man o man this deadline is getting me nervous hehe.

I called the Chinese embassy mid-March or so to ask about the deadline and they did say it was the 30th of April, so the issue with the 15th being the deadline can probably be ignored. The one thing that's been worrying me (besides the address change -- so THAT'S why I'm not even getting their automated answering service on the phone) is the question of what to put down for "Organization or Person Recommending you for this scholarship". Someone said that it was possible to use the Chinese embassy itself as that organization, but how does that work? Would you have to get in touch with a higher-up in the embassy to put them down? Or what? Does anyone know? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

an update,

bringing my documents to Toronto on Wednesday. One question, is it ok to fill it out (the application) in printing? i could not access the pdf, its clear enough to read as i wrote slow.

notarized copies transcript/degree? check

reference letters? check

this is exciting, i hope i get it! my top 3 are ocean u., qingdao u. shandong ust, i want to study in qingdao.

the gentleman at the embassy informed that if one of the tests took a little long (aids/syphylis) but i got everything else in, he would help me and talk to beijing. i don't think that one will be back by wed. but surely month end, i'll stamp it and send it asap to Toronto, I'm meeting with the gentleman in person so that should help.