Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

@five_elements, enabling of PMs is not time related, but rather post related and there is no set amount for what that number of posts is. If you can't see that you can make PMs, then you can't make them. However, they should be enabled for you now.

Hi all,

After recently attempting to apply to Tsinghua directly and being NOT ADMITTED (I did not realize this was even possible) on the basis that I am not 18 yet (17 years old...).

I read the age limits and restrictions for the CSC scholarship, but they only mention that language students must be "under the age of 35." Does this imply that the student must also be above 18?

Also, is it better to apply to the full scholarship or the partial scholarship - meaning will one be harder to get than the other??

I have studied in Beijing 1 year prior to this application, and I have taken several American Standarized tests (AP/SAT Chinese) to prove that I am capable of moderately good Chinese language skills. Will this affect/help my application or chances at all?

Thanks,

Yingcai

Eric Canada,

It's ok to print in your application. 1 of the 2 applications I sent out (I applied directly to a university in addition to applying through DC just in case) already arrived at the university, and they've been asking me questions about my application concerning my degree study there. In other words, they had no trouble understanding (and accepting) my handwritten application. There's no specific instructions to type. Just make sure it's VERY clear. I spent hours painstakingly filling mine out.

-Menyawga

So, after reading a large portion of this thread, I still have questions regarding the application.

1. Language Students need not have recommendations, right?

2. If recommendations are required for language students, then I'm assuming 2 is the number we should go by (one personal, one academic)?

3. On another note, I attended SYA china last year, so should I photocopy my 结业证书 and send this to the embassy? I would think it could provide proof of attendance or something of the like.

4. Which forms need to be notarized? I read that section in which you divvied up the forms into "Original" and "Copy" sets, but I am still confused as to what I should notarize. 结业证书? AP/SAT scores?

Thanks,

Yingcai

yingcai,

Read the first post thoroughly - it applies to Chinese Language applicants.

Also, read the CSC site, and read through the CSC application.

---

A. There is no explicit minimum age, but if you're under 18 and Tsinghua didn't accept you, I don't know if your chances are much higher for the CSC scholarship.

B. As for the full or partial scholarship - read the first post.

C. And for what will help your chances of getting the scholarship - read the first post. No one knows anything about the chances of getting it, let alone what makes the chances better.

---

1. You do need recommendations. Read the first post.

2. Read the first post.

3. Read the application. It's not a required part of the application. Send it if you want.

4. Read the first post.

Hey guys. I've just recieved some great news. I've been awarded a scholarship to study at HIT. Although I applied through a different route than most of you guys, this thread was still very helpful. So my thanks goes out to all those who have contributed to this thread and especially extrapages.

I think my monthly stipend is 1400. How far will this go in a city like Harbin? I know that extrapages mentioned that you'll need more in a city like Beijing, but does that also apply to a city like Harbin where the cost of living is lower? I need to decide on how much extra money I should bring to China.

Cheers.

jereme88,

Congratulations! Could you tell us more about how you applied?

1400 will go pretty far in a place like Harbin... but it really depends on your lifestyle. You can very easily blow that in a night of insane partying - much like it's possible to blow $300 at one go in the States.

I applied through the HIT-Go8 scholarschip program. It's the same csc scholarship that most of you guys are applying for, except that I am applying directly to HIT. You also have to be a student at one of the Go8 universities in Australia and need to have excellent academic results. If you guys want to know more, just google "csc hit go8 scholarship". The deadline was 31st March.

I just wanted to confirm that I also emailed the contact at the Washington DC embassy, and he is out of office until the 18th. Unbelievable that the embassy may have moved and that they haven't put up the new address yet, this process is making me very nervous as I'm planning on overnighting my application from Beijing.

I have just done an internet search and I think that this may be the new address for the embassy. Based on these three websites: this, this and this.

3505 International Pl NW

Washington, DC 20008

Well, it is worth a shot, at any rate.

Edited by moderntime

in the same situation for Washington DC, pretty much freaking out at this point. Emailed the contact, he will be out of the office till the 18th. So really hoping that the deadline rumor on here about the 15th isn't true.... I haven't read anywhere else that it isn't the 30th. Have also tried to call but no one answers. Now worried about the address situation. It's hard to believe that the Chinese Embassy hasn't had their mail forwarded... but not unthinkable. Wanted to send the application overnight mail today but now worried about whether to worry about the 15th deadline or the correct address.... ahhh one more difficulty.

Extrapages,

Apologies for not having thoroughly read the first post, it answered my questions regarding the recommendations.

I still have questions regarding the application though:

Although I have read the Notary/copies section of the 1st post, I am still lost as to what exactly you are trying to get at with the "original set" and "copy set." Do I send both or what? Or are you trying to say that we need to keep copies at home (NOT send) in case something is lost? This section is a bit unclear.

Also, regarding the issue of age for the application. Just to let future posters/viewers know, I did contact the Foreign Students Office at Tsinghua after being immediately rejected due to my age. Using the best Chinese I knew, I ensured the official that I had a "guarantor" that I knew very well living in Beijing (provided name and address). He IMMEDIATELY responded, saying that he could "reconsider my application" if I provided a "公证书。“ I'm assuming this means to get some kind of proof that I know my guarantor, problem is, in order to get proof, doesnt he have to sign something.....from China??

Anyway, it seems that it is indeed possible to be under 18 and still be considered by Chinese Universities (whether you can be accepted is another thing altogether). I think I'm going to let the coordinator know that I plan to apply to CSC, and due to our discussion, will be more willing to accept me for the scholarship. We'll see.

yingcai,

If you read the application itself, it says to send two copies of your application materials: the original and a copy. Both must be sent to CSC together - it does not include a copy for yourself. Make one if you want to keep one.

Proof would probably just be a letter from your guarantor with a signature and contact information.

@imron thanks! However I still don't see where I can send PMs... where on the UI is it?

Also, I hate to contradict the common wisdom, but doesn't 申请表 just mean "application form"? So wouldn't the line that reads "申请表(一式两份)/Two Letters of Recommendation." Mean two copies of the actual form and not the whole bundle of materials? I don't know why they would have put it on a separate line in the check list and not in the directions if they meant send two of everything...

Last question before handing it in tomorrow in Toronto:

for the medical, what constitutes a 'sealed' photograph. should i get them to stamp over my photo on the physical form??

i will get them to stamp each page/photocopy just to be safe.

A stamp over your photo should be good; I remember doing that last time I went to China and there wasn't a problem with it. China just really, really likes stamps :wink: Best of luck! I am hopefully going to have everything on my end ready to go early next week so I can overnight it to D.C....

@imron thanks! However I still don't see where I can send PMs... where on the UI is it?

Top right, or click on a username and follow the links. You weren't blind, I needed to make a quick change.