Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

mokushiroku,

why dont you tell us more about your situation. where are you applying from? where did you get the applications? what are the problems youve run into? who did you talk to? did you get contact information? how is the system in the embassy that you contacted? did they KNOW what CSC is?

i refuse to give out my personal contact info to total strangers for NO REASON. i value my privacy, safety, and sanity too much to simply pass out my information to random people from the internet. if i didnt, i would post my address here, publicly. hell, id get trillions of flyers printed with my full name, address, number, age, social security number, mothers maiden name, dogs name, favorite color, daily schedule, etc. for dirt cheap and have a plane drop them in major cities all over the world.

i expect people to, at the very least, even if only out of basic courtesy, give as much as they would even ASK to receive.

---

in response to jamoldo's post.

i SO DEFINITELY COULD ALMOST BET MONEY that i read somewhere that you couldnt already be in china when you apply. this topic came up a few times before, and each time, i tried to look for the document where i found that information, and failed at every attempt.

---

as for the regular gang on this thread,

thank you so much for all the information youve been pouring into this thread. especially elwood, lately. i promise, i will definitely work on editing the first post and setting up something for the guarantors.

i just need to get my life in order. quarter life crisis is not fun, neither is falling behind with my consulting projects... and accepting the fact that i am ALREADY behind in classes... at week 3. woohoo.

extrapages,

Actually, I've already found someone who can be my guarantor.

I'm applying from Taiwan, which has no Chinese embassy. My plan is to go through the American Embassy in Beijing. I've almost got everything together and will probably send my application materials out next week.

mokushiroku,

thats excellent!

are you an american citizen? i hope so... because if youre not, you cannot apply though american authorities. also, i highly doubt that the american embassy in taiwan will know anything about the csc scholarship, as it is a chinese program, not an american one.

if you ARE an american citizen, what you'll probably end up having to do is apply to the chinese embassy in washington, dc. if you are NOT an american citizen (permanent resident status is also NOT enough), the chinese embassy in america will not deal with you.

tell us how this process goes!

I am a citizen of the US.

So what you're saying is I can't go through the US embassy in China but rather must go through the Chinese embassy in the US?

Do you think my being in Taiwan will hurt my chances at getting the scholarship?

How will the embassy know I am an American citizen? It doesn't seem as though the application procedure demands proof of citizenship.

I worry about all of this. What I want most right now in my life is this scholarship.

mokushiroku,

1. yes, you need to go through the CHINESE embassy in washington, d.c.

2. it might hurt your chances. it might not. i applied while i was in seoul, korea. but thats still a little different from your situation, as korea is obviously not a chinese/mandarin speaking country. i dont really know. its worth a shot.

3. of course theyll know youre an american citizen! the application requires you to send copies of your passport and all other information required to obtain a chinese visa (which csc will do for you if you get the scholarship).

4. i recommend that you read though this thread. ive tried to put up EVERYTHING i know about my experience. and im in the process of getting myself off my ass to reorganize the information in this thread to make it easier to understand. but its all here. so go through it. post questions if you run into any because we're all either in the same boat, or have been at some point in the not-so-long-ago past.

I've contacted the embassy but no one seems to know what the address to send my application for to is. The people in the education department don't return my calls.

Does anyone know the address to send the Chinese goverment scholarship to?

mokushiroku.

welcome to the world of the csc maze.

like i said, READ EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD. EVERYTHING.

everyone is going through or has gone through the same things you are.

is there a confucius institute in taiwan you can apply though? i heard that they now that a partnership with csc and that some of the ones in the states handle the csc applications for you. maybe the ones in taiwan also have some kind of partnership?

Nope, no Confucius Institute in Taiwan. I must have made at least 20 different phone calls to half a dozen organizations in the last couple days only to come out with nothing.

If this goes on for a few more days, I'm just going to choose some place to send it to and hope it gets worked out somehow cuz I am totally out of ideas on how to find out where to send all these documents I've spent the last month preparing.

mokushiroku,

READ the THREAD. please. please. please.

there is information i want to send you but you have to ask for it specifically.

and re: the guarantor, i think making up a number should be fine. use mine if you want.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through this forum for a while but can't find quite what I'm looking for.

The application procedure notes clearly specify that we must send our highest diploms and transcripts. "All should be in 3 copies: 1 original copy, 2 photo copies"

How can we be expected to send our original degree certificate?! That's nonsense. I'm not sure about how it works in the States but here in England it's not cheap to get an original certificate - there's no way we can be expected to send that.

As for transcripts, I assume the stamp/signature on the originals would be satisfactory notarization.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I need to get my application in by this coming Friday so running a little late :)

Thanks

James

For EU applicants the deadline is March 30th - maybe the old one was April 30th but the revised application procedures say March 30th.

It's confusing hey. One website page says April 20th but when you open the EU window where the actual application materials are it says March 30th. Have a look:

http://www.chinamission.be/eng/ofzz/t398585.htm

You're right about the notarized photocopy. Thanks for that, it's a relief! Now lets see how much this extortionate city is going to charge me for notarizing one piece of paper. :)

Cheers

James

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread for all the invaluable information, especially extrapages. This is the single most important source for understanding this convoluted application process out there.

Secondly, I have what is probably a rather stupid question, but I cannot for the life of me find anywhere that confirms the US application deadline for 2008. Everything that I have been able to find on the CSC site and elsewhere is marked for 2007 (since I am stuck in the never-ending run-around that most others have been through). Is the deadline March 30 or April 30?

hahaha! dokidoki i remember i had that problem, too.

and if you say that youve combed through the site, i will not question you or your ability to find information. so i think we should go straight to asking those who might have gotten in touch with the right authorities. you know who you are. and now we need you. do you guys know the official deadline?

Hey everyone,

I'm an American studying in Shanghai and I'd like to apply for the CSC scholarship for next year, but like everyone else, I have no idea what I should do. I've seen the support group thread for the CSC scholarship but I'm still a little confused.

Where should I go first? Should I go to the Embassy here in Shanghai and talk to someone there or do I have to call the DoE back in the states? Once I send it through the American government, will they send it to the Chinese Ministry of Education (or wherever) for me? Do I stand a better chance of being excepted for a full scholarship or a partial scholarship?

Also, does anyone know when the deadline is for the 2008-2009 school year application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just wanted to throw in a bit more about my experience. I am not affiliated with a university -- graduated 6 years ago -- and found out about the scholarship program late in the game; hence why I'm desperate to get a date confirmation. I will be able to get everything together and in the proper party's hands even if it's due March 30th (but, oh, April would be so much better), but I'm still working through the maze of finding out who that proper person is. If you have particular insights but do not want to share publicly, please PM me (I believe you have messages turned off, extrapages, but I would be SO grateful for your advice).

After reaching dead ends with my alma mater (an ivy school that had no clue about this program in their OCS or scholarship offices), the US DoE (even though the gentlemen I spoke with there went on a wild goose chase trying to track something down) and no word back from Chinese consulates and embassies, I called up the China Institute, where the Confucius Institute is incubated here in NYC. Though, once again, the employees had never heard of the scholarship, I was finally lead to a very friendly woman that was intrigued byt the scholarship and promised to help me get in touch directly with a contact at the consulate's education office. I'll let you know how this pans out, but in the meantime would appreciate any hard leads for this year's US application. I am pretty sure I can get my alma mater to sponsor me (or even perhaps the China Institute), but I just need to talk to someone about submission ASAP.

I have 30 April marked as the deadline on my calendar. =/ I don't know about the March deadline, as this is the first I've heard of it.

I should also add that it's based off the 2007 dates on the old application since I can't find a 2008 information page/application anyway, and any inquiries direct me to the embassies/consulates etc. that pretty much have no idea of what I'm talking about, anyway.