Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted. I just find out today that I've won a four-year full scholarship (although I applied for 5 years - 1 language course and 4 undergrad) in Huazhong Shifan Daxue in Wuhan to do my undergraduate studies. One of my classmates from university has been accepted into Xiamen University and he's madly happy about it. See you all in China! :D

I'm going to be an exchange student in China this year. I just found out today that I got a full scholarship as well. Does anyone know if we have to choose the courses prescribed by CSC or can we choose our own courses of interests?

I just got the email from the embassy, and I got the scholarship to study Chinese at BLCU for a year. ^^ I'm happy like anything, but now frantically trying to figure out how I'm going to get everything I need to do done before I leave!

Okay, I called and got confirmation I was accepted to the University of Science and Technology of China but that's all the person on the phone could tell me.

What do I do next? Just wait for the materials to come in the mail? Do I really need to wait? I have to leave the country in nine days and feel it's a waste of money to buy a plane ticket just to come back and pick up the materials. Maybe someone like extrapages could tell me what is in the package the scholarship committee sends you and if it is absolutely necessary to have.

I'm going to be an exchange student in China this year. I just found out today that I got a full scholarship as well. Does anyone know if we have to choose the courses prescribed by CSC or can we choose our own courses of interests?

Pokiemon, im a little confused. did you not apply to the scholarship yourself? its either a degree program or a chinese language program... if you are studying for a degree, of course you'll have to follow the degree requirements of the school. if you're there for chinese, youll take the chinese courses designed for foreigners. the number of elective courses you can take really depend on each school... CSC doesn't prescribe any courses, they just cover the costs of attending the school.

What do I do next? Just wait for the materials to come in the mail? Do I really need to wait? I have to leave the country in nine days and feel it's a waste of money to buy a plane ticket just to come back and pick up the materials. Maybe someone like extrapages could tell me what is in the package the scholarship committee sends you and if it is absolutely necessary to have.

mokushiroku, from what i remember, the package had the acceptance letter from the school, a visa form, a sheet of instructions that tell you that you need to register with the school by a certain date, a letter from the CSC confirming your award, and maybe some information on the insurance they cover. you dont actually need any of them - except for the visa form... but if you already got a student visa on your own (with the form sent to you from the school im assuming you applied to separately), you dont need the one they provide. the only thing you really might need is for someone to tell you the registration date (if you dont already know that) and the student ID number listed in the acceptance letter. (it might be best to have them send it over to you via fax or email so you can print it out and take it with you at registration) If you applied separately, you MUST use the student ID from the CSC package, not the one you received when you applied. they will be different numbers. youre going to have to cancel the one you did on your own (because that student is not covered under the csc scholarship) and use the one CSC gave you - even if they are the same person.

Hi Extrapages! I applied the scholarship through my uni. In my application, I applied as a Chinese language student. My Chinese is pretty good, but not good enough to write essays in Chinese. So I am thinking of doing the Chinese language program for the first semester, if I find it too easy for me, i want to transfer to the general scholar program in semester 2.

For those of you that called the DC embassy and got results, who did you call? I am desperately trying to find out this information and I keep getting voicemails. Feel free to PM me. Thanks :)

I have a question about the JW201 form. Do I have to physically hand in my passport to the Chinese embassy/consulate? Is it possible for me to do this by mail? I'm going to have to schedule a trip to San Francisco if not.

I'm still waiting for the forms to reach me (the Chinese Embassy in Singapore is mailing the forms to me in the US). Should I just go ahead and apply for the visa in the US? How long should I expect to wait to get the visa?

Folks, can I remind you that if you've got questions about visas,etc, that are not specific to the CSC scholarships, you should be posting elsewhere on the forums rather than in this topic - after you search in case the question has already been answered, of course. Might be a bit of a surprise to some, but there's a whole website here, not just a CSC discussion :wink:

Eg yueni, this and this might make things clearer.

Similarly the 'anyone else going to' questions - at this point you probably want to expand your horizons past the CSC group. See here for fall BNU starts, here for BLCU. Fudan I don't think we have a topic for at the moment - you're welcome to start one though.

Congratulations again to those successful.

We got it! We both (me and smh254) got it for BLCU! So friggin' excited!

I am extra elated because at first, the guy didn't see my name. He told me Sean got in, but didn't see me. Since I have an Irish name that I recently learned sounds pretty wacky to many foreigners, I asked him to try one more time with my first name and he found it. Whew!

Thanks to everyone for all the help with this process! I can't wait to meet you all in Beijing and be an even more active member of this forum. Weeeeeeeee!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: