Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Official email admission notice out for DC'ers (and perhaps all American applicants):

Dear Madam or Sir:

I am glad to inform you that you are offered the Chinese Government Scholarship. The Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) will be sent to you on July 31, 2008 by express mail.

Be sure to use the JW201 Form to apply a student Visa to go to China, otherwise, you may have difficulty to enroll in the university that admit you.

Best wishes,

[redacted]

Education Office, Chinese Embassy.

Good to know the materials are on the way. :)

I just got the admission letter in the mail. They're sending me to Anhui normal university first for one year of Chinese studies before I go for my masters at USTC.

I plan to leave on the 23rd of August for Hong Kong where I will apply for my student visa. I'll be going from there to Wuhu, though I don't know if it has an airport or not.

I have a visa question I could really use some quick help/advice with as I'm going to the Embassy in NYC on Monday (fun, fun, fun).

On my visa form from the school, the list my former employer since I was still with the company when I applied. However, now I'm no longer with that firm (I left beginning of June to travel and prepare for the move, spend time with family, study for the GMAT, etc). I have to fill out the separate standard visa app form as well and they ask for employment info there. Should I use my former employer's info or say I'm currently unemployed? I'm worried that if I do the former, they will call to check on my employment status or if I do the latter, they will become suspicious of the discrepancy in the two forms. Help! I don't want to be rejected for my visa.

You're applying for a student visa. Why would this have anything to do with your former employer?

I've applied for a student visa for Taiwan in the past and I know they don't allow you to be currently employed. I'm not so sure about your personal situation, but if you don't know what to do it's likely your best bet to not list any employer. I doubt they will even notice any discrepancy, much less care about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm Kim from the Philippines. I'm interested in applying for the scholarship to learn Mandarin but it seems that I am a bit too late- and I really don't want to wait for another year anymore.

Would it be possible for me to study Mandarin in China for the Spring semester (Feb 2009), then apply in the Philippines for a Master's program (or continue learning Mandarin) for September 2009? From what I understand, it's possible to still get a scholarship if I apply in my country rather than in China. I just want to cut down on my expenses if it's possible.

What are other possible options available for scholarships? Appreciate your help. Thanks!!! :D

I wonder if those who have gone through the application process have any advice for people just starting to think about it now? Like Kim, who posted above, I'm just starting this process now and am wondering about the pros and cons of holding off for an entire year before embarking on studies in China. September '09 seems like a long way off.

I understand that a condition of the scholarship is that you should not currently be living in China. I wonder if it's possible to come and study for a while (at a private school or something like that) and then leave for a period to become eligible for the scholarship. Alternatively, would studying in Taiwan at the time of application affect things one way or the other?

Congratulations to those who were successful in obtaining scholarships, by the way!

Hi hepingrob - so it turns out that the statement in the first posting of this thread is not universally true:

And although I can't find where it's written, I definitely remember reading somewhere or being told that you are NOT eligible if you are ALREADY in China. I have yet to hear of ANYONE already in China who applied and got the scholarship.

Did you use your address in China on the application? Were you already a student at this point? This is very good news, thanks for sharing.

hullo everyone!

sorry ive been mia, but im definitely going to update the first post with all this new information. and im so happy the stipend has been upped.... and guys, they give you the stipend over breaks, too... for example, they gave me the stipend for three months of break all at once when i picked up my last stipend before school was out. they also called me back into the office a couple months ago to pick up another huge wad of cash - that was the 600rmb (or is it 700? i forget) extra that was apparently instated in january... that the school either forgot about or didnt have the cash for, and they gave me 3600 - 600 for the 6 months that had already passed since it was started. it took a lot of us a long time to figure out why we were getting that money.

anyway, i also need to change the info about getting the scholarship while still in china. hepingrob, can you private message me so i can get more information about that?

and im going to try to clean everything up and prep for the next group of kids that apply for next year.

---

SO WHO GOT AND DIDNT GET THE SCHOLARSHIP?

WHAT DID YOU GET? PARTIAL? FULL? 1 OR 2 YEARS?

WHAT SCHOOLS? FIRST CHOICE? SECOND? THIRD?

ANYONE DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN CHINESE LANGUAGE?

WHOS IN CHINA ALREADY?! WHOS IN BEIJING? WHOS WHERE?

LETS DO A ROLL CALL, PEOPLE. HELP ME HELP OTHERS.

I received the scholarship. Everything has been very smooth since I arrived and have not been asked to pay anything.

I received a full scholarship - just as I requested.

I am at BLCU, which was my third choice. My first choice was Tsinghua and my 2nd was Peking. I think I was sent to BLCU because I have no Mandarin training.

I've been here in Beijing since Friday morning. I am living with my girlfriend in the Hua Qing Gardens apartment complex, only a few minutes away from campus. It's a newly renovated place and very nice. We agree that we are probably over-paying for this place, but we absolutely love it and it was the nicest apartment we viewed.

Stipend for 2008 language students at BLCU is 1500 one-time settlement payment + 1700 monthly stipend

I received the scholarship. Everything has been very smooth since I arrived and have not been asked to pay anything.

I received a full scholarship - just as I requested.

I am at BLCU, which was my third choice. My first choice was Tsinghua and my 2nd was Peking. I think I was sent to BLCU because I have no Mandarin training.

I've been here in Beijing since Friday morning. I am living with my girlfriend in the Hua Qing Gardens apartment complex, only a few minutes away from campus. It's a newly renovated place and very nice. We agree that we are probably over-paying for this place, but we absolutely love it and it was the nicest apartment we viewed.

Stipend for 2008 language students at BLCU is 1500 one-time settlement payment + 1700 monthly stipend

Ditto on my boyfriend's post. Though I would add that we both applied to Tsinghua non-scholarship and were admitted, so I think they may limit or not allow scholarship students for beginning language studies.

I got a full scholarship for 4 years.

Xiamen university, my only choice, I applied through the University in my hometown.

Chinese Language for the 1st year, Computer Science MSc for the other 3 years

I'll be in China next Wednesday (10th)

those who have been awarded the scholarship,

dont forget to join the social group for the awesome csc scholarshipeeeeeeees!

we're using it to try to meet up to celebrate.

and since its private, we can share phone numbers/addresses/etc.

---

and mikevwilliams,

4 years full scholarship? damn. thats money, right there.

and youre going to walk out of it speaking chinese AND with a masters degree.

I got it, and pretty much everything they said that would be covered has been covered.

1 year full scholarship.

BLCU was the only school I picked.

Chinese language all the way.

I've been in Beijing since the 25th of August.

I'd like to add that there's a ton of scholarships that are being given out. I estimate that at BLCU alone, that about 75-90% of 4 dorms are scholarship students. At BLCU, the crappiest dorm (#1) is generally for guys though I guess there are some girls there as well. Dorm 9 is also for general scholars. Dorm 7 is a little nicer for masters students on a scholarship, and dorm 8 is for PhD students on the scholarship. The other dorms are run by different dorm offices, and none of the scholarship money can be transferred to those other dorms because BLCU doesn't actually receive any money to house scholarship students. The school basically just forgoes that portion of the money, so they don't refund you any money either. You lose that portion of the money if you transfer to those other non-scholarship dorms, to dorm 17, the conference center or off campus.