Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

What's this one-time settlement stipend about? I got to China last week and haven't received any money.

The Internet connection is super slow here. I download at about 6kb/s. Reminds me of when I had a 56k modem as a kid.

Oh, and

SO WHO GOT AND DIDNT GET THE SCHOLARSHIP?

Got the full scholarship (4 years)

WHAT SCHOOLS? FIRST CHOICE? SECOND? THIRD?

First choice was Tsinghua, but I got my second choice (The University of Science and Technology of China). My third choice was Peking.

ANYONE DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN CHINESE LANGUAGE?

Chinese language for the first year. Probability Theory and Statistics for the next three (Masters degree).

WHOS IN CHINA ALREADY?! WHOS IN BEIJING? WHOS WHERE?

I got to Wuhu last friday. I'll move to Hefei for my masters next year.

Hi!

I would be interested in what do you think about getting a BA scholarship?? I would like to study Chinese language-culture-translation in Beijing. Do you think it is a good idea? Or should I rather study it at a uni at home and get a one year scholarship? Which do you think is better: Beida, Beiwai, BLCU or Qinghua? Can I apply for a BA (or 1 year) scholarship if I´m a senior high school student, I mean, if I´m finishing high school, but I won´t have my high school degree until June?? If I got it right, the full scholarship includes everything: flight, tuition, food, accomodation plus a monthly living allowance (how do you get that one?) ?? Could the teaching language be English or only Chinese? Do I need a HSK then? What to do if I don´t have one, but know enough Chinese and don´t want to do another language study year, just do the BA straight from the beginning??

I may ask more questions, but these are the most important ones. Thanks for the answers in advance! :)

Edited by Jikolp

Jikolp,

Do you think it is a good idea?

it depends. in what country would you get your BA if not in china? the chinese BA really isnt worth much outside of china... and honestly, an overseas BA from a western country is seen as much more valuable in arguably every circle. i only think its a good idea if youre also going to get a BA from a western institution.

Or should I rather study it at a uni at home and get a one year scholarship?

a one year scholarship for... intensive chinese, i assume? i think that's a much better idea.

Which do you think is better: Beida, Beiwai, BLCU or Qinghua?

not the right thread for that question... but im sure if you started one, youll get lots of people who know their stuff that will put in their two cents.

but I won´t have my high school degree until June??

i dont really know about this one... but im sure you can send a partial transcript and proof that you will most likely graduate from high school (maybe a letter from someone in administration?) and then you can send a notarized copy asap? youre going to have to find someone at the chinese embassy or at the csc office that will give you a straight answer for that...

If I got it right, the full scholarship includes everything: flight, tuition, food, accomodation plus a monthly living allowance (how do you get that one?)

it only includes flight if you are from a developing country that has a special partnership with the csc adminstration. no countries in north america or europe are part of that list. tuition is covered, and so is the cheapest international accomodation (usually a small room for two people, shared bathroom for the whole floor), food is NOT covered, and the monthly living allowance is for all scholarship receivers, but its NOT a lot.

Could the teaching language be English or only Chinese?

most likely all in chinese, which is why people who dont speak chinese are given one year of remedial chinese before they start their studies - in which case you dont need to have taken the hsk. you would add that only to prove that you dont need to take chinese classes for a year.

What to do if I don´t have one, but know enough Chinese and don´t want to do another language study year, just do the BA straight from the beginning??

youll need to prove it, and the only way to officially do that is by having a satisfactory HSK score.

Okay, I´ve also thought it through and I think a BA is not worth it.... Still, I think I´d go for a 1-year one. And here are some really support-needing questions, if you don´t mind. :)

Dates, flight: Do you think it is possible to arrange my dates and courses (if I succeed, of course) so that I would not have to go home- I mean, I got a short term scholarship already (not CSC, Hanyu Qiao) and may spend my time in China already in August and if I´ve seen it right, at BLCU the one year course starts on 31st, while the 4-week one ends on 29th. And since I don´t want to pay the flight twice, I would want to stay there then and just change university if needed.... Is it possible to reserve a round trip flight ticket for abt. 10-11-12 months?? Or can I reserve it for a shorter period and then change it? Okay, sorry, it was a really innocent question, I forgot there´s another thread for this which-uni-is-better-thing.... :oops:

Food: Food´s not included? Oh, and how much does canteen food cost, approximately? How did you manage with food when you were there? I know I can cook, but I´m quite clumsy and it´s a little bit time-consuming, and food in China does not cost that much, right? Generally, do you have a fridge in your room?

Unis and application: By the way, I can pick three universities, right? And if none of them accepts me they can pick me another one (because other cities are okay, but I wouldn´t really want to end up in Kunming or similar)?? On the CSC homepage they say something about contacting my chosen universities: should I contact them? Before the application? And concerning what: oh, please accept me? Or how does this work? Also, can I boost my possibility to become one of the Chosen Ones if I have some publications, achievements related to Chinese? Does it seem suspicious if you speak several foreign languages (here: 10) and you include them on the application form? Is registration long and difficult, usually? What should I especially pay attention to?

Accomodation and financial matters: I know they probably won´t send me to the 5 star rooms, but it´s possible to upgrade to a better room at any uni, isn´t it (if I pay, of course, but a separate bathroom is well worth it to me) ? After arrival, there are several things to pay etc. beside those that are covered with the scholarship, approximately what sum should I imagine in this case? And with a normal, not full-extra daily life, around what sum does a monthly living cost? Oh, and is it advisable to have a Chinese bank account and a Chinese credit card? Hard to get one?

Uni life: Is it worth taking extracullicular classes? I´m interested in Calligraphy. You´re to pay those yourself, I guess. When are the school holidays? Is it possible to go and visit other cities in your free time (weekends, holidays)?

Thank you very much for your patience. You know, I´ve been to China only once and I know very little about these scholarships but would really want to go and you guys know so much about it already, so I really hope you don´t mind I´m asking so much.... :oops::)

Have a nice day! :mrgreen:

jiklop,

please, please, please read the first post. please.

READ THE FIRST POST.

Dates, flight: Do you think it is possible to arrange my dates and courses (if I succeed, of course) so that I would not have to go home- I mean, I got a short term scholarship already (not CSC, Hanyu Qiao) and may spend my time in China already in August and if I´ve seen it right, at BLCU the one year course starts on 31st, while the 4-week one ends on 29th. And since I don´t want to pay the flight twice, I would want to stay there then and just change university if needed.... Is it possible to reserve a round trip flight ticket for abt. 10-11-12 months?? Or can I reserve it for a shorter period and then change it? Okay, sorry, it was a really innocent question, I forgot there´s another thread for this which-uni-is-better-thing....

1. you have no guarantee of getting the scholarship for blcu, even if its your first choice. i think that its really dangerous to plan around something that isnt for sure. however, most programs start around the same time, so you should be ok. what im worried about is how long your visa for the other scholarship will be valid. and how the timing of staying in china legally will work. i personally think it might get really tricky, but it also may be really easy. i dont know.

2. this isnt the place to ask about tickets... sorry.

Food: Food´s not included? Oh, and how much does canteen food cost, approximately? How did you manage with food when you were there? I know I can cook, but I´m quite clumsy and it´s a little bit time-consuming, and food in China does not cost that much, right? Generally, do you have a fridge in your room?

1. food is not included but its super cheap, whether you eat at the canteen, buy food to cook yourself, or eat out. its really not an issue. you should know this if youve already been to china.

2. if you stay in the dorms, youll get a shared kitchen that you use with many other people - although theyre usually empty. there is definitely a fridge there. having a fridge in your room varies from school to school.

Unis and application: By the way, I can pick three universities, right? And if none of them accepts me they can pick me another one (because other cities are okay, but I wouldn´t really want to end up in Kunming or similar)?? On the CSC homepage they say something about contacting my chosen universities: should I contact them? Before the application? And concerning what: oh, please accept me? Or how does this work? Also, can I boost my possibility to become one of the Chosen Ones if I have some publications, achievements related to Chinese? Does it seem suspicious if you speak several foreign languages (here: 10) and you include them on the application form? Is registration long and difficult, usually? What should I especially pay attention to?

1. you get to choose three, one of which the csc will choose for you if you get the scholarship. dont worry about not getting one of the three. you have to worry about getting the scholarship.

2. read the first post.

3. each school has its own application process. however, most schools just require you to apply and confirm that you will be going to china before classes start. language courses dont reject people unless they have specific academic requirements that need to be met (which is rare).

4. add whatever you think youll help to the application.

5. speaking other languages shouldnt make a difference. although you might want to mention that in the application to show that you have potential in learning quickly, that you have a passion for languages and communication, etc. etc.

6. read the first post.

Accomodation and financial matters: I know they probably won´t send me to the 5 star rooms, but it´s possible to upgrade to a better room at any uni, isn´t it (if I pay, of course, but a separate bathroom is well worth it to me) ? After arrival, there are several things to pay etc. beside those that are covered with the scholarship, approximately what sum should I imagine in this case? And with a normal, not full-extra daily life, around what sum does a monthly living cost? Oh, and is it advisable to have a Chinese bank account and a Chinese credit card? Hard to get one?

1. read the first post.

2. read the first post.

3. a "normal, not full-extra daily life" is different for everyone, and everyones situation is different. and most lives dont go according to plan. you bring what you can and live within your means.

4. having a chinese bank account is pretty convenient (so you dont have to pay international fees and the such). and opening one is very easy. just go to the bank of your choice with your passport.

5. from what i understand, its close to impossible for non-citizens to get a credit card. but i could be wrong. search the forums.

Uni life: Is it worth taking extracullicular classes? I´m interested in Calligraphy. You´re to pay those yourself, I guess. When are the school holidays? Is it possible to go and visit other cities in your free time (weekends, holidays)?

1. thats different for every school.

2. traveling during holidays is not only possible, but usually expected. but weekends are a little tough with the studying and homework.

3. youll run out of money if you think you can do that on the scholarship stipend.

READ THE FIRST POST.

and message one of the admins to see if they can change your name for you. my favorites are roddy and imron. they can fix anything and everything in this chinese-forums world.

• 2 weeks later...

mengaimei, join the social group? you can do that here:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/group.php?groupid=2

---

for those who have been awarded the scholarship, but have not introduced yourself to the thread, please do so first. i have been limiting it to those who have been contributing to the thread. only because we're putting up our personal information up in it - names, phone numbers, addresses, etc. let us get to know you before we let you know where we live. =]

Hey everybody,

I'm a student from Slovakia (EU) who want's to take a year off to study Mandarin, by applying for the EU Windows CSC scholarship...

Maybe someone will be able to answer some of my questions...

- Am I right to assume the transcript that CSC wants should be the most up to date, that is, not only for the completed level of studies? (I'll be halfway through my masters at the moment of applying)

- What weight do your grades have on getting the scholarship? Is anyone who got the scholarship able to say / guess?

- I'm leaving for the spring semester for an ERASMUS exchange to Sweden, so I won't be at my 'home address'. Does CSC contact you with anything between the application and the results?

- Is there any way of knowing the result of the application before the official deadline, the end of July? What were your plans in case you were rejected, should I also apply for a normal (paid) study which I would cancel if I got the scholarship?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out...

xroman,

1. yes, the most up to date transcript is what they want.

2. from my understanding, the grades arent as important as your personal statement and the recommendations. but what the hell do we know?

3. the only thing they send will be the results. so you can keep your real home address as long as someone you trust will still be around to keep it for you.

4. theres no way to find out earlier. registering on your own and canceling if you do get the scholarship would be the best thing to do - especially because you dont have to pay until you get there (except for the application fees/postage) in which case, you should register with the school early so you can send in the acceptance letter with the scholarship application.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I've been planning to apply next year, I was thinking of getting into a Bachelor's degree (Traditional Chinese Medicine perhaps). So, I was thinking that maybe they won't let me in, haha. Well, it's medicine and I'm not really someone who's best in class but I do want to learn chinese medicine very much. I wanna ask, can we avail the scholarship twice? I'm thinking of applying for the chinese language first, then try my luck for the bachelor's degree next. Is it possible? Suggestions please... :)

weirdo,

i wish i knew this answer for myself. i actually have no idea, but theres no written or formal statement that says we cant do that.

i suggest that you apply for the whole degree, because you still get one or two years of chinese BEFORE you start the medicine classes.

i suggest that you apply for the whole degree, because you still get one or two years of chinese BEFORE you start the medicine classes.

I'm actually worried about not getting in,in the first place. That would mean, no language learning and no chance for getting a better degree! Honestly my credentials aren't outstanding. And since no one knows what their basis are, then, I'm clueless as ever. Then again, I'll just try my luck. I have to find people to write me a recommendation first. I finished my degree last march and I'm nowhere close to my professors. I was thinking of making my old principal way back in high school write me one, haha. Is it even ok? Oh well, I really do hope I can get in. By the way, the people from the chinese embassy here doesn't accept printed application forms and doesn't give out the forms easily. Ugh, tough. Anyway, jia you! and Thanks :)

Edited by weirdo

Hello All - Great Thread, very helpful. I do have a few questions....

A little about my situation: I studied Chinese two years at an American College and am now teaching English in Hangzhou, China. I am looking into learning Chinese full time at a Chinese university.

1) Can I apply to the CSC? If so, what limitations am I facing? Will I have to liasize with my home in the US to ensure all the documents find the right homes?

2) Can I really choose any university? (Tsinghua has an affiliate agreement with Berkely and charges almost 20k for a year - can the CSC cover this language program?)

3) When should I begin the application process? (2009-2010 academic year)

4) Should I use a combination of current employer (Tourism College of Zhejiang) and my US college for my letters of rec?

THANKS in advance!!!

Hi,

I just had one question regarding the CSC scholarship. Am I eligible to recieve it if I started at BNU in the spring semester( February '10) and did two semesters from there? Or would I have to go through a normal academic year (start in Winter semester) to be eligible?

Thanks in advance.

Rg7548,

for the love of this forum and this thread, please read the first post.

Can I apply to the CSC?
sure, why not.
If so, what limitations am I facing?
dunno. none from what i can see.
Will I have to liasize with my home in the US to ensure all the documents find the right homes?
you dont HAVE to but that would be best. youd get the fastest results that way (assuming that you are in close contact with whoever will be handling the mail from the states) because you can get around all the international postage.
Can I really choose any university?
they have a list on the csc site. but its a pretty big list.
(Tsinghua has an affiliate agreement with Berkely and charges almost 20k for a year - can the CSC cover this language program?)
it doesnt pay for programs like PIB or IUP. it pays for the chinese classes at the universities - which are the same exact classes that the PIB or IUP kids take (minus whatever program specific aspects they might have like private tutors, trips, etc.)
When should I begin the application process? (2009-2010 academic year)
the deadline is the same every year. decide accordingly after taking into consideration how long it would take you to get all your materials in order.
Should I use a combination of current employer (Tourism College of Zhejiang) and my US college for my letters of rec?
yesyeyses! it would be best to use both. maybe use the zhejiang folk to recommend your tremendous ability and potential or seemingly natural inclination to pick up chinese? i dont know.

JohnS,

I just had one question regarding the CSC scholarship. Am I eligible to recieve it if I started at BNU in the spring semester( February '10) and did two semesters from there? Or would I have to go through a normal academic year (start in Winter semester) to be eligible?

you MIGHT be able to just keep going with the scholarship, regardless of which semester youre on. ive heard of other scholarship students from certain european countries just extending their scholarships (but now that i think about it, they all start in the winter because the scholarship covers them until spring). i dont know the definite answer to this - you might want to actually try calling the csc office. sorry... =[

but if this is two years in the future. why not just apply for it next year? even if it means having to start in the winter of '10 and paying for the first semester yourself if you must? just a thought?

Hi!

I've made up my mind in applying to a university in China for this coming 2009 Spring semester. Can I ask extrapages to possibly be my guarantor? I'll be applying at Shanghai Jiaotong University. :D

Also, I have plans of applying for the scholarship for the next school year (since I was too late to apply for this year). Does anyone have a contact at CSC who is administrating scholarships from the Philippines and from other countries as well? Is it OK if I can get contact details so I may send some of my inquiries regarding the scholarship?

Hope anyone can assist.

Thanks!!!