Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

On April 7, I emailed Mr. Liu asking him to confirm whether his office had receiced my EMS-sent application. I asked specifically if it had been received by his office. The reply was:

"No worry for EMS. Will update you at the earliest convenience for the next steps."

After hearing about the embassy address change (and since I didn't get a simple "yes, we received your application, Mr. --------), I emailed Mr. Liu again, telling him that I heard the address had changed recently and asking again if their office had my application form. The reply was:

"Will update accordingly for sure."

Ok, is it just me, or is this an avoidance of the question? Maybe I'm missing something in the translation. Any thoughts? There's nothing else that can be done, from my end I guess. Worst case scenario: my D.C. application doesn't reach China and I fall back on the direct application through Xiamen.

-Menyawga

GAH. I sent my application this afternoon to the address at Connecticut Avenue. Its should be there by noon tomorrow, so we will see. The woman at the post office said that she can't imagine they don't have mail forwarding. Since I sent it express mail, it will have to be signed for, so I'll be able to see who signed for it, I think. I'll also try emailing tomorrow to see if they got it...... I will be so upset if it doesn't get there and the whole application process was for naught.

Also, perhaps I should email Mr. Liu in Chinese? My Chinese isn't phenomenal, but it would get the point across and maybe I'd get a clearer answer.

Jason G,

EFFING AWESOME! Thanks for posting that! Is there anything you need from this end? Do you have a guarantor?

You're quite welcome. I'm good on this end, but thank you.

Speaking of this end, I've been in Beijing for almost a year already, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to send them my way (maybe in PMs as not to take this thread really off topic).

I'm sure the applications already sent to the old address have been forwarded. And for those who have been waiting, you still have time to send it before the deadline.

I'm sort of concerned about this. After getting the email from Mr. Liu, I called home to give them an updated address. Unfortunately, it had already been sent out (again) to the old address.

For some reason, my mother sent it out UPS. The first time it was rejected apparently because Mr Liu wasn't at that address. So the UPS guy had the bright idea of taking his name off the envelope for the second go around, which my mother agreed to. I'm trying really hard to get a name added or the address changed before delivery, but I'm not sure it's going to work.

If it just arrives at the embassy with no name or anything, I'm not sure it will ever get to Mr Liu. =/ Here's hoping I guess.

Hello all,

I just received an email from Mr. Liu in Washington DC and not only does he confirm the International Place address, but the deadline has also been extended until May 10th on account of a state delegation, still, he recommends that all applicants send in their materials ASAP.

if anyone has any questions, feel free to send them my way (maybe in PMs as not to take this thread really off topic).

Actually now that applications are being sent in and you can also take a rest before getting the results back, can I invite everyone to take a look at the rest of Chinese-forums.com. CSC applicants tend, naturally enough, to stick to this particular topic, but take a look at the forums listing, the home page or the list of tags and you'll find a wealth of information on living in China, studying Chinese, books, movies, and a lot more. Plus you can start new topics to ask about anything you can't find.

Chinese-forums.com. It's not just for free money and getting extrapages to be your guarantor :wink:

I agree that Chinese-forums is great and has a wealth of information!

I also want to share that I mailed my application using FedEx to the old 2300 Connecticut Ave. address in DC and the FedEx people took it over to 3505 International Place NW, where it was delivered and signed for. I'm still waiting for confirmation that Mr. Liu received it, but it is good to know that mail sent to the old address is being forwarded and delivered to the new embassy location.

Good luck.

Thanks Jacki and Jason G for the contact info!

I know this sounds sort of horrible, but I keep thinking our chances are pretty good since applying for the scholarship is essentially impossible without this forum. :D

Haha, isn't that the truth!!

I also want to confirm that even though I sent my application to 2300 Connecticut Avenue, it was signed for today by someone named Zhang at 3505 International Place. And since I had it addressed to Liu Jiangyi, I'm going to assume it ended up in the right place!

I'm contemplating still emailing him to see if he received it, but I don't want to inundate this poor guy with emails.

menyawga,

I got the EXACT same email from Mr. Liu "will update you accordingly for sure" I to wrote back clarifying my question, but no response. I have no idea if I should redo the application and send it again or if that is crazy. What are others going to do if their application is received at the old address?

It seems that the embassy does indeed have mail forwarding, so I wouldn't worry. I addressed mine to 2300 Connecticut Avenue, but it was signed for at 3505 International Place, so the post office definitely knows the Embassy has moved. So, as long as your envelope indicated that it was going to the Chinese Embassy, you should be fine!!

I still might shoot him an email in Chinese so as to have a better chance of clearer meaning, but I hate to be paranoid - I addressed my application to Mr. Liu Jiangyi at the embassy, and it went to the embassy - so I don't think there's any reason to think it didn't get there.

So, for anyone who sent to Connecticut Avenue - don't fear, it definitely seems that mail forwarding is in place.

small update (maybe a bit late) as for the correct address.

Education Office of Chinese Embassy

2300 Connecticut Ave. NW

Washington DC, 20008

is the old address. recently (early 2009) the office moved to a different building, the new and correct address is

Education Office of Chinese Embassy

3505 International Place, NW

Washington DC, 20008

so all application should be sent there. And Currently Mr. Zhang Jingan, Tel: 202-2431159

is in charge of collecting the student applications. They might be passed on to someone else later, however, they all go through Mr. Zhang first.

Now if only I had an idea as to when we would all hear back as to the results. Are they emailed? snail-mailed? later

Where are you applying from?

Shanghai, China

Are you currently in China?

Yes

What did your local state embassy say?

Don't have one! small state. I contacted the Washington embassy directly.

Where and how did you get your papers notarized?

Working on that now - had my school notarize my transcripts, family notarized and fedex-ed my Diploma (I only asked for one copy, so hope the copy set doesn't need to be notarized) - I'm having an incredibly hard time doing notarizations here for my medical exam - see my questions below.

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand?

No, I read the posts.

Where did you get your Physical Exam done?

At the International Travel Center here in Shanghai.

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about?

Well, so far it seems to be much more difficult to apply from China than I imagine it would be from the States! Also, I received an email from the contact in Washington saying that the deadline for this year has been extended to May 10, which is why I'm still working on the app.

Any hiccups you had to work through?

I spent the whole first two weeks of trying to apply calling embassies, government offices, school offices, as it seems everyone here has. It was especially tiring because of the time difference, I ended up staying up til 2 or 3 in the morning making calls before I discovered this website.

Also, getting a medical exam here in China means you have to wait 4-5 days before getting the results, and FedEx takes at least 3 days for anything to be mailed. (nothing gets done or delivered on weekends or holidays, either).

My Issues right now are:

1) getting my medical exams notarized - I went to the hospital in person to ask them to make notarized copies, and they said they couldn't do that (after reading previous posts of people who did this exam in China, I didn't think it would be an issue!). Also, the Chinese medical form is two parts - there is a thick booklet with all the results of each medical test, and then there is a one-page document that is sealed, stamped, and signed saying that the foreigner has passed all the requirements to get a visa in China. They were willing to give me a second original of the 1-pg document for a fee, but insisted that the booklet was useless and wouldn't even make me a photocopy!

So I am left with a few questions about this -

1: do I need both the document and the booklet?

2: If I have an original of the first document, can I just send a photocopy of the booklet?

3:Do I need notarized copies of either/both for the COPY set of documents?

2) When I discovered the website, I immediately called a family member to send me a notarized copy of my Diploma - but, not having read the posts, I only asked them for ONE. Is it all right to send in a photocopy of the notarized copy for the COPY set?

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about what exactly is needed for the Copy set.

3) I am currently working, and have no idea what is required for the 'work documents'. I have a recommendation letter from my company, but I talked to a friend of mine who went to Chinese law school, and he said that I need a stamped note from them stating that I work here, my position, and when my contract expires. Does anybody know what 'work documents' means? i couldn't find it on the forums.

It's going to be tight if I need to get this document. I need to send everything by Tuesday if not Monday! I also thought of sending a copy of my work contract - is that what they want?

I'm really getting tight on time, any advice would be very much appreciated, and I'll be sure to share more info on applying from China later.

Hi all!

I am sorry if my question would be somehow incorrect or strange, but I 'm really trying to understand the process of applying to this scholarship, though I wasn't much succesfull yet :roll:

I've read the first page of this thread, and it says:

"Yes, that is what I said - Individual applicants must apply to the Chinese embassy of the country of their CITIZENSHIP, regardless of their current locations".

But I am already in China now, and I've read on the university's website (http://www.icis.cn/en_list.asp?classid=36) where I want to study:

"The applicants must fill in and provide the following materials truly and correctly (in duplicate).

1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (download from www.csc.edu.cn), one original and one photocopy, in Chinese or in English. "

And also: "The above materials should reach the four universities by June 15th 2008. Application materials will not be returned regardless of the result of application."

So does that practically mean that I should download the Application form from http://en.csc.edu.cn/ and send it DIRECTLY to this particular UNIVERSITY along with other paperwork? And then THEY will apply my application to the government and then decide whether I will get the scholarship or not?

I will be very grateful for any information!