Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

1. Lanzhou University

2. XXX

3. XXX

I am applying through the University Postgraduate Study Program which is applying directly to the school. I applied for an English taught program, but I also checked the mark which says "Need Chinese Language Course".

My schools:

1. Nankai University (Tianjin)

2. Ocean University (Qingdao)

3. Heilongjiang University (Harbin)

Looks like I might be seeing a couple of you at Nankai, haha. It's a great school, I really like it there :mrgreen:

cool :)

I've read that you have already been there ;) so, if you don't mind:

- how are the dormitories there? how is the internet-access managed? and how large/small are the classes? what did you love/hate there? any advice (what to bring/not to bring there)?

sorry, but I'm sooooo curious :clap

The dorms are pretty good! There are three dormitories for foreign students: Yi Yuan 2, Yi Yuan 4, and Aida. I think Aida is exclusively for Japanese students (it's super nice, though!) I lived in Yi Yuan 4, which is for people not on scholarships (and therefore more expensive) and is also mostly Japanese and Korean students. The rooms there are more like a hotel than a dorm, really - some of the rooms on the top floor have little balconies, and these rooms have mini-fridges. Yi Yuan 2 is for scholarship students, and is a much more eclectic mix of nationalities. The rooms are small but not horribly cramped, there is actually more storage space - a bunch of shelves, and every room has its own bathroom. Yi Yuan 2 also has easy roof access and people have parties up there a lot.

Internet can be done two ways: You can talk to the people at the front desk and set up a pay-per-bandwidth usage thing, which is super annoying unless you are only going to be occasionally checking email or something. Otherwise you can track down the DSL people (best bet is to get the people at the International Student office to call for you, or hang out by their office in the main building on campus until someone shows up) and that is a monthly fee that I can't remember for sure but it wasn't horribly expensive. 80 kuai maybe? It was fast and reliable.

There's a placement test for classes, and then every day you have your "da ban" (big class) and "xiao ban" (small class) - da ban has about 25-30 people, and xiao ban around 10. Da ban is a lot of grammar drills and lectures (always all in Chinese, even in the most basic class) and xiaoban is taught by seniors in the Teaching Chinese to Foreigners department and is more one-on-one with listening comprehension, acting out skits, group work, etc. You alternate daily having either morning classes or afternoon classes, about 4 hours a day.

I really loved Nankai and Tianjin. I unfortunately have to go at the moment, but I will finish answering your questions later today!

I have pretty much read all the posts of this tread, and I havent seen what I just barely updated in THIS POST. I hope its helpful to someone just like it was for me.

PS. I got the e-mail I talked about, Im one of the 35 chosen from mexico... but we where told (by some guy from the Chinese Embassy in Mexico) that there where just 25 scholarships... I still might not get it >.

I'm preparing to apply for the CSC scholarship next year, and this thread is amazing.

Just one big question for people who are there or have been there: How much money should I try and bring for a year's study?

I'm currently working in Korea and want to put enough aside to be able to do this comfortably.

For the record, I'm considering Qingdao, Tianjin, and Dalian as cities where I'd be studying. Definitely not looking to go to Beijing or Shanghai. Spent enough time in Seoul to want something different than an ultra-huge city.

Thanks for any advice!

Well I would mark Tianjin off if your not looking for big city, it has like 11 million there and the traffic to go with it. At the rate of building I will be similar to BJ pretty soon, but much more laid back. Currently has 1 subway line with around 4 others being worked on right now and soon to open.

From what I understand and can be corrected on is that after the Olympics Tianjin and the other 2nd tier cities would get all the funds for development and this is being taken away from area's such as Shenzhen, Shanghai, Beijing. When I check this past year about starting a company they said the same thing, Tax advantages for the three areas were being phased out but were being made available in area such as Zhuhai, Tianjin, chongqing. etc to help build these areas. Zhuhai is across from Macau and China wants it to be more like Shenzhen. They currently have a branch of the Beijing University extension there, so it seems an up an coming area in the future (currently only 1 million people though)

For the other readers I hear from past experiences that Nankai is not as good as Tianjin normal university for language. Tianjin according to the students that have attended both that I spoke with said the teachers at TJN were nicer and focused more on helping the students. I have personally been to the dorms and to me it seemed the Nankai is a bit nicer. As far as surroundings they are about the same since both school are actually side by side and it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins.

If you want a smaller and well centered location in TJ then select the TJ medical University, it's about 3 blocks away from TJN and Nankai and is a little more central. It will get you away from the massive thongs of students and closer to downtown. There are many students from India who go there so your classes will probably be filled with more english speakers than Koreans and Japanese. Personally while I love the Koreans and Japanese it can be a pain in class sometimes. They for the most part already know characters and can't pronounce Chinese very well at all. If your halfway good at phonetics the teachers will point to you on how to pronounce things. Which means they won't spend as much time correcting how you say things, but you will be graded according to how they do characters which means your at the back of the class.

If your with english speakers for a year then the teacher can focus on correcting the common mistakes we make (mainly with tone) and not spending half the time with (ru) sound and (L) sound.

anyway my 1 one cent worth (Was two cent prior to 10/2008).

I was just informed by a source that LiGong University in Tianjin just extended it's Scholarship program to July. I believe they do the CSC and their own scholarship program. Anyway for those who were late for this Year it might be worth the try.

P.s. to my friend I hope you applied already :) because I just gave away your edge. :conf Ok I waited a full 2 days before I gave it away! :wink:

benhadad,

Thanks for your insights but my question was more of a "How can I afford this" rather than a "Which city/university is best" one.

Anyone have a guesstimate of how much they've spent or would need to spend to live in a 2nd-tier Chinese city for a year of study?

Another question, in the past how have people been alerted? I'm not sure from reading this thread if it's standardized... Email, phone call, letter to permanent or current address? My current address is about to change soon so I'm wondering what to do about that...

Also, if one gets this scholarship is it necessary to apply for a student visa in the home country, or can one come in on a tourist visa and then change over by presenting the letter of invite at the PSB?

@Ariane

I think that you'll only get 50% of the money for July. But then again some of my friends who are here for one year told me something about being able to get it all if you tell them that you'll travel or something. I'll ask for more details tomorrow and let you know.

My name is Sri Murni from Indonesia.

I'm also apply for CSC scholarship this year..

thx for this forum, I get a lot of information,,but unfortunately i found this forum last week!!:roll:

so i completed my application by my own information,,,

Hope the best for us:D

@Ariane again

Sorry, but I have misled you, my information was wrong. Everyone who is here for one year will only get 50% of the July scholarship, no exceptions. They justify it with the fact that you're expected to leave by mid-July anyway, so you won't need the extra money "to survive".

Hi sakura_girl85,

Welcome to the forum. May I know how did you apply? Was it through the Chinese embassy?

There are quite a number of applicants this year in this forum coming from ASEAN countries as well. Good luck to us.

that was a nice list for the EU window, any news about the US front? sounds like in general July is the time to hear, but 5 months of waiting is a bit long for a simple yes or no....

Any news would be appreciated.

While we are waiting, why dont we post the three schools we choose. Mine:

Chengdu university, kunming university, shanghai university

note i forgot the actual names of the school i only remember the cities they were in

sakura_girl85,

You might want to share your 3 chosen schools. Peace.