Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

I'm a US citizen and I'm applying to for th CSC scholarship as language student....and I seem to be running into problems in finding a "guarantor "as well. Can this be an organization or an individual?

please read through the posts. i know its a lot, and some of it wont be applicable for your specific situation, but if you're really serious about applying for this scholarship, youd do the research and sift through the information already available. if you read this thread, youd know already that you can use both an organization and an individual - and that ive offered to be guarantors for a few people - and you wouldnt have asked this question, and you couldve saved yourself from looking like a totally confused, clueless kid.

A few other questions that are popping up:

- Just wanted to confirm: if I'm applying as a language student, I only need to specify the name or organization that is recommending me for the scholarship? No additional attachments? What "organizations" does the Chinese government deem worthy of giving such recommendations?

no additional attachments are necessary... but i (and a few others in this thread who applied) had the recommending organization write an official letter of support - basically a letter with their letterhead, formal heading, signature from the head honcho - saying that they highly recommend me/us, they think im/we're fully capable of going to china and learning chinese, and that they like me/us - that the chinese government would be doing the right thing by giving me/us the CSC schlarship.

organizations that the chinese government would deem worthy would be schools/institutes of education and non-political and non-religious organizations.

- Is My OfficeMax Printer Paper 'Official' Enough?

As far as formal submission goes, just wanted to confirm that the application that I print off my computer, which will be on "normal paper" will be sufficient? (i've read a few people running into problems because they didn't submit it on the official application paper? who knows.)

and you've read this where, exactly?

no, you actually need this very specific paper NASA-approved, russian-inspected, kyrgystan-made, australia-processed, south african tree-grown, argentina-packed specially created for the CSC application paper that smells like apple sauce and is a light shade of crayola forest green.

regular printer paper is fine.

- Describe your "study plan."

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be your standard "short essay" describing why i'm such a "great student", and my goals/intentions of study-- or is this supposed to be just simply a "cut and dry" factual plan of what I plan to achieve and when i plan to achieve it? All the CSC websites don't seem to make a big deal out this at all---"200 words or less", but then on the application they suggest attaching an entire separate page? I'm still toying with how to write this...I mean I don't want to write like 600 words and piss them off, but i don't want to do the minimum either and lose the scholarship entirely. Any advice from anyone who won the scholarship? How simplistic is this section supposed to be...especially from language student perspective??

you write your 200 words or less on a separate sheet of paper - not on the application itself. and this 200 words or less should be kept at 200 words or less because that's what they asked for. although i HIGHLY recommend THOROUGHLY reading the application directions because it says NO LESS THAN 200 words, not 200 words or less.

i remember i wrote a freaking book basically on why and how im so awesome, why all the goals/intentions of study i have are so awesome, and why the chinese government would be making a great investment in me if they gave me the scholarship.

- Additional Supporting Attachments...Employment?

In regards to additional documentation needed, I am also curious as to if there are additional supporting documents needed for this? I just want to make sure to get all documents that require notarization, completed by the deadline.

just follow the directions: diploma, transcript, the medical form and whatever else they ask for notarized. BUT they ask for the original and a copy of the entire application

i think my original had notarized copies of whatever they asked - and then i got a notarized copy of THE WHOLE APPLICATION and all supporting documents as the second copy to send.

- Admissions Letter Attachment.

In terms of "attaching an admissions letter," I was told that this is not mandatory, (seeing as the school I pick is entirely dependent on the scholarship). I am told that I can list my top three choices on the scholarship application without additional admission letters...and things are just supposed to "carry on" from there? I'll be applying for a full scholarship--and was wondering if i'll have a better chance if I apply beforehand? (on the other end, I wasn't sure if my chances would lessen if the three I happened to specify already had their scholarship quotas filled or something...)

i really dont want to answer this one... because i answered every question in different posts throughout this thread. but ill do it anyway. you only attach an admissions letter if you already applied beforehand. i highly recommend that you DO NOT apply yourself because it will cause a lot of confusion - you will end up having registered twice at the school (one by yourself, another by the csc) and youll have to straighten it all out by proving that they are both you and that you want to nullify the one YOU did - because only the one that the csc created can be used if you want to receive the scholarship.

and as stated before, things just "carry on" from there. the csc people will register for you and take care of EVERYTHING.

honestly, the chances of anything and everything are totally unknown to us... but all i know from personal experience is that if you apply on your own, youre going to have to undo it all.

- Medical Exam.

As far as the physical exam, can't this be done after the application is submitted, I find out if I received the scholarship, and am accepted to the university? Also, in terms of the medical exam itself, can I just take the official form to my family doctor and get an exam there? Or must this be done by a Chinese authority or a special "approved" doctor in a specific office?

READ THE POSTS PLEASE. you MUST complete the physical exam when you apply - because if you apply and get the scholarship, the csc will also take care of your visa application - which requires the physical exam. if you dont send it, you could get the scholarship and then be disqualified because you didnt send all the information they required you to send and they couldnt get your visa for you. in which case, theyll just dump your application.

i went to an "approved" clinic in korea (because thats where i was at the time i applied)... but i dont know if there are "approved" clinics in the states. almost everyone i know that applied (including the ones that got the scholarship) just went to their family doctor.

- Full or Partial.

Assuming I don't get the full scholarship...am I automatically eligible for the partial?

i dont know. i wondered this, too.. but no one had an answer.

just apply for the full and hope you get it.

CAN WE GET A MODERATOR IN HERE PLEASE?

we want to

1. change the name of this thread as bottled poetry suggested

2. get a sticky note for the top of this thread with basic information and links for the csc scholarship because IM SICK OF ANSWERING THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

3. move this thread out of "studying chinese in beijing" because it can apply to people studying anywhere in china.

please come soon.

Extrapages, I appreciate the quick response, you're amazing.

Just to clarify: I agree with you entirely that "there is no point of actually filling out the application before finding out where the hell you're going to send it." I have literally zero intention of sending scholarship applications to any organization that is maybe an authority. After jumping hoops for the past 4 days, having consulates not answer the phone, having emails answered from not JUST one consulate, but three (o- and including the american embassy in china)...I've opted to try my luck with the mighty chinese-forum instead. So, fear not, I have googling skills....So, when I say "useless"--perhaps i should have said "frustrated by red tape," because I am in no way disputing that "Chinese diplomatic missions serve international political importance". They are very dependable safe-houses. Right you are.

Good suggestion in regards to the quotas--I was thinking along the same lines and tried pursuing the Chicago consulate much more intensely solely for that reason. Unfortunately, however, they don't like answering their phone during working hours (I even made sure to explicitly call an hour after they opened, avoided calling during the mid day break inserted into their official working hours, and also an hour before they close). I've emailed them too. Nothing. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some relevant authority to respond soon though, because I need that original form (i.e. “must submit one original scholarship application form and one photocopy. Please contact the local Chinese embassy or consulate for the Application Form.”)

As far as applying goes, I'm aware that I have three options: 1) diplomatic missions in China, 2) Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries, 3) apply to these institutions of high education directly...So I suppose my concern lies with whether or not the relevant authorities are even aware of the procedure they are supposed to take. Before I send off the app--I sort of want some sort of semi-confirmation that the "authority" is going to execute. It's just not worth sending it to an incompetent authority, who doesn't even know they actually are THE authority. Trying to avoid red tape if I can, I suppose.

As far as attaching the admissions letter--I've seen it done both ways...but yet again, I want to do it the way that least jeopardizes my chances of getting the scholarship. Some people say wait to contact the university altogether---then some sites say you have a way better chance if you attach the letter (but seeing as things are notoriously slow--i dont want to "wait" for the admissions letter to attach, only to find out that by the time my app reached it's destination the deadline had passed...so basically, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to penalized substantially for NOT attaching a letter from the University.) Needless to say, I opted to write the university and inquired as to the preferred procedure...so, to be continued.

Extrapages, I appreciate the quick response, you're amazing.

not really. im just procrastinating and want to help out.

After jumping hoops for the past 4 days, having consulates not answer the phone, having emails answered from not JUST one consulate, but three (o- and including the american embassy in china)

ah! that wouldve been nice to know before i went on the rant about you having to do your fair share of dirty work. read through the posts - there is information i want to send you. but only if you specifically ask for it. because it wouldnt be fair for the others if i just GAVE it to you.

I've emailed them too. Nothing. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some relevant authority to respond soon though, because I need that original form (i.e. “must submit one original scholarship application form and one photocopy. Please contact the local Chinese embassy or consulate for the Application Form.”)

the original form is just a print out of the application - although when i went to the site while i was working on your first post, i had trouble downloading it?

As far as applying goes, I'm aware that I have three options: 1) diplomatic missions in China, 2) Chinese diplomatic missions in their home countries, 3) apply to these institutions of high education directly...So I suppose my concern lies with whether or not the relevant authorities are even aware of the procedure they are supposed to take. Before I send off the app--I sort of want some sort of semi-confirmation that the "authority" is going to execute. It's just not worth sending it to an incompetent authority, who doesn't even know they actually are THE authority. Trying to avoid red tape if I can, I suppose.

yes. this seems to be the situation with everyone. but like i said, keep trying - and maybe youll get a break. although im thinking this information i want to give you will help you out.

so basically, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to penalized substantially for NOT attaching a letter from the University.

nope. most people who received it did NOT have a letter from the university of their choice.

Needless to say, I opted to write the university and inquired as to the preferred procedure...so, to be continued.

yes, keep us updated!

Ahh thank you, I just read the second response. Just for the record, it’s not that I didn’t read the entire thread...but it’s that I’ve literally read so many different conflicting threads that I asked the above questions.

For starters, the first question--yeah i’m aware I can use an organization and individual. And yes, I’m aware that you offered to the people that asked...but I felt rude coming out and asking you via forum. I just felt weird doing that. As far as the organization, thanks for clarifying, I wasn’t sure if they specifically meant only a “Chinese Diplomatic Mission” in the home country/abroad...or if it could be some obscure organization that bore no relevancy to China.

I asked the “additional attachments for employment” question--not because i was clueless, but because I’ve read that I needed to attach them (so now, it’s more of question as to which party is more competent). I was more so to get actual confirmation--perhaps hoping that someone who got the scholarship would come forward and be like “yeah, I put stuff under the employment section--and nope, i didn’t attach anything.” So far, I’ve only really heard from students who never really had to submit proof of employment because they weren’t working in the first place. Basically, I was trying to figure out whether I should totally avoid listing anything under the employment section---because then, say I assume no further proof was need...but THEN, it just so happens that they DID want proof. I lose. So, I’m guessing because of the conflicting advice, it’s better just to leave that blank.

In reference to my “OfficeMax Printer Paper ‘Official’ Enough” question...I was alluding to something else I read--which was that it is NOT official enough. I saw one student who was told he had to resubmit the whole application because he had printed it out on his home computer, on “OfficeMax-esque printer paper”, if you will. He HAD to get the original from the consulate/embassy. But THEN, i read on here that someone else just printed it off their computer and made photocopies. Thus, I am left to conclude that the procedure isn’t uniform amongst all the authorities and it would just be safer to just wait to get confirmation from the specific authority who will be receiving my particular application...I’m seeing people that have experienced both sides of this--so it appears that there really is no “correct” answer to the question. It’s irrelevant if the authorities and the application procedure itself is “supposed” to be uniform---it’s clearly not. What one consulate in LA does/says, might be different than what the one is Chicago thinks/says. One might deny the whole thing if it’s not on their official application form that has a greenish hue (no idea, just an example), but maybe the Chicago one doesn’t even bat an eye. I think I’ll just appeal to the higher standard of proof in this case...

With the medical exam question--I was having the same problem. I’ve read people suggest getting it before the application...as well as after. I guess it’s more a matter of convenience. For example, if one intends on going to China for over 6 months--which you would be if you’re studying for over a year--then you need a more extensive exam (i.e. blood test). But, what if going to China over a year was completely dependent on the scholarship? (i.e. say you don’t get it, and now you don’t plan on studying for a year). I just felt like the logic was fuzzy in regards to this and was looking for confirmation---because in my mind, if you don’t even know if you HAVE the scholarship yet, you’re just supposed to assume and go through all the motions like everything is in the bag? My thinking was that there’s like 48 million americans without health insurance, who probably all need scholarships--and for them to go get a bunch of blood work done, much less go see a doctor, for a scholarship they “might” get...doesn’t make sense. Regardless of the redtape, a procedure like that is just illogical...

All that aside though, I was primarily confused because on one chinese embassy site, i read that the “original Foreign Physical Examination Form must NOT be sent as application materials.” After reading that, sure, I questioned whether or not I should submit it with the application for a second, but it wasn’t until I read that they were simply sending me back a visa APPLICATION and not the actual “visa,” that I started thinking that perhaps the physical didn’t need to be submitted until after i filled out my little JW201 form and submitted it to be processed. (“The CSC will send the Visa Application Form for Study In China (JW201) to the relevant dispatching authorities by July 31, so as to have the documents forwarded to the students.” But maybe that the jW201 turns that into an automatic visa without me touching it? I wasn’t sure).

I guess I’m just not used to having such formal procedures be so...ambiguous. It was by no means my intention to look like “like a totally confused, clueless kid” by asking such trivial questions. In my mind, the above trivial questions have the potential to derail the entire scholarship, so I would just rather be thorough, than scholarship-less. But anyway, thanks for the help...it's great to hear from someone who's been through this process...

For example, if one intends on going to China for over 6 months--which you would be if you’re studying for over a year--then you need a more extensive exam (i.e. blood test). But, what if going to China over a year was completely dependent on the scholarship? (i.e. say you don’t get it, and now you don’t plan on studying for a year). I just felt like the logic was fuzzy in regards to this and was looking for confirmation---because in my mind, if you don’t even know if you HAVE the scholarship yet, you’re just supposed to assume and go through all the motions like everything is in the bag?

well, i think the csc people assume that you're going to try to go to china regardless of whether or not you receive the scholarship - in which case, youre going to have to complete the physical exam for the visa ANYWAY. and i dont remember there being a separate exam (less extensive one) for people who are staying in china for less than 6 months - but i never really looked into that one because i knew id be here longterm.

All that aside though, I was primarily confused because on one chinese embassy site, i read that the “original Foreign Physical Examination Form must NOT be sent as application materials.”

they mean the ORIGINAL. youre supposed to send a notarized copy of it - and the same goes if you were to apply for the visa itself. the original form is to be kept with you - kind of like how you hold onto your passport and only send copies of it for forms.

In my mind, the above trivial questions have the potential to derail the entire scholarship, so I would just rather be thorough, than scholarship-less.

i think you're taking this way too... seriously - for lack of better words. none of us really know how this works - and we've all come to the conclusion that the embassies dont really know either... and even the csc people themselves dont seem to know. there isnt really one specific thing or another that will "derail the entire scholarship." just follow the directions and stay on the safe side - tons of people have gotten the scholarship on their own and people whove gotten it usually dont know what they did wrong or right.

Hey this is a message for Elwood. I'm an aussie too and looking at applying for this scholarship. How and where did you apply for it in australia? Did you apply through the embassy in Canberra? Or in your home city (if it's not canberra)?

I am already in china (have been since october last year) and have spoken with CSC on the phone, they have asked me to apply through australia, I asked them if that meant i had to go back to australia to do it? But they said no, just send the forms to australia. So yeh, which embassy in australia should I contact?

If you don't want to post this information feel free to PM me. I'd really appreciate the info!

Hey, guys!

I'm from Brazil and I'd like so much to study in China.

CSC is offering 11 scholarships in my country and I'm very interested.So, I've downloaded all the applications forms and I'm filling them now, but...

I REALLY DON'T KNOW ANYONE FROM CHINA TO BE MY GUARANTOR'

And now, What do can I do? All my exams are complete, my documentation...but I haven't contact with anybody from China.

Somebody could help me?

My e-mails are boreiajr@gmail.com and wendell@ce.cn

PLEASE, HELP ME!:cry:

boreiajr,

ill be your guarantor.

but it would really be nice if you told us more about the process in brazil.

because its weird giving out my real name, phone number, and address to strangers.

chrissy88,

how is the process going?

read through some of my posts... theres information i want to give you if youve reached dead ends. but you need to ask me for it. come on!

and do you still need a guarantor?

Thanks, Extrapages :D I'm so glad fot that.

Answering your question, the Scholarship process is so complicated as in another countries. Furthermore, all documentation needed and exams are very expensive, specially why are needed notarized translations.

But, in Brazil a few people would like to study at China. The majority rather USA, European countries like France, England...so it's easier to get a scholarship to a Chinese University than Universities in another countries.

Brazilians who want study outside Brazil need to pay attention on the Ministry of External Relations of Brazil website: www.dce.mre.gov.br/

There, you'll find all opportunities to foreigners scholarship.

Extrapages! hey there! thanks for thinking of me...that's seriously so nice of you. Right now, I'm just waiting for my formal recommendation letters to arrive (should be here in a few days)...at which point I'll mail it to the embassy in DC...and keep my fingers crossed that person who is receiving it, knows what the scholarship even is.

I've literally had 3 people at the embassy and supporting consulates tell me that the scholarship "doesn't exist." I even had the front desk guy (yes, the FRONT DESK guy) tell me "there is no point in even filing it out because I am ineligible anyway". Then, he refused to transfer me to anyone beyond him. Awesome. His reasoning was because I didn't go to one of the Chicago consulate's "partner universities", blah, blah, etc. It was laughable. I mean it was so obvious he was making up answers and had no idea what I was talking about. "I don't know" would have been sufficient. But still, I just kept calling around, until I got someone in DC that at least had some idea of what I trying to do. He said to mail it there? So...

As for the guarantor...yeah...I still sorta need one. Basically my fall back option was going to be one of the individuals in the "American Citizen Services" department at the US embassy in Beijing. Seeing as I didn't know a soul in China, I felt this was my only other option--only problem is that they don't seem to be very excited about confirming. Any extra info you have...would seriously be fantastic.

So yeah, that's the gist. Now, I'm just playin' the waiting game. I'm planning on heading China next month, so I'm also in the middle of pinpointing the most intensive courses that will kick my ass from april to august....but, hey, that's a whole new thread...

to all,

i REALLY wanted to give this information to Chrissy88, someone i knew was very serious about this scholarship... but she just couldnt seem to figure out that i needed her to ask me directly for it. so im going to post it here again. JUST ONCE. for those who might need this hint. =]

this is from post #26 in this thread on page 3:

Also, I appreciate your posting and would like to know who it was that you contacted in the Department of Education at the Chinese Embassy.

id rather not post up his information in a public forum. i feel that its not only disrespectful to him but also irresponsible of me to post information without permission - and i wouldnt want this coming back to me as someone referring everyone to him... when i didnt even get the scholarship following their procedures - i just got lucky.

if you want it, send me a private message. =] i want to make sure that this information only gets to those who are serious and will not waste his time.

ive decided to edit my very first post - the post that most new people will read.

i need to cut out all the unnecessary details and focus more on the stuff thats important.

make it a little easier to find exactly the information they might need.

im also going to add links to all the forms and to the csc site itself.

and add information from discussions about what happens AFTER you get the scholarship, AFTER you come to china.

what else do you guys think is a MUST that i should put in?

ill be working on this the next week - and ill be asking everyone for input on the new edits. please help me out.

i also think i should have a system put in for people who need guarantors.

im willing to be guarantors for up to 10 people. ive done 4 so far. im going to do only 6 more. after that, i think it might be weird if the same name keeps popping up. so im looking for volunteers who can be guarantors to 1 to 3 people who might need them. is that ok?

(For ChevanY and others)

Hey this is a message for Elwood. I'm an aussie too and looking at applying for this scholarship. How and where did you apply for it in australia? Did you apply through the embassy in Canberra? Or in your home city (if it's not canberra)?

I am already in china (have been since october last year) and have spoken with CSC on the phone, they have asked me to apply through australia, I asked them if that meant i had to go back to australia to do it? But they said no, just send the forms to australia. So yeh, which embassy in australia should I contact?

If you don't want to post this information feel free to PM me. I'd really appreciate the info!

Sorry for the late reply.

I actually went through my university and they were the ones who gave me the scholarship application materials and sent the materials off for me.

Contact any Chinese embassy in Australia, preferably one in your home state to make things easier. If you have no luck with that, ask them about the Chinese embassy Education Office (not sure if that is the exact name but give it a shot). My documents were sent to the Education Office, not the Chinese embassy.

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them.

No problem on the late reply :) We still have approximately 6 weeks till it's due. Wow you went through your university? Hmmm. I have a few questions then as I am trying to sus out if my previous teachers from uni will be sufficient for the recommendations or if I need to find some specific person in my uni, like from the Chinese language department (I studied chinese medicine but not language). The questions are:

What date were the application materials due at your university?

So were you already doing chinese language at uni? Or are you doing an international studies degree majoring in china and therefore coming to China anyway?

Did you get recommendations from special people or just your teachers at university?

Which university you are from?

Do you know of any other from Australia getting the scholarship?

Do you know how many they give out to australians?

I realise it's a lot of questions and if you don't want to answer all that's fine but any answers will be greatly appreciated and put to good use.

Oh and I have the address and details of the guy in the Education Office who I need to send it to (no thanks to the chinese embassy in aussie for not answering emails, but plent of thanks to the aussie embassy in beijing who wrangled it out of them). So yeh it's just deciding if my recommendations (which are really good but from the chinese medicine department not language) are from the "right people".

Cheers Elwood!

The application materials were due quite early in the year because they need to make the deadline for people going in September. Be sure to double check the dates.

I was already studying Chinese at uni before I came to study in China. Studying beforehand helps alot because classes are conducted in Chinese and you tend to have a easier time with communication which puts you in a happier mood.

I got recommendations from my Chinese language teachers at uni. That was no problem. Recommendations from your Chinese medicine teachers are ok because it is still related to China in a way.

When I got my scholarship there were about 15 people Australia wide that also got it the same time as me.

Good luck.

Anyone else who has questions, I'm happy to answer them because I have already been through this process and I know how many problems and unanswered questions you run into.

I wil throw in my 2 cents. And you all should read it because I did everything (and spent a fair bit of money) and never heard back.

Guarantor is a joke. Use extrapages, or make someone up. They don't check. Really. Every university application in China asks for it.

Be sure you are not currently studying in China. While this might not be against the rules technically, I am sure they don't like to see it. why? Because it means you made it on your own and therefore don't need any help.

If you can make personal visits to the embassy to ask around, rather than sit on the phone, its probably a good idea. I was told to ask DoE and others in the US and they had never heard of CSC. I couldnt really afford the long distance charges from Beijing and the 13 hour time difference during application. In the end, its pure luck. Hope it turns out better for you guys than it did for me.