Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Ok so it might appear those who are in china have a lower chance of getting accepted. So far there are three of us here that applied and we three have been in china.

Two of us applied thru DC and one thru SF.

Okay, here's what I discovered...

There are a limited number of places for people from Australia on a CSC scholarship to attend Zheda (or any other institution). As I had to start spring semester instead of this autumn due to my honours studies here, this meant that by the time I got there places would already be filled by the autumn intake. Since I didn't have any other preferences (grumble grumble), they just enrolled me at Zheshida.

According to our contact at the Australian embassy, there's no way around it--if I choose not to attend Zheshida, I give up my scholarship. We have debated two possible alternatives at my CI but are yet to try them out on officials for size:

1) I attend Zheshida for the first term and try and transfer later when I'm already in the system.

2) I go later, and try and use the scholarship I received this year to become part of next year's autumn intake. Then I can reselect the schools I want.

However, I'm slowly getting used to the idea of Zheshida. Sure, it's not a first rate school and Jinhua is a bit off the beaten path but the campus looks REALLY pretty, foreigners will be pretty scarce, and friends are convincing me it's a good thing to have an experience people who just go to the big name unis might not get. What do you all think? Do I fight further or do I accept my lot and look for the good things in where I've been placed? Furthermore, does anyone actually know what the quality of Chinese language teaching at Zheshida is like?

News from Spain: I have been accepted in Tsinghua for a one year course of Mandarin Chinese. Yu huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!! :clap

I am a little bit dissapointed because I have aplied for an international politics master in english but maybe next year with a better mandarin.:lol: But i still feel overwhelmed........

Anyone knows about this mandarin programs in Tsinghua ? Thanks a lot for all your support and info ...really appreciated.

@ Palas Atenea: Congratulations on being accepted to Tsinghua! This is a beautiful campus, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time studying there. It's also my first choice.

Just a quick question - you indicated in an earlier post that you had received an e-mail to let you know that you had been pre-selected. If it's a generic message, I wonder if you could post it here? I'm also on the EU pre-selected list, but still haven't received any communications from the CSC, so it would be really helpful to have more details about what this list means (i.e. does it mean everyone listed is going to be offered a scholarship for sure?). Thanks in advance.

Well crap, looks like I didn't get it. My girlfriend got an email from the DC embassy saying she got it and I haven't heard anything so far. It's so not fair, since I was the one who told her about it in the first place :).

BUT

I have already gotten a scholarship to study Chinese in Taiwan for a year and we had decided to do that before she heard, so everything is good :mrgreen:. Good luck to everyone else, I hope those of you that haven't heard like me end up getting it.

Also, thanks for everyone's help (especially extrapages). This board is awesome.

Edited by Five_Elements

For the record, I am working in China, have worked here and traveled before on two other trips, said as much on my application, and I got accepted.

As I'm far from my permanent address and will be traveling a lot I'm not sure when I'll see the mailed materials. I am wondering if anybody knows when the next semester is starting? How long in advance are we advised to arrive? Want to think about plane tickets soon...

Those of you getting scholarships to Taiwan - if you could start a new topic about those with details of the application process, where to apply, etc, it could well be useful for a lot of future applicants.

Got my CSC acceptance letter and JW 202 from BLCU today (my 3rd choice).

Postage was dated 22 July, so US recipients should know their destination soon.

I won't be the only redhead in Haidain, Beijing, but I'll probably be the only one that's a big enough prick to wear surplus Army gear.:lol: Say Hi if you see me.

For those who applied through DC embassy, have you received your packet of information through the mail yet? I was under the assumption that because they asked for address confirmation on Monday, they would ship Tues. or Wed. and it would arrive Friday or Saturday, yet still nothing yet. I'm getting wildly anxious about how to prepare for this thing as the departure is no more than 5 weeks away now.

I don't have anything yet, and I am pretty sure it was mailed on Wednesday based on what I was told in an email when I asked where I was going. I was really hoping it would arrive today, as mail from DC to Boston really shouldn't take more than three days. I'm totally sad now though, because it is being sent to my permanent address because the mail where I am for the summer is kind of unreliable, and tomorrow morning my entire family is leaving for a road trip to come visit me and no one will be able to check our mail until next Sunday. A whole week! I just want to know where I'm going and possibly start preparing myself to go freeze to death at my third choice school, haha.

But I think we should all know soon!

I just got my packet 15 minutes ago. I was starting to worry it wouldn't come. evasiege: I applied through the D.C. embassy btw, if that helps. It turns out I got into my top choice, 清华大学 (Tsinghua U), for a masters in computer science, and an initial 1 year intensive language study at 北京语言大学 (BLCU), which I didn't apply for, assuming I would have to go to 清华 for language study too, but was secretly longing for anyway. cm202bc: I think you'll love BLCU, even if it was just your third choice -- maybe I'll see you on campus some time ^_^. Thanks again to extrapages, you are super awesome! Are you still going to be in Beijing this fall? If so I owe you a beer or two, or two million. Congratulations to everyone who got the scholarship, condolences to those who didn't.

Hello everyone,

After already finishing a year of Chinese study in Hangzhou, I just got a scholarship to study a Master's degree in Chinese Philosophy at Zhejiang University. The scholarship will include a year of Chinese and then two to three years of graduate study. I'm a little anxious about living in China for another four years, but I don't know anything better to do with my life. If anyone is interested this is the email they used to notify me. Thanks for everyone's support on this thread.:clap

Dear Mr./Ms. WILLIAMS, JOSEPH CASIMIR :

We are pleased to inform you that, having examined your application materials, we have decided to enroll you to study at the Humanities College (Department) of our institution as a Master’s Degree Student in the program of Chinese Philosophy taught in Chinese from September /Mon. 2010 /Yr. to July /Mon. 2013 /Yr ( Allowed to be finished within three years ).

Concerning that your proficiency of Chinese has not reached the requirement of our institution for professional learning, you’ll need to study Chinese in Zhejiang University starting from September /Mon. 2009 /Yr. to July /Mon. 2010 /Yr.

According to the notice of the China Scholarship Council, your fees for studying in China will be covered by: Full scholarship (including tuition, lodging, comprehensive medical insurance, medical care, learning material and living allowance).

If you are in Hangzhou please find some time and come to my office to get the admission documents next week. Or please confirm you mailing address and contact telephone number, and all the admission documents will be sent after your prompt response.

Sincerely,

Yi Honghui

International College

Zhejiang University

Hangzhou, China

Just a quick question - you indicated in an earlier post that you had received an e-mail to let you know that you had been pre-selected. If it's a generic message, I wonder if you could post it here? I'm also on the EU pre-selected list, but still haven't received any communications from the CSC, so it would be really helpful to have more details about what this list means (i.e. does it mean everyone listed is going to be offered a scholarship for sure?). Thanks in advance

Well .. it is in spanish but I am going to post the main ideas translated:

1. You have passed the first evaluation from the Chinese Embassy in order to apply for a Chinese Goverment Scholarship.

2. We will send your document to China.

3. ¿Have you applied to another scholarship in the same framework or any other institution?

4. Please specify if you keep on want to apply for the scholarship.

5. The Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC) will decide the final scholarship. If there were not vacancies in the universities you have remarked on your application form, the CSC may relocate your application to another university. Please indicate ir you agree with this condition. If you are not or your circumstances change before the resolution date, please keep informed to this embassy.

This e mail was in may ... adressed to 18 e mails and there were 18 scholarship offered through the web page ... so we were all very excited about the confirmation .,.,.It seems that the first filter is very important . so if you are preselected I bet you have a high percentage of success ... hope you get it ... Thanks for the reference on the campus ... I still do not believe I will be there in a month. :lol:

Here's my info...

1. When did you apply: March 25 (I think, near the deadline for EU students)

2. What consulate: China Mission to the EU - Brussels

3. What schools: Yunnan Normal University, Zhejiang University, Shanghai International Studies University

4. What those chose for you: Yunnan Normal University

5. When you found out: July 22 (Acceptance Email), July 27 (School Confirmation)

6. How you were notified: Generic Email from Brussels, then mail

I'm going to be at Wen Hua Da Xue in Taipei.

I would start a thread, but I applied through my college, so I don't know how useful the information I have would be for general applicants. :/ I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days.

One anomaly you might all like to know about: Not only as I posted before was I sent to a school that was none of the three choices, but also my application was miss processed or something and I was awarded a scholarship for a Bachelor's Degree, even though I included a copy of my bachelor's diploma, transcripts, letters from professors and a clear and correct marking on my application that I wanted a Master's degree.

I'll appeal of course, but I may not be taking it anyway because of all of these things. I'll keep you all posted.

Just got my package in the mail and I have a couple questions.

First, does being enrolled as a general scholar mean I can take classes, other than Chinese language, for free?

Second, is it absolutely required to apply for a visa in person? I live no where near the embassies in the U.S. (15 + hour drive in all directions). Also, is the visa fee not covered by CSC?

edit: then I just realized each embassy has its own region...so it looks like I'm trying to get one from Chicago. And then I realized it can't be mailed (or can it?). Anyone know a good visa agent?

Edited by evasiege

@ Palas Atenea

Thanks for posting the details of the e-mail you received from the CSC to let you know that you had been pre-selected. You mentioned that there is a web page with a list of scholarship winners on it - I assume that this is for Spain only, but perhaps you might post a link? The only site that I'm aware of with results for applicants from the EU is this one: http://www.chinamission.be/eng/lxzg/ofzz/

@ evasiege

I recommend ChinaSmith in New York as a visa agent. I got a tourist visa through them about two years ago. They took care of everything very quickly and for a reasonable fee. I'm not sure that they handle student visas, but I think it's very likely. Here's the link: http://www.chinasmith.com/visa.htm

Congratulations to all the recent scholarship winners and commiserations to those who were disappointed!