Chinese-Forums

Remembering Simplified Hanzi 1 and Remembering Traditional Hanzi 1

newyorkeric

Thankyou so much, i don't think i could of asked for a more detailed explanation!

Your progress truly is remarkable and it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into the most efficient ways of learning. Guaranteed its not a method for everyone, but I get the impression I memorize things well in a similar way you do so its something i'l look into once I've finished Heisig . Your dedication is also extremely admirable, I hope i can keep my motivation high too. May I ask what is it you do in China? Are you able to put your Chinese into practice in your job?

Good luck with your learning too, i genuinely am really appreciative for all your help.

Yes I did a lot of reading of other people's great techniques on learning and memorization and took a lot of great ideas from them :-) I don't think progress is that remarkable, if you put the minutes and hours in you'll get the results.

I work for a multinational running sales & marketing training programs for our sales force. Although the official language of the company is English actually we use a lot of Chinese in China, so I get quite a bit of exposure to Chinese in meetings, seminars, etc. I run a weekly team meeting in Chinese and stuff like that. And if you live in Beijing, you can use Chinese every single day, pretty much required when you leave the house.

• 3 months later...

I got Remembering Simplified Hanzi Part 1 for Christmas. Having previously taken 2 semesters of Mandarin, I thought it would be a nice way to boost my character recognition. I'm in the middle of studying for exams so I haven't been able to dedicate a huge amount of time to it, but so far I like it!

I'm finding that using the 'ignore pronunciation' method allows me to learn the stroke order and meaning of characters extremely quickly. If I attempt to learn the pronunciation along with it then it slows me down a lot. So I'm trying to decide if I should just go along with how the book says to do it or try to learn the pinyin at the same time.

I've been wondering though, let's say I finish books 1 and 2 and i'm in a position where I know about 3000 characters, maybe with the pronunciations. Where would I go from there? Find books that teach grammar only?

If I attempt to learn the pronunciation along with it then it slows me down a lot.

On the other hand, you're going to have to go back at some point and learn the pronunciation for all of these characters again, so the time you've 'saved' is really just an illusion.

Where would I go from there? Find books that teach grammar only?

Find a good textbook series and go through that, then slowly transition to native content through graded readers and the like.

• Like 1