Chinese-Forums

Remembering Simplified Hanzi 1 and Remembering Traditional Hanzi 1

newyorkeric

Seems like this book is going to be very good in helping to remember Hanzi. I think this book is better suited for people who can already recognize and read some characters, but do not know how to write.

Does anyone know if this book will be available in China?

• 2 weeks later...

The books are to be published by the University of Hawaii Press.

I just contacted them and have been told the following:

The manuscripts for both the simplified and traditional characters are currently

undergoing extramural review. If they are accepted for publication by

the editorial board, the books might be available as early as July or

August of 2008.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• 4 months later...

I just got this response from the UHP when I asked when the book would be issued.

----------

Thank you for your interest in University of Hawai'i Press!

Unfortunately, we do not have a price for that book yet. The tentative release date for the book is Spring 2009. Please feel free to check back with us at a later time, or you can also visit our website at uhpress.hawaii.edu.

Thank you.

I wrote them about a year ago and was told, as I mentioned in a previous post to this thread, that it would be issued sometime near the end of this Summer.

Now it seems it has been put off another year.

I can't figure out what is holding up what is a completed file that is, essentially, good to go.

The Publications page said Summer of 2008. Here's the link:

http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/projects/projects.htm

夏2008予定 means summer of 2008.

On the misc. page here's another tidbit:

PROGRESS REPORT (5 May, 2008): The book is currently with the University of Hawai'i Press, where it is being proofread in preparation for publication

16 April is the date of the e mail which I shared above. As of that date the UHP was quoting Summer, 2009.

I am passing on what I know. I contacted them since they are the publisher.

I have dealt with major publishers in the US and UK as an author. They have never stuck to their original and, in many cases, revised, publication estimates. There are so many factors at work when it comes to publishers. It has been quite an education for me.

Harold Goodman

Author, Michel Thomas Mandarin courses

Yeah, these release dates are ridiculous.

May I ask why the vocab course for your language series is scheduled for 2009? Your profile said physician, so I'd imagine that you author Mandarin programs part-time. Is this why it's going to take a long time for the vocab course?

Which one takes longer?

1. Authoring the content of the course?

2. Doing the actual recording with professional Mandarin speakers?

By the way, do you use an isolation booth? How are the recordings done?

Braveb

The recording and release dates are set by people in London according to their schedules. I was informed that the immediate editor responsible for this project had decided on the 2009 release date. We shall actually record at a recording studio in the US in late 2008. Again, this is according to the publisher's schedule.

The authoring takes a lot longer than the recording. For a course of this length ( five hours) we shall be recording about 16- 20 hours. This is then edited down to five hours. Actually, most of the material you will hear is captured during the recording. However, often the editor, who is on site, will ask us to repeat things, explain things, etc. Then we must deal with the inevitable technical issues. We prefer to allow more time, also, because our British editor and the British student must come over here to record and cannot return if they don't get it right the first time.

All of the group recordings have been done in heavily isolated professional studios. I have done some make-ups for the publisher using an isolation booth.

You ask how long it took to create/author the course.

For the Foundation/ Beginner course, as an example, I spent about one and a half years creating it, doing trials, revising and checking the accuracy of the material with various native-speakers.

It took a lot longer from beginning to end than I would have thought.

Harold Goodman

Author, Michel Thomas Mandarin courses

Thanks for the inside glimpse at the production process. It's more interesting and more logistically challenging than I would have imagined. The major problem seems to be that you aren't in control of the process or allocating the external resources needed. I guess it shows why writers and musicians are increasingly trending towards self-publication, which technology is enabling.

While RSH ou RTH doesn´t relesead why we shuld to do?

More time will spent to the release date?

I would like to get a Hanzi list to use in anki whith 3000 basic Hanzi, who can provide one?

Almost hanzi list that I have has two or more one Hanzi for one term, exemple notebook...

But what all we need is a list in RTK in RSH version. I know that is all the work for Heisig did to release RTK and RSH or RTH.

maybe.. To get the original RTK text and replace them with traditional and simplified hanzi? I know there are a lot of RTK list already for the Anki SRS system usages. Why we don´t use them?

I will get a copy from this book so it be relesead, but it does not allow to wait any time no longer to understand all basic Hanzi.