Chinese-Forums

Everything is making me sick!

optical

MSG caused a big food scare in the west but it's all blown out of proportion. Plus it is in just about every manufactured food. Even in the west. They just label it as 'Flavouring Enhancers'. MSG sounds like a big scary chemical but it's not really. The mono sodium refers to salt. The same stuff as you put on your french fries. The glutamate part is a natural compound found in a wide range of foods like fish sauce and even cheese (especially hard cheeses like parmesan). If left on it's own, the glutamate will break down so they mix it with salt to keep it stable for storage.

A small number of people react to MSG. Although this fact is still debated, some people complain of headaches, vision problems and/or rashes.

A larger number of people just like to be fussy and ask for "no MSG". Either the chef will ignore this request, will add some other flavouring instead (most of which will contain MSG!) or will cut it out and replace it with salt. In my opinion salt is just as bad for you. If they left out both the salt and MSG then the chances are that the food will taste bland.

I don't know about MSG, but I know too much salt is bad for you. I assume MSG is the same. I also assume that most people in China eat too much of both.

Too much salt can give some of the symptoms people describe. In the short term, a high salt intake can make you thirsty and give you a headache. My guess is that the MSG puts up your salt intake in a way that you are not used to and so you get the symptoms. In the west we usually add glutamate to our food in ways that don't increase the salt level. The salt sits on the table an you can add or not add it to your pleasure. It's rare to see salt on Chinese dinner tables.

Salt is bad for your. In the long term it will clog up your arteries and give you heart problems. So I personally avoid MSG because of the salt, not because MSG it's self is particularly bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wonder if this topic can be pushed just that 'little' bit further ....

I dont know if it is a local idiom, but I suspect that everyone here has heard it.

...that only a brave man farts in China.

Do people living in China have toilet strategies ....do you look out for toilets when travelling about and if caught out could you run into a bank and tell them that if they dont let you use the staff toilet then you will not get off their beautiful carpet.

I wonder if Mr Stinky has been about lately, he might be of some use here

from Jekai, page 2:

Also, as for the tap water, I noticed the water in my hotel was crystal clear, so I did some searching, and aparrently as of a few months ago, they decided that Beijing tap water is safe to drink. That's no gaurantee that the pipes the water passes through will keep it clean, but if it seems clean, it just might be.

Please don't anyone think that crystal clear water is safe. Crystal clear means nothing. Lots of chemicals are crystal clear. Baijiu is crystal clear. And fresh stream water is crystal clear but fishies poop in it every day. You can't see tiny little organisms and chemicals.

Crystal clear just means there's no actual dirt or rust in it, but there are SO MANY things that could be in it that you can't see!

:(

PS - if a hotel says their water is safe, it doesn't mean other places have safe water. Some fancier hotels purify their tap water for the convenience of the guests.

Perhaps somewhat on the topic... I've had a bit of a reentry problem to western society after an 8-month stint in the PRC... Cheese (and some creamier dishes) wreaks havoc on my system--I stink up the place pretty bad. :oops: Haha. Before China, though, I ate it often and enjoyed it much. Milk, half-n-half, ice cream, and yogurt don't seem to be a problem. Just wonderful, delicious cheese... It's been almost 6 months now, and I haven't really readjusted. I feel like I should recommend those going to China to secure a daily ration of cheese at your neighborhood Carrefour (Jialefu)..

Perhaps somewhat on the topic... I've had a bit of a reentry problem to western society after an 8-month stint in the PRC... Cheese (and some creamier dishes) wreaks havoc on my system--I stink up the place pretty bad. Haha. Before China, though, I ate it often and enjoyed it much. Milk, half-n-half, ice cream, and yogurt don't seem to be a problem. Just wonderful, delicious cheese... It's been almost 6 months now, and I haven't really readjusted

Had the exact same issue on my 1st return to the U.S. after 2 years in Asia. The problem seemed even worse on my most recent trip home, just a few months ago. Originally thought it was just a sensitivity to dairy, but this time it seemed like wheat based products were doing it as well, since my dairy intake was negligible (drinking soy milk instead of cow milk, no cheese, etc). I've been in Asia 5 years now, and my diet is basically the same as Chinese. I rarely eat Western foods.

I had a friend who developed a wheat gluten allergy after two years in India. Be interesting to know how often this sort of thing happens.

• 1 month later...

Part II of my series of what NOT to do in China:

Since this thread is 'everything' is making me sick, I'll add something on a related issue that can be unpleasant/even dangerous while traveling/touring, so learn from my mistake and take extra caution this summer:

Make sure while walking around, or potentially being stuck on public transporatation for a while to bring an adequate supply of water! Heat stroke and heat exhuastion which can also cause vomiting...even death..can be really sneaky. I say sneaky because you think that you'll be ok and will just grab something to drink or rest when you get a chance, but if you wait too long, you are really asking for it, as I discovered...

To make a long story short I was a bit lost in the concrete jungle around Gongzhufen, Beijing Xizhan, and Lianhua qiao the other day trying to find an office and too stubborn to take a cab after taking the subway down there, since I clearly had a map and my IC card with me I was pretty sure I could find the place somewhat easily. However, I ended up getting all turned around and spending at least 2 hours in total walking (sometimes running b/c I was trying to get there before the office closed for lunch) and at least another hour after that on a really hot and crowded bus back home. I actually did bring a water bottle, but had finished it off and not bothered to buy more, which I now seriously regret since after I made it home it all finally 'HIT' me and I spent the next 24 hours feverish and vomiting with the worst headache ever and even suffering from muscle cramps. No fun whatsoever.

This is probably the worst case of heat exhaustion/dehydration that I've experienced, and I what is quite frightening really didn't realize how dehydrated I must have been. ( I guess I was really focused on my task at hand). Twice before in previous years I have nearly passed out when stuck on a bus w/ no AC in summer, but usually I could tell something bad was going to happen because everything around me began to go dark~but at least I was miraculously able to rehydrate 'in time' and just fine after a bit thanks to friends and even strangers who lent a helping hand. However, this time it did sneak up on me quite severely.

These was definitely not a good experience and after some internet searching today and found out that heat exhaustion and sunstroke can really be quite serious and apparently you are suppose to go to a hospital...hmm, which makes sense since its quite disturbing when you are dehydrated but can't even keep down water...So, once again, I hope that other forum members will be more alert and cautious during their outdoor adventures during these warmer months and also keep an eye on their friend and fellow travelers since I am sure this type of sickness can be just as serious or even more serious than food poisening...etc:(

Heat stroke is a big problem, I agree. I had very bad sun stroke one when I was in Cyprus. It was 42C and I took a boat trip. While on the trip I went swimming and of course would has swallowed some salt water. This will make you dehydrate more. The whole time I sat outside on the deck with no T-shirt and no sun cream. Later that evening I felt a little queezy had a bad headache but wasn't sick. The sun burn was worse, it itched and itched for days after I got home.

Also, when I was in Beijing two years back I got a little heat exhaustion. Each evening I would feel unwell and be off my food. Come the morning I'd be fine again then next evening feeling bad. The cause of course being out in the sun (well this is Beijing - bright haze) all day and not enough water.