Chinese-Forums

What kind of fish is "Ba Yu"?

dermur

Okay, I finally looked at those links. I especially like liuzhou's because it has pictures. That's what makes my mouth water! It's a pretty good start. But where's the crocodile, tortoise & Dr Watson's sea cucumber?

Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to have a book in my hand and study it. I guess I'll head back to the bookstores. But which one would have the best probability of having something like this? I'll probably be in Shanghai next before a quick stop in Beijing.

Edited by Long Zhiren
Sea Cucumber is Dr Watson's query

But where's the crocodile, tortoise & Dr Watson's sea cucumber?

They're not fish!

But that's the trick. They're not fish, but a bunch of them have 魚!

So what other non-fish have 魚 in their Chinese names? I want to study this and know these thoroughly.

Mushrooms are next...

are group of large carp-like freshwater fish, almost all of the genus Barbus. They are usually found in gravel and rocky bottomed fast flowing waters with high dissolved oxygen content. A typical adult barbel will range from 25 to 100 cm in length and weigh anywhere between 200 g and 10 kg, although weights of 1-2kg are more common.

The name barbel derived from the Latin "barba" meaning beard[1], a reference to the two pairs of barbs - a longer pair pointing forwards and slightly down positioned - on the side of the mouth.

Fish described as barbels by English-speaking people may not be known as barbels in their native country, although the root of the word may be similar. For instance, the Mediterranean barbel, Barbus meridionalis is known as barbeau méridional or barbeau truité in France, but also as 'Drogan', 'Durgan', 'Tourgan', 'Turquan' and 'Truitat'.[2]

Edited by imron

Next time I'm in DaShang supermarket, I'll buy a Ba Yu, take a photo of it and post it here!

Of course, this leads me to another question...what the best way to cook ba yu? :wink:

I suppose steaming is the obvious method - is battered fish becoming popular?