Chinese-Forums

pin yin, jyutpin, and English for some phrases.

JimW

I'm trying to learn a bit of written Mandarin, and perhaps a little Cantonese on the side. (Most Chinese Speakers in this area are Cantonese, though there is one elderly lady in a family of Cantonese who speaks only Minnan.)

I've been using CEDICT, though it appears there are some phrases it hasn't gotten to yet. I've been concentrating on GB, though I also have the Traditional CEDICT.

I would like to know the pin yin, jyutpin, and English translation for the following phrases:

万物

没有

一样

(If any of these don't make sense in Cantonese, I'd appreciate knowing the "proper" form.)

Thanks very much,

Jim Wagner

MANDARIN with simplified script, and Hanyu Pinyin:

万物 wan4 wu4/wàn wù

没有 mei2 you3/méi yŏu

一样 yi2 yang4/yí yàng (tonal shift: yi1>>yi2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANTONESE with traditional script, and Jyutping:

萬物 mak9 mat9

没有 << doesn't exist in Cantonese, they use one special character, that looks like 有, but without the 2 horizontal lines in the centre of the "月 moon", but I cannot type it here. It is pronounced, mou5. Here is a link, that shows this character, scroll down to "not have">

http://www.cantonese.ca/verbs.php

the characters, 没 and 有 do exist in Cantonese, and are used, but it is not used together to form the word "(to) not have".

一樣 jat7 joeng6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their MEANINGS in English:

(the) ten thousand things

(do, to) not have

(the) same, (the) one and same

I hope this helped.

- Shibo :roll: