Chinese-Forums

What character is 言咸?

anonymoose

I have a list of names in simplified characters, and one character amongst them consists of 言 on the left-hand side, and 咸 on the right hand side. Since the 言 in most simplified characters is simplified to 讠, I'm not sure whether this character is a real simplified character, or the person who compiled the list just used a traditional character instead.

In any case, I have searched several dictionaries, both simplified and traditional, but I cannot find this character. I am surprised, therefore, that it has been printed into the list, since that would mean it exists in some font set.

So, does anyone know what this character is? What is its simplified version like - is it 言咸 or 讠咸? And how should this character be pronounced?

Thanks.

Here's what Wenlin says:

"諴 [shén] [xián] [gān] [yán] (Unihan) in harmony; in agreement; incere [sic]"

It's 8af4 in Unicode and in Cantonese is pronounced haahm.

And here's another listing which shows xián as the proper reading:

http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE8ZdicABZdicB4.htm

Like Poster 5, I haven't come across a jiantizi version, though.

I think aeon is right about it being 诚, especially since it's one of the characters in my own Chinese name; 戴诚

The character 諴 at normal text size actually looks so much like the simplified 诚 that at first glance, I was sure it was the same character.

People sometimes like to choose obscure characters for names, so finding someone with the character 諴 in their name would not be surprising, really. It might sound better than 诚 in that particular name, and it carries an additional meaning of 和谐 - what's not to like?

Also, the original poster said that the list was written in simplified characters - 誠 would have been 诚, but there's no alternative for 諴.