Chinese-Forums

Dried Red Pepper dish

penglimei

Hi

I am wondering, does anyone know the name of this dish I am trying to explain below... Even better, does anyone know a recipe or how to make it? I left China a few months ago and I have been craving this like crazy! But I don't know how to make it or what ingredients go into it. Thanks!!

So, the dish is JUST these dried red peppers. It's served as an appetizer in a little white plate/bowl usually, and it's just a small little dish of dried, crispy red peppers, some are whole, some are broken, the seeds are spilling out, etc. And you just pick up the little pieces and eat them, and they're not really hot like you expect. A little spicy and salty, but you can eat a whole serving without your mouth catching fire. It weirded me out the first time because I expected them to be like the red peppers you SHOULDN'T eat in other dishes.

Ok thanks guys! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

龙的传人也就是中国人

Are you describing this : fired red peppers [素炸辣椒]?

Materials: 1 egg, 10 red peppers, a small piece of tofu , 20 pignuts and a little flour.

Method : Cut up pignuts and the tofu, smash the egg (actually the egg you just use half of it).

Mix round pignuts , tofu and the egg together, add some flour and salt . Mix them equably untill they become a bowl of panada.

Cut off 1/4 red peppers, put them into that panada.

Fire your pan, pour a bowl of rape oil in the pan , and then use slow fire to fire them for 3-4 minutes.

Notice: The cut of these red peppers you can not make them big , otherwise they should metamorphose easily.:)

There are a large variety of peppers of various strengths. Often you'll have capsicums or sweet peppers in Chinese food. These are the same species as the hot peppers but aren't hot. There are also some I buy here that are a little bit spicy but not very spice. Then there are ones that literally blow your mouth off.

Usually in the shops you only see the very hot peppers in dried form. The sweet peppers are usually fresh. But there is no reason why they shouldn't be dried just the same way as the sweet ones. In fact, for western cooking they often are dried and powdered to make the spice we know as Paprika.

To make the dish, you could try buying some fresh sweet peppers and drying them in the sun at home.