Chinese-Forums

HSK: The renegade exam?

roddy

I won't be surprised if we end up with two running side by side, although I don't know if Hanban will stick with the HSK name - on one hand it's a known brand, on the other they'd look a bit daft with 'HSK' when the opposition has HSK改进。Perhaps they could rename it HSK原版 or something.

I have no idea what will happen, but if Hanban wanted to I suspect they could have the Ministry of Education tell universities to a) stop offering the HSK office's new exams and work with Hanban and B) not recognize results from the new exams. Not sure if they would do that, but if they do, game over.

minhang guanli ganbu xueyuan in wangjing has been holding the HSK for the last three months

Similarly Dongcai in Dalian was never previously a test center, but this year has run a mock advanced HSK and the BCT, both for the first time.

• 1 year later...

You'll all be glad to hear that the CSL testing establishment have come up with a simple and clear solution to this little spat. Both sets of HSK exams appear to be running in parallel, if that schedule is to be believed, but they've removed any indication of which is the 改进 version.

All together we've got HSKs 基础, 初级, 初中等, 中级, 高等, and 高级. How on earth is anyone meant to make sense of that? If you didn't know the history you'd have no chance of figuring out what the difference between 高级 and 高等 is, and so forth. I looked at the English site to see if that makes more sense, and it still has 2008's schedule, and 2007's news.

Presumably there's some information on the differences somewhere on the site, but they're hardly making things easy, or doing anything to give even the vague impression of organization and competence.

The HSK system is confusing and disorganized, which is why I have chosen NOT to take the exams. I also do not know if the HSK would accomodate my hearing disability. However as daily practice I study HSK preparation materials and take many HSK practice exams on a daily basis (for example online HSK practice exams). The reason is despite learning decades and decades of Chinese, about 99% of my Chinese courses focused more on literature than on grammar and vocabulary.

Hey Roddy,

I previously stumbled across this calendar, which lists dates for the original and 改进 versions via one of the random news items on the Chinese home page.

Predictably, though, the 考试时间安排 page here makes no mention of of the dates for the 改进 version! :wall

Maybe it's not really running this year, they've just put it on some schedules so they feel better. The one I link to only has dates along the lines of 'May' rather than anything concrete.

I am thinking of taking the HSK again.

Do we still register with the local chinese university or is there another way of doing it? Like a website or something?

It has been awhile.

Thanks,

Simon:)

P.S. what is the difference in the exams and the Chu Zhong deng 初中等 and the zhong deng 中及

There are online registration procedures, but last time anyone from here tried to use them they were a complete nightmare. Your best bet is probably just turning up to a university.

Chu Zhong deng 初中等 and the zhong deng 中及

The 中级 is the new 改进 version - read through this topic and you might find some explanations. The 初中等 is the traditional HSK. You might not even have both available locally.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

omg only in China do I have to spend HOURS reading up on an already complicated exam (3 levels within 3 levels say wat?)... (and STIlL not understand what's going on) because of a power struggle in a notoriously complex tiao/kuai system! (or at least thats what i am assuming thats what makes this kind of power struggle possible.)

so it's 2010... can someone please clarify if anything has changed? My classmate took the 初,中 level HSK exam last semester in Harbin.... does that mean she took the old/original HSK? I have been assuming that I need to take the new HSK (just like I need to take the new GRE)and have been researching books for that. I am taking it to get into grad programs (which require HSK 6 minimum) and not for fun or to see where I stand. Is preparation essentially the same whether I'm preparing for the old or the new? Does it look like the new HSK will be gaining official approval? Does it look like the old HSK will still stick around indefinitely? Don't know which one I should be taking.... If I don't get a chance to take the old in CHina then I will have to test in the US and I thought I heard only the new is available in most countries.... What in the WORLD is going on???

---

oops edit that~ its 2011 already! my does time fly or what

So the new HSK is offered in both the US and mainland China and there is no option for the old according to this website:

http://www.chinesetesting.cn/gokdinfo.do

Now, I'm wondering..... is this "new" one offered by hanban the same one as the BLCU one or is there still a separate BLCU one somewhere out there?

The two competing versions of the HSK (original HSK from BLCU and new HSK from Hanban) are to be replaced by the New HSK! On Christmas eve 2010 at BCLU, both sides finally agreed to form a joint venture company to co-operate on the new version. ...the BCLU testing centre will be abolished, the old HSK will no longer be used and both parties will work together on the new HSK.

See this post (mostly in Chinese) for the details.

wow, they can really take a page out of ETS's book when it comes to transitioning with a new test! I hate the idea of a new GRE but I've got to say they've done a great job of keeping everyone informed and making sure its a smooth transition.