Chinese-Forums

book titles

82riceballs

i'm wondering how book titles are "written" in Chinese. in English, u would underline (底線)or italicize (斜體)them.

eg:

That book is called Treasure Island.

or

That book is called Treasure Island.

is there any specific way in chinese that one would do that?

Sometimes book titles are put in special parentheses like this:

《金银岛》 or regular parentheses

By the way, does anyone know how to input those Chinese book title parentheses? The above example is cut and paste - I only know how to input this cheap substitute:

<<宝岛>>

Are you using Windows?

If so, then start the Chinese (PRC) IME and head for the button on the language bar with a period and a comma, then click it till it shows a Chinese-style period and comma. That sets input to Chinese-style punction. Type "<" and ">" and you'll get 《 》.

There was another punctuation marks for displaying names of books, I remember I was taught this way when I was a kid but this style seems to be obsolete now.

﹏﹏

It's used like underline, but I guess it's not as easy as the 《 》 for printing purpose. Check this page out also:

http://tinyurl.com/2necgr

﹏﹏
I've seen that a lot, but only in reprints of old books, as in, ancient classical Chinese books that get re-set and reprinted. The books that also underline (or rather sideline, as they are usually printed up-down right-left) all proper names in the text: ___.

Also in English you can use quotation marks... "Treasure Island" for example...

Actually, I was taught that quotation marks should be used for parts of works, such as journal articles, book chapters or parts of anthologies, whilst italics/underline is used for names of works. This might depend on the particular referencing system you're adhering to though.

Yeah, it is not an appropriate usage. It needs to be underlined but due to a decline in the quality of our general education system more and more people just freely write whatever they feel like writing.

Just like in Chinese the only appropriate way (I mean modern usage) is to use 《》

Actually, I was taught that quotation marks should be used for parts of works, such as journal articles, book chapters or parts of anthologies, whilst italics/underline is used for names of works. This might depend on the particular referencing system you're adhering to though.

WOW! You sure know your grammar!

Anyways, thanks for all the input, guys! 謝謝大家! :mrgreen: