Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

Here's mine:

黑匣子 hēixiázi, black box (ie in a plane). I heard this in a report on the recent plane crash in Thailand and knew what it was from context, but don't remember seeing 匣子 before so looked it up to see what it was.

What's yours? Characters, pinyin, meaning and source. We'll see how many we can get (probably one :lol:)

• Like 1

Oddly enough I've read the story from Rob07 (孔乙己 by 鲁迅) and listened to the song 海市蜃楼 by 与非门 but never bothered looking up 羼 or 蜃. And now I don't need to.

Was going to post another one, but will wait till tomorrow. . .

• Like 3

隆乳 long2 ru (3?) breast enlargement

淋巴結 lin2 ba1 jie2 lymph node

I suspect this article I'm translating will teach me the word for silicone as well, once I've looked up all the difficult words.

花儿 is really cool, I know one Dutch women who researches it, they would only let her into the 花儿 festivals if she could sing too, so she can sing 花儿 herself as well.

• Like 1

Word for yesterday since I actually was able to pry myself away from the computer for over 24 hours....

I think this takes top spot in being random, because I learned the Chinese in my recent class before even knowing what the English term for this structure is, always fun when that happens...

轭式搭配 e4shi4da1pei4(see point #9, but other vocab is interesting too) =zuegma structure

-----------------

Today's word, which came from a program about breeding camels in dubai (which fyi they are primarily used for racing there, and the 母 camels are usually the winners hahah)

妊娠期, ren4shen1qi1 or gestation period...which I guess on that note it's also useful to know 分娩( fen1mian3, or birth) also...hmm, can't find that program on the web, but i'm sure these would easily pop up in other nature programs...oh and stuff on humans of course too..

Diazeugmas exist in English, are found also in Chinese and greatly appeal to me!

I find that the most interesting characters are where two or more bits actually mean something, and it makes sense for them to be together in that character. I particularly like 杲 (gao3) which means bright. It even looks like a picture of the sun above the trees. Personally I haven't seen it used much, just in a couple of names.

As far as names go, I suppose 曌 (zhao4) can be seen as an improved version of 杲. According to Wikipedia, the history of this character is as follows:

"In December 689, ten months before she officially ascended the throne, she [武则天] had the government create the character Zhao (曌), an entirely new invention, created along with 11 other characters in order to show her absolute power, and she chose this new character as her given name, which became her taboo name when she ascended the throne ten months later. The character is made up of 2 pre-existing characters: "Ming" up top meaning "light" or "clearness"; and "kong" on the bottom meaning "sky". The idea behind this is the implication that she is like the light shining from the sky. Even the pronunciation of the new character is exactly the same as "shine" in Chinese."

• Thanks 1

she [武则天] had the government create the character Zhao (曌), an entirely new invention, created along with 11 other characters in order to show her absolute power, and she chose this new character as her given name, which became her taboo name when she ascended the throne ten months later.
That's actually very thoughtful of her. Instead of giving people a hard time by forbidding them to use an everyday character, she forbade them to use a character that they had done without anyway.

Random word: 討喜, as you would guess, the opposite of 討厭, and used to descibe the secretary at the office where I work.

Random Chinglish (or just bad English) phrase of the day: friendly printed version. Made me smile when I saw it.

• Like 1

Friday:

I have a feeling the computer peeps on this board already knew this word long ago...but I finally know what 驱动 means = qu1dong4 ...driver....(I guess computer applications or otherwise...) sheesh I know people kept yelling at me to download something....now i 'got it':mrgreen:

花子 huāzi is an old word for beggar, 乞丐 qǐgài and is still used today, although rarely. It seems to me that it doesn't have any connection with flower children.

叫化子/叫花子

化缘 is an euphemism for begging for something (usually food and money). 叫化 means yelling as to beg for something. 子 does not mean children, it's a suffix for "a person", and in the ancient past for "an honorable person".

Oh, yes, exactly! Friend, who told me that, said 叫花子, but then I checked dictionary and there was just 花子. I thought that she was wrong or that they say it this way in Hunan dialect. But she was actually right.

So, really no connection with flower children.:)