Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

• 3 weeks later...

冒昧 mao4mei4, an even more polite and formal way of saying mafan ni/bu hao yisi.

And one I should probably have known already:

化解 hua4jie3 reconcile (for example between fighting political parties that should work together. Fat chance :-) )

护链板 - hu4 lian4 ban3 - protect chain board - Chain Guard!

The metal cover over a bicycle chain to stop trousers getting oily.

Talking about oil - 加油 - jia1 you2 - oil, lubricate - (as in 'fill the tank' - 给车加油) but also means...

加油! 加油! - Go! Go! or Come on ! Come on!

骨灰级 - gǔhuījí hard-core, as in hard-core gamer. I think, only seen it the once

This is such a strange term ... I had to search on the internet to get what it means.

骨灰级指伴随一款游戏从游戏开始发行到全盛再到出现逐渐被其他游戏取代的趋势经历起数代的改变依然是该游戏忠实玩家的级别

近于"铁杆球迷"这种级别

I guess it is not commonly used, right?

廓然大公 Kuo4 Ran2 da4gong1 completely open and transparent, not keeping anything hidden.

Seems to be a rather obscure term, none of my Chinese coworkers knew it. Fortunately there is google.

斗篷, dǒupeng, cape or cloak. Dict.cn also has mantle, which I now learn is a short cape, usually a symbol of power or authority, ie within the church, and figuratively as in "To whom, then, will her mantle pass?" I didn't know that. I don't know what I thought a mantle was. So there you go, two random words for the price of one.

Re: 骨灰级, I don't know how common it is, but I've only come across it the once and ended up at the same page as you, Skylee, trying to figure out what it meant.

My favourite word to share is [POP=guānmén dìzǐ]关门弟子/關門弟子[/POP], meaning the final disciple to be accepted by a master (of [POP=wǔshù (martial arts)]武术/武術[/POP], [POP=xiāngshēng (“cross talk”; comic dialogue)]相声/相聲[/POP] or such like); after which the master will not be accepting any more disciples to study under him.

It is a simple word but elegantly expresses the idea.

管麵 or 筆管麵 (bi3)guan3 mian4 penne (pasta variety that is easier to eat than spagetti). From ordering in dinner.

In the same category: difficult to eat is not 難吃 (that would be not tasty), but 吃起來有點困難.