Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

伏笔 fúbǐ foreshadowing (dropping hints in a work of literature (or film, or whatever) to what will happen later. Also used figuratively.)

悬念 xuánniàn suspense

Still reading literature reviews and diligently looking up, and often adding to Anki, all the words and chengyu I don't know. I find it really is working.

• Like 1

The word: (鬧or )烏龍

The Context: 

1) 美國:2015年環球小姐總決賽 關鍵時刻鬧烏龍 冠軍張冠李戴

‪#‎2015年環球小姐總決賽‬ 21號晚在美國舉行。比賽尾聲,主持人鬧了個大烏龍,將冠亞軍說反了。當哥倫比亞小姐頭戴皇冠,揮手示意時,主持人尷尬道歉:冠軍其實是菲律賓小姐!皇冠硬生生被摘下,重新戴到菲律賓小姐頭上。最尷尬獲獎,一起來感受下

2) 加拉維加斯的「環球小姐」決賽主持人搞烏龍,先宣布哥倫比亞小姐阿雷巴洛贏得后冠(左),之後又說他搞錯了,今年的環球小姐是菲律賓小姐伍茲巴赫。

The Explanation: (per this)

乌龙就是误入的意思,是香港广东话。 即搞错了、误会了,导致不必要的损失。 乌龙事件就是搞错了、误会了,导致不必要损失的事件。也含子虚乌有的义项。

洁癖 jiépǐ mysophobia, disorder that makes one feel compulsed to always obsessively clean everything.

Found in the sentence 读者或许可以简单地将他笔下人物结局总结为“道德洁癖” - the stories discussed often end with the petty criminal main character being arrested or otherwise getting into trouble because of said petty criminal activities, and the reader might see this as a sign of 'moral mysophobia' on the part of the author. I just love that expression.

@lips: I can't help but think of that scene in 孽子 that every episode would start with.

"Ta" -- I'm sure this has been used for ages but I'm only now noticing it all over the place online now: using hanzis for all words apart from "ta", presumably to degenderise the pronoun?

Yeah it seems to have taken over. Maddening.

• 5 weeks later...

飞面神 - the Flying Spaghetti Monster

飞面神教 - Pastafarianism

东施效颦 [pín] - Dong Shi imitates [Xi Shi's] frown - to make oneself look stupid by trying and failing to imitate one's superiors.

缠足 - another word for foot binding, along with 裹脚、小脚 etc.

I don't know, in Hong Kong all I can find is 拉麵 , though I suspect 拉面 will show up eventually...

Yeah, more and more places are catering to mainlanders these days, right?

Also, interestingly spaghetti is traditionally called 義大利粉 here, rather than 義大利麵 (though that has become more common recently).

The word I learned in my beginner's Cantonese book was simply “意粉”.

糖水片 tang2 shui3 pian4

I follow the Shenzhen daily on Weixin and they have catch phrase or word of the day from time to time.  Recently saw this one, I'll copy verbatim what they had said about it:

The term literally translates as a "sugar water photo".  It refers to portraits or scenery photos that feature aesthetic techniques and superficial beauty but lack significant or meaning.  The analyogy arises beccause sugary water is omething that tastes good but without much nutirition.  Sugar water also sounds similar to pond water in Chinese, and the latter is deemed by some shutter-bugs as a sine qua non in scenery photos.

Example sentences:

A: 小李最近拍的一组风景不错啊。

B: 还行吧,就是糖水片。