Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

满拧 - I'd encountered this a few times before, looked it up and learned it can mean "all wrong", as in "he's got that all wrong" but from the context I just found it in, seems it can sometimes be better translated as "the complete opposite", though presumably there's not a hard and fast distinction in the way it's used natively. Also get the impression it's fairly common but only come across it a few times previously to my recall and this instance today.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

爹地 diēdi - daddy

After my daughter moved back to China last year, her pronunciation of “daddy” slowly transformed into “diēdi.” She stretches out the second part of diē (dī-EHHH-di). It sounds super cute.

It turns out that 爹地 is a recognized transliteration of “daddy.” The ABC Chinese-English Dictionary and CC-CEDICT say diēdì. My daughter says diēdi, leaving the second syllable unaccented like the original English word.

• Like 3

火炎焱燚

Stumbled across in MDBG somehow.

火炎焱燚    huǒ yán yàn yì    hot (i.e. popular) (emphatic form of 火[huo3]) (neologism c. 2016)

Does anyone really use this?  Interesting character-play... are there more similar words?

• Like 2

Was double checking characters in a name, and happened to spot

杉篙 - basically a fir pole, but the interesting (sort-of) thing was the alternative pronunciation for 杉, which loses its n in certain compounds. I've never seen that before. Are there any other characters which do similar? 

shā b.f. fir (pronounced shā only in following compounds) 杉木 ¹shāmù 杉材 ²shācái

• Like 2

Heard this in the wild yesterday: https://www.zdic.net/hans/叫号 Quite logical but never encountered it before AFAIK. Context was swapping empty cooking gas bottle, which is subsidised in this village. Gas company delivered slightly fewer bottles than people had put in to exchange, so full ones were handed out in order of who'd delivered empties first. Glad I got up early and was second on list!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

糟糠之妻 zāo kāng zhī qī  https://www.zdic.net/hans/糟糠之妻 "wife of one's chaff and dregs", the wife who shares your hardscrabble early years with you who you ought not to abandon if you make it big "糟糠之妻不下堂". Came  across it in an obit for the founder of Lotte who apparently went off to Japan and did dump his first wife after starting to get on in business.

• Like 2