Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

My word of the day is both Chinese and its English counterpart: 鼻翼, the 'alae' of the nose. It appears in some dictionaries as the 'nostrils', the 鼻孔, but this seems to be inaccurate. The word 鼻翼 seems to turn up a lot in plastic surgery descriptions, and the same seems to be true of the word 'alae' (interestingly, I feel like I have heard of 'the wings of the nose' before at some point, which matches the Chinese here). While I was previously unfamiliar with the term ala, I realised I knew 'septum' in English, but not Chinese, which for those interested turns out to be 鼻中隔

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

"Lao Zhang, what are you working on today?"

"Ah, the usual. Thought I might find an obscure synonym for some common word though, keep the translator on his toes."

异邦, foreign country. 

I don't actually know how obscure it is. I don't remember ever seeing it, for what that's worth. 

• 2 weeks later...

人海战术 - Human-wave tactics - ie, a mass infantry advance into the machine-guns. 

This one had me scratching my head for a while, as I came across it in a vaguely nautical context and didn't think to take the 海 figuratively. 

On 4/16/2020 at 9:18 AM, roddy said:

异邦

I just happened upon this in the word 異邦人, and it appears it is actually Japanese (don't know if any Japanese speakers can confirm this?) I know sometimes people will borrow Japanese terms back into Chinese, do you think thats what happened in the context you heard it used?

• 4 weeks later...

When I was very little, we used to cut peat. Fortunately we stopped before I was old enough to do any of the hard work. 

What's the rustic northern Chinese equivalent of "When I were a lad..."?

Came across 籴粮 (traditional: 糴糧) recently. Fond memories of doing the monthly "rice run".

Seen on WeChat 朋友圈:

活久见      huó jiǔ jiàn    (neologism c. 2006) if you live long enough, you'll see everything; Just incredible!

Anyone know the origin of this?

• Like 2