Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

OK, here's one I know hasn't been posted here before, because I just did a forum-wide search with 0 results.

?

Spoiler

dǔn

1. block of wood
  2. (dialectal) brick-shaped clay

Example sentence

这个字是?是看着有点眼熟?

zhège zì shì dǔn shì kànzhe yǒu diǎn yǎnshoú?

• Like 4

重色轻友

=to hiberdate

(for those (like me), who have no clue what "hiberdate" means: to pay more attention to a lover than a friend; to value sex over friendship; a.k.a people, who ignore their friends when they are dating someone new)

擷取 - pick, select - not sure about context of this one, suspect it might be in the sense of a microphone being sensitive enough to pick up a sound. I probably looked it up in 2008 and have forgotten anyway. 

爬山虎 Japanese ivy or Boston ivy (Japan because it's originally from East Asia, Boston because that's where one often sees it on buildings)

So neither a tiger 老虎 nor a gecko 壁虎, but a plant.

• Like 2

哗变  huá biàn = mutiny

Pretty closely matches the English term as it means in the army or on a ship in the literal sense. Feels like I ought to have known it, but reading it in a story about recent events in Mali where it was obvious from context still did look it up to check as don't remember seeing it before. So 《凯恩舰哗变记》 is The Caine Mutiny I learned from Baidu.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 4:39 AM, imron said:

小王 - 中间多了一根的小三

So, illicit gay lover? Just trying to figure out if my mind is too dirty or too innocent ?