Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

• 2 weeks later...

美刺 - a type of praise-and-blame seen as a feature of traditional literature and its exegesis, usually traced back to the Songs of Chu 楚辞 as purportedly written by Qu Yuan of zongzi fame, where it is associated with a social commentary allegorical device known as 美人香草 / 香草美人.

糗事-qiu3shi4 scandal

糗 means dry food 干粮 as a noun  or 面条粘连在一起或饭,粥等凝成糊状 as an adjective, for example, 面条都煮糗了 

This was my first time encountering this character. I was expecting it to be 镍‘s nie4 (Nickel) and 奉为圭臬 pronuciation.But no, gotta keep 'em guessing aye.

9 hours ago, Tomsima said:

hopefully I'm getting this correct, but I just came across '資本' in a description of a person  (https://youtu.be/liW_nO7VsGY at 2:27) to mean 'capitalist'. Struck me as unusual, and apparently something I've overlooked before.

I can't check out your link so may be way off base here but you do see both capital and labour sort of personified in discussions of industrial relations etc., is it something along those lines? e.g.in the 勞資關係 Ms. X is labour and Mr. Y is capital.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim said:

I can't check out your link so may be way off base here but you do see both capital and labour sort of personified in discussions of industrial relations etc., is it something along those lines? e.g.in the 勞資關係 Ms. X is labour and Mr. Y is capital.

Agree with this. Pretty common in English too, though the usage differs slightly.

• 为资本服务 serving [those who hold] capital
  • 政客在从政之前,往往他们本身就是资本,或者是资本的代言人 Before entering politics, many politicians are capitalists themselves, or represent the interests of [those who hold] capital.

Unrelated, but quick fact check on the video's content:

Spoiler

The guy in the video's implication that a 2017 change to a California HIV law had something to do with lobbying from Gilead Sciences is, as far as I can tell, completely without evidence.

He mischaracterizes the changed law as applying exclusively to cases of intentional transmission. In fact, it was much broader, applying to "knowingly" exposing others to HIV, including failing to inform a partner of HIV status prior to sex. The change had broad support for a number of reasons, not least because the long jail term was thought to have the opposite to its intended effect, by providing a disincentive for sex workers to get tested (I can't "knowingly" expose someone if I don't get tested and therefore don't know have the disease).

As for the lobbying angle, his "evidence" seems to be that Gilead's headquarters is in California. Pretty weak, and I can't find a single English-language source that alludes to such lobbying, let alone any actual evidence.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

恐辅症   kǒng fǔ zhèng

(Internet buzzword)

Parents' phobia or anxiety regarding having to help their kids to do their homework

https://baike.baidu.com/item/恐辅症/23754281?fr=aladdin

...and a response from the Ministry of Education: 教育部:不得要求家长批改作业

第四,家长减负。一方面,不给家长增加负担。学校的作业,不能让家长监督学生去完成,也不能要求家长去批改作业,或者签核作业。另一方面,家长也不能给学生留过多的额外作业,包括校外培训的作业。

• Like 2